Shave Yahtzee Anyone?

Date
365 days of shaving16/365 (100%)
GRUYERE16/365 (100%)
GRUME January16/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2
WTGC: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide / Slant (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
N: Mirrored Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Mostly straight/Slanted (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41Dorco Titan (2)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Haslinger Sandelholz
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~15 minutes)8/10 (weepers on the right jaw line)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS+)
7/10 (smooth but burning post shave)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee provided two giants in my den again and I have tried their combination before with fine results. This time was no different, although I experienced a more burning sensation post shave than I usually do. Haslinger and the T3 were a joy to use today as well. The dice was nice to me so far.

Splendid results with areas of improvement for an even better shave. Tomorrow is another day of doing just that.

More details to this shave and other insights can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave!

Cream: Cremo original
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: Parker Variant w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Fine Bay Rum & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230115_200929453.jpg

10/10

What a great all around experience. I was so happy when the dice rolled me the Variant. I really really like this razor. I'd say my favorite modern razor so far. Pretty well up there as all time favorite. I could be fine with just this razor alone. The handle for me is just perfect. Just the right length, nice diameter, great knurling, balanced really well with the head, and a good weight but not to heavy.

The scalloped safety bars glide over everything effortlessly. It twirls around in my hand like I'm an expert baton twirler.

It's loud. For those that love audible feedback this is it. I can actually hear it at times while shaving. And that's while in the shower, exhaust fan running, and with daily short stubble. I even heard it this morning like listening to Simon and Garfunkel. Hello my old friend...

I used to have a merkur progress. It went away after getting this razor. Needless to say I bought a second Variant in case the first breaks on me and they don't make them anymore.

The after shave was unexpected too. I got my first bay rum of any kind in yesterday and the first from the brand Fine. When I first opened it up after getting it I was put off a bit and was like oh no! I put it up in rotation anyway to give it a chance. And well ... The dice gave me a chance to try it out right away. I was really hoping this wasn't going to happen.

But! The aftershave feels amazing. The scent I don't think I could do every day. It's a bit much for me on the spices. Reminds me of potpourri or something. But the feeling of the aftershave made my face feel sooooo good. I will have to get another fragrance from Fine.

Last edited:
Shave Yahtzee Day 9

Good news / bad news roll today. The roll gave me: A Muhle R41 Grande, 2nd day in a row, paired with an Treet Dura Sharp. Soap Commander Influence. A scuttle lather with a Simpson Trafalgar T3.

Let's start with the bad news. The R41 with the Treet bad blade STINKS!!!! I was blown away at how bad this combination was. Today's shave skipped and dragged its way across my face. I even looked the blade over when I was done because it was so bad I though maybe a Shark had been slipped into the package by mistake. I've never had a bad shave with the R41 until today.

Today was head shaving day and I luckily rolled the Simpson Trafalgar T3. Since my head shaves are not a part of Yahtzee, I decided to try the Simpson on my head. My usual head brush is the Zenith The Big One. The Simpson T3 worked very nicely. The know is a little bigger than I like but it worked exceptionally well on my face and creating beautiful lather.

It's day 2 of rain and chilly weather in Phoenix. The shaving gods were smiling on me today with a roll for a scuttle. I really like scuttles.

20230116_083627.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving17/365 (100%)
GRUYERE17/365 (100%)
GRUME January17/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WTGN-S
XTGL:W-E
R:E-W
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBvintage London Bridge (3)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
9.5/10 (almost GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d my way into a great shave today! The dices provided the vintage London blade for my Ti95 together with Proraso and DVH Synthetic. Very pleased. I was wondering how the blade would behave though as I am not yet familiar with its mileage.

I watched an old YT of Geofatboy the other day on going ATG (nothing new) and it inspired me to do his routine to see how it would work out. Straight passes no exotic techniques. Two passes, ATG on the cheeks and some touch ups I must say the results are not all that bad and good actually. It is not a full blown BBS I usually get (chase might be a better term), but I am smooth all over with the exception of the trouble spots on my neck.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shaves everyone!

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: '46 Milord w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Aqua Velva Ice Blue & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230116_204117164.jpg

7/10 or maybe 8/10 or could be 9/10

Yeah, no idea how to rate this shave. As I was shaving it felt rough on the neck. I was like yep, let the blood letting begin. But then noticed it looked and felt ok Then used an alum stick and had no feed back. Then putting on the aftershave felt great and face all nicely pampered. The Milord definitely has more blade feel to it then the superspeed that the ranger tech/milord morphed into.

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: '46 Milord w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Aqua Velva Ice Blue & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
View attachment 1589621

7/10 or maybe 8/10 or could be 9/10

Yeah, no idea how to rate this shave. As I was shaving it felt rough on the neck. I was like yep, let the blood letting begin. But then noticed it looked and felt ok Then used an alum stick and had no feed back. Then putting on the aftershave felt great and face all nicely pampered. The Milord definitely has more blade feel to it then the superspeed that the ranger tech/milord morphed into.
Maybe the blade/razor combination? I had that happen with the Treet Dura Sharp yesterday.

Last edited:
Have to say this has been fun and challenging to adjust shaving styles from one razor to another everyday. Going from a super heavy weight, to a super well balanced , to a dainty little edgy blade, from adjustable to fixed, from thin to super thick top caps, negative exposure to positive, steep and shallow angles...

Thanks for starting this thread. I see myself rolling the dice for some time to come.

Shave Yahtzee Day 9

Not a bad roll today. The roll gave me: A Fine Slant paired with an Treet Dura Sharp. Stirling Smoky Grapefruit. A hand lather with a Zenith Traditional Horse.

So the Treet did much better in the Fine Slant than yesterdays R41. The Fine is a very mild razor for me but works well. It needs a few passes to get a good shave but it gets the job done well. It's certainly not worth the $$$ it costs.

The Zenith Horse is a fine brush. Very serviceable and produces excellent lather. Since they are made of tail and/or mane trimmings (depending on the brush knot) they are ecologically friendly.

Hand lathering is far superior to face lathering in my opinion. I just don't see a need to go directly to the face when you can build a quality lather in your hand.

Still not a fan of Stirling. Once Yahtzee is done, they will all be retired or gifted. I know it's my water here.

20230117_081456.jpg

Damn, I forgot the dice in the pic :(

Last edited:
Date
365 days of shaving18/365 (100%)
GRUYERE18/365 (100%)
GRUME January18/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Super Speed v2Personna Red (9)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
AlphaMen2.0
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d my birth year razor with a Personna blade combined with a lovely Aventus clone for shaving soap. A fantastic shave ensued with the blade showing no signs of fatigue at all. Smooth and comfortable.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave!

Shave Yahtzee Day 10
The first Shave Yahtzee is winding down. This sure has been fun!

Another not bad roll today. The roll gave me: A Merkur 45 Bakelite paired with an Personna Lab Blue. Fine Snakebite. A scuttle lather with a Omega EVO E1863.

It's too bad the TSA is being suck d**ks about DE razors because this would be an excellent traveler. It is a very mild razor that requires paying attention to the angle in order for it to work efficiently. This razor requires a much more shallow angle than I like to use but for what it is, it works well. The other thing about this razor, for me anyway, is it requires buffing. The Lab Blue gave me no issues. I am looking forward to being able to choose myself what I'm going to shave with so I can get this blade in my really aggressive razors and see how they fare.

Have I mentioned this before? I LOVE SCUTTLES! Maybe once or twice! It does seem rather counter-intuitive to use a scuttle with heavily mentholated soap but in reality warm lather is wonderful no matter what or when.

I've learned a lot about brushes and my preferences over the last couple years. I will say that this is a fine brush. Omega hit a home run with this synth. That said, I will put this away until September once we are done.

20230118_015112.jpg

Last edited:
Alum: Omega stick
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: ~'35-'39 Eclipse Red Ring w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Epsilon Mediterranean Blue & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230117_211238694.jpg

10/10 7/10 ??/10 8/10 9/10

I'm horrible at this rating game. But this razor is very different from everything else I have. It glides very smoothly. Deceptively has very little blade gap. Quietly has little blade feel. But one small tiny nano meter off on the angle and it bites. Only way I feel like I can describe it. All bite and no bark.

This razor is also "adjustable". Just like the old Gillette's were. Little, and I mean little, twist back and it gets aggressive quickly. I like the notches and arrow on the bottom to help you know how much has been twisted. I can't do more then the second notch.

Anyway back to the shave. Feels great first pass through. Amazing feeling even. 10/10 all day everyday. And it's highly effective. Pretty well could be done there. Second pass and that's when it bit me right under my chin and irritated both sides of my neck.

But then nothing . Bite was a nip and the irritation a tingle. Second pass and there was absolutely nothing left to touch up. Alum stick didn't even get to my chin before it stopped bleeding on its own. Mild feedback on the neck.

Don't know why but first time this aftershave has been rolled. To me it's a bit like Aqua Velva. People advertise it like it's a replacement for Floid Blue but I've never used Floid blue. It's a nice refreshing scent and lasts a bit longer then aqua velva but not strongly.

Last edited:
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: ~'35-'39 Eclipse Red Ring w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Epsilon Mediterranean Blue & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
View attachment 1590211

10/10 7/10 ??/10 8/10 9/10

I'm horrible at this rating game. But this razor is very different from everything else I have. It glides very smoothly. Deceptively has very little blade gap. Quietly has little blade feel. But one small tiny nano meter off on the angle and it bites. Only way I feel like I can describe it. All bite and no bark.

This razor is also "adjustable". Just like the old Gillette's were. Little, and I mean little, twist back and it gets aggressive quickly. I like the notches and arrow on the bottom to help you know how much has been twisted. I can't do more then the second notch.

Anyway back to the shave. Feels great first pass through. Amazing feeling even. 10/10 all day everyday. And it's highly effective. Pretty well could be done there. Second pass and that's when it bit me right under my chin and irritated both sides of my neck.

But then nothing . Bite was a nip and the irritation a tingle. Second pass and there was absolutely nothing left to touch up. Alum stick didn't even get to my chin before it stopped bleeding on its own. Mild feedback on the neck.

Don't know why but first time this aftershave has been rolled. To me it's a bit like Aqua Velva. People advertise it like it's a replacement for Floid Blue but I've never used Floid blue. It's a nice refreshing scent and lasts a bit longer then aqua velva but not strongly.
That is a sexy razor!

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: '49/'50 Executive w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Captain's Choice Noreaster & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230118_171415493.jpg

10/10

When the shave is smooth, effortless, and feels great it's easy to rate the shave. This has to be one of the best razors ever made.

I got to try one of the Captain's Choice samplers I got in. Noreaster smells really nice and refreshing. This is not like Aqua Velva and a step away from Epsilon Blue Mediterranean but some familiarity to it. Felt great on the face and I would get this one. I like it better then Epsilon Blue.

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: '49/'50 Executive w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Captain's Choice Noreaster & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
View attachment 1590746

10/10

When the shave is smooth, effortless, and feels great it's easy to rate the shave. This has to be one of the best razors ever made.

I got to try one of the Captain's Choice samplers I got in. Noreaster smells really nice and refreshing. This is not like Aqua Velva and a step away from Epsilon Blue Mediterranean but some familiarity to it. Felt great on the face and I would get this one. I like it better then Epsilon Blue.
Is the Nor'easter heavily mentholated?

Shave Yahtzee Day 11

A good roll today. The roll gave me: A Fatip Storto Chrome Original paired with an Personna Lab Blue. Stirling Smoky Grapefruit. A bowl lather with a Zenith Traditional Horse.

Nothing really new here. The Fatip shines. The Perssona Lab Blue is an excellent blade. The Stirling still doesn't work with my water. And a horse is a horse of course of course.

20230119_081227.jpg

Top Bottom