Shave Yahtzee Anyone?

Date
365 days of shaving20/365 (100%)
GRUYERE20/365 (100%)
GRUME January20/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special EditionFeather (4)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d a Feather in my Fatip this morning a combination I had not tried before (at least not that I am aware of at the moment).

I continued my streak of short strokes and the standard directional pattern. That worked out very well again today. Two passes and ATG on the cheeks and I was pleasantly smooth again.

The Fat was soft and smooth after starting out a little thin and wet. Nice post shave feel after a little stingy feeling post shave yesterday (maybe the shave yesterday was really close).

Great way to start the Friday!

Enjoy your shaves!

Date
365 days of shaving20/365 (100%)
GRUYERE20/365 (100%)
GRUME January20/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special EditionFeather (4)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d a Feather in my Fatip this morning a combination I had not tried before (at least not that I am aware of at the moment).

I continued my streak of short strokes and the standard directional pattern. That worked out very well again today. Two passes and ATG on the cheeks and I was pleasantly smooth again.

The Fat was soft and smooth after starting out a little thin and wet. Nice post shave feel after a little stingy feeling post shave yesterday (maybe the shave yesterday was really close).

Great way to start the Friday!

Enjoy your shaves!
I really like that razor and blade combination. Are you using the OC or SB base plate?

Cream: Cremo original
Alum: Omega stick
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: D3 Executive Fatboy w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Captain's Choice Italia & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230119_204916804.jpg

9/10

I have to get a lottery ticket today. I swear I did not fix the dice roles. Executive to Executive and on a Fatboy Friday. Only reason I didn't give this one a 10 today I had to do some extra buffing in some spots several times for some reason this morning. Absolutely no irritation though and a final great shave.

The second sample I got to try from Captains choice is a weird one to me. I opened up all the samples when I got them in and did a smell test with the family. The Italia at first to me smelled like Coke. Then the wife said that's something else and grabbed some almond extract from the kitchen and it was a perfect match. So, if you want to know what Italia smells like get some almond extract. :lol:

Shave Yahtzee Day 12
Winding down. Tomorrow is the last day for Yahtzee. This sure has been a blast!

A OK roll today. The roll gave me: A Fine Slant paired with an Treet Dura Sharp. Soap Commander Influence. A bowl lather with a Semogue Galahad C3 Premium IT.

I remember why the Fine Slant ended up in the box of unused stuff. It's a boring razor that really doesn't preform well (for me). It's boring to look at. It's way to light. It needs too shallow of an angle. It doesn't stay warm. It's boring. Once we are done Treet will get relegated to that box too. The blade feel dull right out of the package. It does a horrible job on my daily stubble no matter the razor it goes in.

The Semogue Galahad C3 Premium IT has to be my favorite boar. Great brush! It holds lather until needed. It gives me just the right amount of scritch. Perfect size.

20230120_074923.jpg

Or we complete January with the roll of a dice? 😁

Guido
I was thinking about this when I woke up today. I was thinking that maybe we do this a couple times a year but for 7 days each, or maybe 3 times. I'm definitely not a GRUME guy. I'm picking up things all the time. In this two week period I have acquired 3 new brushes and a razor. I'm just itching to try them out. How do you guys feel about doing this again in June? How many days do you think is comfortable? We are the OG S.Y.R.E.'s here, we can determine how we do this going forward.
I think I'm going to start a "S.Y.R.E.s. Shave Yahtzee Rotation Experimenters page. I'll be adding it to my signature line too.

We are the OG S.Y.R.E.'s here
Oh, I'm sorry guys. I'm not sure where you are from @jason2 but I do know that @Guido75 isn't from the USA. OG is American slang term that started out in the Hip Hop community meaning original gangster. It has morphed into meaning the original group. Sorry, I forget sometimes that this is an international communication tool. I bow in humility for my ugly Americanism. :facep:

Oh, I'm sorry guys. I'm not sure where you are from @jason2 but I do know that @Guido75 isn't from the USA. OG is American slang term that started out in the Hip Hop community meaning original gangster. It has morphed into meaning the original group. Sorry, I forget sometimes that this is an international communication tool. I bow in humility for my ugly Americanism. :facep:
No problem Ralph - I grew up listening to Ice T. I was on board!

Guido

I was thinking that maybe we do this a couple times a year but for 7 days each, or maybe 3 times.
Liking that too Ralph! January, June, July all alliterate to Yahtzee so we should be good.

And I completely understand the itching for new things. I am a GRUMEr, but most of the time I flunk out because of something I want to try. I am now in GRUYERE to really test myself!

And I received a new razor yesterday as a gift from a US brother which I immediately had to try of course. So I swapped my usual razor for this one. I used my dices on alternating days and yesterday was an in between day.

So let’s go ahead, keep the thought alive, and have you enjoy those new brushes!

Cheers,

Guido

Liking that too Ralph! January, June, July all alliterate to Yahtzee so we should be good.
I'm not ashamed that I had to look up alliterate, but then it took me a couple minutes to get it. I kept asking myself, "what the hell is he talking about? There is no J in Yahtzee!" Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 🤣

Hey, any month of the year will do for a week of randomised rotation! I am having so much fun in using blades and razor combinations I have never put together, soaps I hadn’t touched for a while and my brushes like this rotation too - gives them a better chance in properly drying.

Guido

I'm not ashamed that I had to look up alliterate, but then it took me a couple minutes to get it. I kept asking myself, "what the hell is he talking about? There is no J in Yahtzee!" Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 🤣
Well English is not my native tongue so if I tried to bluff my way into a fancy word, I am more than willing to stand corrected 😅.

Guido

Shave Yahtzee Day 13

A OK roll today. The roll gave me: A Merkur 25C OC paired with an Perma Sharp. Muhle Shaving Stick Sea Buckthorn. A hand lather with a Simpson Trafalgar T3

A good shave today. The 25C and the Perma Sharp produced a wonderfully smooth and surprisingly efficient shave.

If you haven't tried a Muhle Shave Stick, I seriously recommend it. It produced wonderful later that is ultra slick. It is perfect for traveling.

Hand beats face every time (at least for lathering).

20230121_075251.jpg

Cream: Cremo original
Alum: Omega stick
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: Muramasa w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Fine Bay Rum - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230120_192653673.jpg

7/10

Went to aggressive with the settings. Still getting a feel of this razor. Went 5 on face and 3 on neck. Super efficient. Super irritation on the neck. No blood but wow my neck is burning.

Perfect timing for the Fine. I'm not a Bay Rum person but this aftershave feels really good. Definitely helped the neck. I need to get another Fine scent.

Well boys, today is it. It has been a pleasure rolling dice with you guys. I learned a few things with my line up as well as yours. It was great getting to know you guys a little better. I'll be setting up our S.Y.R.E. thread in the next few days. I'll post a link to it here. I have an idea brewing in my head for our next Shave Yahtzee. I'll elaborate later. If you guys have a preference as to June or July, let me know.

Here are the things I learned.

7 O'clock Black - Nope! Really over hyped as to it's sharpness.

Treet Dura Sharp - Nope! I'll never venture into Treet products again.

Personna Lab Blue - What a find! They are going into my permanent rotation. They may be expensive, but well worth it.

Stirling Soap - I cannot make this soap work with my water. They are all going into storage.

Chiseled Face Soap - What a re-find! Damn fine soap.

Ikon B1 OC - Still a disappointment.

Fatip Storto Chrome Original - This exceptional slant now has a permanent spot in my rotation.

Fine Slant - No wonder Fine stopped making razors.

Merkur 25 C OC - With a very sharp blade, this razor performs very well, is nimble, and worth keeping around close to mix in every now and then.

Hand beats face anyday!

Scuttles are the best, ever, the best, period! (I didn't learn that, I already knew that!)

I had a blast too Ralph! Thanks for hosting this and continuing with a dedicated thread. I particularly learned I have all the gear I need for wonderful shaves and some hidden gems in blades and soaps.

SYRE specifically helped me to get a handle on my rotation, see what I like and how I can incorporate what I have on a regular basis. Much fun!!

Added SYRE to my signature yesterday!

Cheers,

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving19/365 (100%)
GRUYERE19/365 (100%)
GRUME January19/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Old Type OCEddison (4)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

My first shave with the OT (I might have rigged the dice for this one :blush:) and boy that did not disappoint!! What an amazing shave! After two passes I was at light BBS / DFS+ and I followed up with an ATG on the cheeks and parts of the neck. Slight touch up on the problem areas and I was done. Wow!

Thank you @mgweatherly for this very fine razor and the opportunity to try this one. It was superb!

More details on the shave can be found here. The story behind this razor can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom