What's new

Shave Yahtzee Anyone?

I am currently participating in Decemboar. I have forced myself to break out of storage a lot of shaving goodies that I have relegated to "back up stock" or the "I don’t think I’ll ever use this again" stock. I'm making myself mix things up some for the month by revisiting items used and stored away. It has been good to revisit some of these items and some not so good.

So, I had an idea. I’m not sure if this has been done before. I searched the threads and couldn’t find anything. With that said, here is my idea for a fun 2-week game.

Shave Yahtzee! Here’s the thought:

1 or 5 six sided dice (just your regular craps or Yahtzee dice). If you use 5, you’ll have to figure out a way to determine which is for which catagory, i.e. different colors or plainly marked.

Assign one of 5 categories to a dice (or roll 1 dice 5 times).

Each roll of the dice returns a number corresponding to a preselected item from each category. Hang in there with me, this will become quite clear in a moment.

Here are the 5 categories
1. Brush
2. Soap or Cream
3. Blade
4. Bowl/Face/Scuttle/Mug/Hand (there is no 6th that I can think of)
5. Razor

Each category will get assigned 2 – 6 items in that category. For example, in the blade category a roll of a 1 on the dice will be a Feather, a 2 on the dice will be a Derby, a 3 on the dice will be a 7’oclock Black, etc., etc. You pick the items you want to include in your categories and assign them a number on the dice.

If you don’t have 6 items in that category, no problem. Assign more than one number to that item or roll again until you get a number that has something associated with it. Let’s say you only have 2 brushes, a synth and a boar. Either make the 1,3,5 the synth and the 2,4,6 the boar or just roll until you get a 1 or a 2. For category number 4 either don’t use the 6 or assign one item 2 numbers.

I know that a lot of you guys wear cologne or scented aftershaves so I thought it was best to leave those off the category list. As "fun" as that might be I didn't want anything that might make you guys smell “funky”.

If you can fill out all 6 items per category (except #4) then there are a possible 6,480 combinations to try. I think it would force a lot of us to revisit things that we had given up on or forgotten about. I also think that 2 weeks is plenty long. I know I crave routine and when I don’t get it, I miss it, but I also appreciate the unknown. Each day would bring the uncertainty and excitement of trying something new.

I think that if this sounds like something folks want to join in on, that Jan 8th would be a good start date. It would give everyone plenty of time to try out and break in any Christmas goodies Santa left in your stocking.

Anyone else want in? I would just like to gauge participation at this point. If it sounds like fun, maybe I can develop a sign-up sheet with all that you’re going to use and how we share the experience of the day’s Shave Yahtzee.

What a fun idea! Seems like it could be a good time, I’ll be following along and may give it a shot! There was a similar idea that went around for a while. The name is eluding me currently. Something to do with a daily number draw for each category also!

I am currently participating in Decemboar. I have forced myself to break out of storage a lot of shaving goodies that I have relegated to "back up stock" or the "I don’t think I’ll ever use this again" stock. I'm making myself mix things up some for the month by revisiting items used and stored away. It has been good to revisit some of these items and some not so good.

So, I had an idea. I’m not sure if this has been done before. I searched the threads and couldn’t find anything. With that said, here is my idea for a fun 2-week game.

Shave Yahtzee! Here’s the thought:

1 or 5 six sided dice (just your regular craps or Yahtzee dice). If you use 5, you’ll have to figure out a way to determine which is for which catagory, i.e. different colors or plainly marked.

Assign one of 5 categories to a dice (or roll 1 dice 5 times).

Each roll of the dice returns a number corresponding to a preselected item from each category. Hang in there with me, this will become quite clear in a moment.

Here are the 5 categories
1. Brush
2. Soap or Cream
3. Blade
4. Bowl/Face/Scuttle/Mug/Hand (there is no 6th that I can think of)
5. Razor

Each category will get assigned 2 – 6 items in that category. For example, in the blade category a roll of a 1 on the dice will be a Feather, a 2 on the dice will be a Derby, a 3 on the dice will be a 7’oclock Black, etc., etc. You pick the items you want to include in your categories and assign them a number on the dice.

If you don’t have 6 items in that category, no problem. Assign more than one number to that item or roll again until you get a number that has something associated with it. Let’s say you only have 2 brushes, a synth and a boar. Either make the 1,3,5 the synth and the 2,4,6 the boar or just roll until you get a 1 or a 2. For category number 4 either don’t use the 6 or assign one item 2 numbers.

I know that a lot of you guys wear cologne or scented aftershaves so I thought it was best to leave those off the category list. As "fun" as that might be I didn't want anything that might make you guys smell “funky”.

If you can fill out all 6 items per category (except #4) then there are a possible 6,480 combinations to try. I think it would force a lot of us to revisit things that we had given up on or forgotten about. I also think that 2 weeks is plenty long. I know I crave routine and when I don’t get it, I miss it, but I also appreciate the unknown. Each day would bring the uncertainty and excitement of trying something new.

I think that if this sounds like something folks want to join in on, that Jan 8th would be a good start date. It would give everyone plenty of time to try out and break in any Christmas goodies Santa left in your stocking.

Anyone else want in? I would just like to gauge participation at this point. If it sounds like fun, maybe I can develop a sign-up sheet with all that you’re going to use and how we share the experience of the day’s Shave Yahtzee.
Seems like every shave I perform I have been doing pretty much this Shave Yahtzee as you call it. It’s a sign of too much gear lol

I love this idea Ralph! I have set up a spreadsheet with randomisation for each item I have to determine my rotation. I have not fully used that yet and I like the term Shave Yahtzee (well played there Ralph!!).

I am still going back and forth on how to approach my rotations (and trying to 3017 some soaps too - but I guess that would depend on how many items you bring into play right?).

Cheers,

Guido

Finally, a taker! Great! I guess I'll be digging dice out of the storage unit.
Like I said in the original post, 5 categories and up to 6 items in each category.
I'll pull together a sheet to enter the items to be used.

Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

BrushSoap/CreamRazorBladeLather Method

So here is a basic template. I am going to fill in one with the decisions I have made at this point. I haven't made all the decisions yet but here is a start. If anyone has a 6th option for Lather Method, let me know.

Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

BrushSoap/CreamRazorBladeLather Method
1Semogue Excelsior 830
Lupo .95 OCFeatherBowl
2Omega Mixed Midget
Jaws .84 OCAstra SPFace
3Zenith Traditional Horse
Fatip Storto Chrome Original7 O'clock BlackMug
4Zenith Manchurian 2-Band
Muhle R41 GrandePerma SharpScuttle

Personna Lab BlueHand

Treet Dura Sharp(Roll again)

So the rows are the combinations then right? No, wait - only after rolling the dices would you know.

Would it be ok to add a seventh row (and roll the dices one more time) to make it a weekly setup? Not that it matters, rolling forward 6 days gets you there too.

I’m sure I am over complicating things as usual. You could also make the spreadsheet and roll on a daily basis to get your day rotation. Duh!

Oh, and every band of brothers needs an acronym. First thing that came to my mind: S.Y.R.E. - Shave Yahtzee Rotation Entertainment. Maybe Experience or Experiment are better?

Guido

Last edited:
So the rows are the combinations then right? No, wait - only after rolling the dices would you know.

Would it be ok to add a seventh row (and roll the dices one more time) to make it a weekly setup? Not that it matters, rolling forward 6 days gets you there too.

I’m sure I am over complicating things as usual. You could also make the spreadsheet and roll on a daily basis to get your day rotation. Duh!

Oh, and every band of brothers needs an acronym. First thing that came to my mind: S.Y.R.E. - Shave Yahtzee Rotation Entertainment. Maybe Experience or Experiment are better?

Guido
I like experiment :001_smile

Sounds like a new variant of Shave Roulette... which we used to play in 2020. It's been fun, but in course of time the number of participants unfortunately decreased...

On Shave Roulette we had one brother in charge who published the daily spin for the next day (so in good time)... the spin was a four digit number which was generated on a random basis:

The spin number is 4 digits. You can interpret it however you like. I will give you an example using razors. Let's assume you have 5 razors, I would do something like this (I'm just going to fill in some items with random brand/types).
Razor
0 = gillette tech
1 = razorock mamba
2 = Rex ambassador
3 = focs
4 = gem
5 = gillette tech
6 = razorock mamba
7 = Rex ambassador
8 = focs
9 = gem

Start with zero and fill in the brand/types you have, up to number nine. If you have less then 10 items then start repeating the list. It's easy if the number of items is a multiple of 10, otherwise you don't get a perfect distribution, but that's OK.
Repeat that same procedure for brushes, soaps/creams, and blades.
Most participants interpret the spin number like this (simply because that's how the first participants did it), but you're free to do whatever you like:
1st digit = lather
2nd digit = brush
3rd digit = razor
4th digit = blade
... tba

You're free to reuse a digit for something else like Aftershave, but that might get a little weird if the scent clashes with the soap/cream.

So given the above example, and interpret digit 3 for the razor, if the spin is xx3x then you would use a focs razor.
Be sure to share your winning bid and/or your shave experience with us...

Us guys need a new event in January, don't we?

I was thinking something simple based on something we all know. 5 dice, 6 options per dice. Roll the 5 dice, get together what the 5 pips show, and shave. I know I tend to over complicate things so I was trying for something easy and thoughtless. I was also thinking this would be a good way to get items together that I know I have reluctantly used together. I mean, how much gear do most of us have that rarely gets used. You never know what gem may be hidden.

I was thinking something simple based on something we all know. 5 dice, 6 options per dice. Roll the 5 dice, get together what the 5 pips show, and shave. I know I tend to over complicate things so I was trying for something easy and thoughtless. I was also thinking this would be a good way to get items together that I know I have reluctantly used together. I mean, how much gear do most of us have that rarely gets used. You never know what gem may be hidden.
I think this will be a simple and easy to use approach Ralph. And all we then have to do is report our shave of the day using the selected items. I think that's where the Shave Roulette takes a different take on things. It worked for a while with @JAHE definitely pitching in to keep the ball (dice!) rolling with pictures and all. Perhaps making it into a month-event would result into more motivation. And rolling the dices yourself is not a bad idea either (I found an Excel automated equivalent by the way).

Guido.

(I found an Excel automated equivalent by the way).
I like throwing dice :devil: For those who don't have dice, a link to a randomizer might be nice. I thought two weeks would be a good start. I think that 30 days is a long time to go having to do something a certain way. Maybe once it gets going, wanting it to continue will happen. If a few people join in, who knows what it will grow into.

I like throwing dice :devil: For those who don't have dice, a link to a randomizer might be nice. I thought two weeks would be a good start. I think that 30 days is a long time to go having to do something a certain way. Maybe once it gets going, wanting it to continue will happen. If a few people join in, who knows what it will grow into.
I didn't ment to derail your approach, just wanted to show you how we did it back in the days. The "spin of the day" presented by just one person was great fun though... oh the anticipation until the new number was presented 🤪...

I guess 2 or 4 weeks is doable and fun...
Just make sure to define a starting point...

Besides, random.org was the tool of choice back in the days... 😉

Just proceed & have fun!

Top Bottom