What's new

Shave Yahtzee Anyone?

Cream: Cremo original
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: D1 Red Dot Fatboy w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Proraso & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230112_195037839.jpg

8/10 and entirely my fault

Love the standard toggle head on a standard Fatboy handle. I just was lazy, rushed, or forgetful or all the above and didn't to dial down the razor for my neck right away. Setting 5 on the face and I normally dial way down to 1 for the neck. A weeper and some irritation reminded me.

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: D1 Red Dot Fatboy w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Proraso & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
View attachment 1587363

8/10 and entirely my fault

Love the standard toggle head on a standard Fatboy handle. I just was lazy, rushed, or forgetful or all the above and didn't to dial down the razor for my neck right away. Setting 5 on the face and I normally dial way down to 1 for the neck. A weeper and some irritation reminded me.
This is one of those hobbies that reminds up pretty quickly when we get complacent, isn't it?

Shave Yahtzee Day 6

Dumb dice! The roll gave me: A Fatip Storto Chrome Original paired with a Perma Sharp. Chisled Face Cryogen. A face lather with a Omega EVO E1863.

2 days in a row with the Fatip and Cryogen. You haven't lived until you face later Cryogen with a 28mm knot brush! I actually had to wipe the tears away this morning. All those menthol fumes agitated right under my eyes... oh my!

The Perma Sharps were too mild in the Fatip. Like I said previously, 4 of the 6 blades (the Perma Sharp being one of the 4) were to force myself to try new blades and get out of my Feather rut. I chose the ones I did due to the general agreeance of sharpness. In the Fatip, it was not sharp. Maybe in my more aggressive razors it will perform better.

I really like the Omega Evo. It is a synth that I recommend highly. I shaved with it for a year exclusively when they first hit the market.

I really only face lather with small knots. That's what this challenge is all about though right? Trying things we normally wouldn't. 28mm is just to big to wield around the face without getting soap everywhere. And a 28mm knot in synth is tough because it doesn't hold water. I had to go to the well many times to get the lather right. Today there was soap everywhere. What a mess.

20230113_075741.jpg

Last edited:
Shave Yahtzee Day 6

Dumb dice! The roll gave me: A Fatip Storto Chrome Original paired with a Perma Sharp. Chisled Face Cryogen. A face lather with a Omega EVO E1863.

2 days in a row with the Fatip and Cryogen. You haven't lived until you face later Cryogen with a 28mm knot brush! I actually had to wipe the tears away this morning. All those menthol fumes agitated right under my eyes... oh my!

The Perma Sharps were too mild in the Fatip. Like I said previously, 4 of the 6 blades (the Perma Sharp being one of the 4) were to force myself to try new blades and get out of my Feather rut. I chose the ones I did due to the general agreeance of sharpness. In the Fatip, it was not sharp. Maybe in my more aggressive razors it will perform better.

I really like the Omega Evo. It is a synth that I recommend highly. I shaved with it for a year exclusively when they first hit the market.

I really only face lather with small knots. That's what this challenge is all about though right? Trying things we normally wouldn't. 28mm is just to big to wield around the face without getting soap everywhere. And a 28mm knot in synth is tough because it doesn't hold water. I had to go to the well many times to get the lather right. Today there was soap everywhere. What a mess.

View attachment 1587455
Ah yes the FOCS…(I sound like I have one, but I actually don’t)…everything that begins with Fa and ends with Tip is excellent in my book!

Guido

5298BA94-4D75-4C00-8B83-3C49044CE92F.jpeg

Shave Yahtzee (2,4,6,6,3)

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: Tatara Masamune Ti
Blade: Dorco Titan

Soap: P.A.A. Cavalier
Brush: AKA Brushworx Winter Shine

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Round two of Shave Yahtzee and I again rolled both a Phoenix Shaving soap and the jar/face lathering method. I'm starting to see a trend here and I wouldn't blame anyone for claiming "rigged" if this happens a third time.

With the titanium Tatara Masamune chosen for me, the shave gods felt the need to provide me with another weapon for the coming battle. The Dorco Titan. This is a blade I've never used before but was eager to gain some experience with so onward with the shave.

The AKA Brushworx brush was a gift from a friend of mine over the holidays that I hadn't yet used because of DecemBoar and BADGERary. Thanks to Shave Yahtzee and the roll of the die that all changed today.

As I said earlier I drew the jar/face lathering method so I swirled the Winter Shine brush in the Cavalier soap jar and went to it on my face. For a 26mm bulb knot, this brush felt big. The handle is nice and thick 😉 but the knot also felt pretty substantial. I didn't have an issue with this but it was an observation I feel needs pointing out.

The Cavalier soap smells fantastic and is one of the famous Phoenix Shaving "mash-up" soaps. It's a great blend of both Gondolier and Cavendish which are two of the best fragrances they make in their own right.

With a thick and slick layer of the CK-6 base, I used the Tatara to effortlessly remove all hair from my face. I did four passes and earned a bbs face. Turns out the Dorco Titan blade performed quite well. I would say I was surprised by it but I was at least a little bit impressed.

With another great shave in the books, I hadn't yet decided what aftershave to use so in the spur of the moment I reached for some Pinaud Clubman (original). You can't really go wrong with the original, so...

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. My Shave Yahtzee, Friday the 13th shave was a good one.

Take care everyone and enjoy your shaves!

Date
365 days of shaving14/365 (100%)
GRUYERE14/365 (100%)
GRUME January14/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2
WTGC: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
N: Mirrored Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Mostly straight/Slanted (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBFeather (3)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Tallow Tabac
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee presented the combination I wanted to try ever since I got my Ti95 SCB. The Ti95 with a Feather is a worthy contender to yesterday’s Swing and the razor easily proved its position as my top razor. I was BBS after the second pass. Spectacular shave today!

Kept technique pretty much the same as I have done this past week. I think the slight change in ATG strokes transitioning from neck to jaw line are paying off.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your Saturday shave!

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: '31 Ca #164 Goodwill w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Speik & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive

IMG_20230113_153044849.jpg

8/10 on right neck due opening up yesterday's weeper and neck irritation
9/10 on left neck for just new mild irritation no new weepers
10/10 under the nose this can get there like no other
11/10 for razor looks

This shave was slightly better then my pre war tech but less then my executive shaves. This is an efficient shaver with mild blade feel. I just love looking at it though. It's a piece of art to me.

IMG_20230113_214753176.jpg

Shave Yahtzee Day 7
We're at the half way point

Surprising and excellent dice roll today. The roll gave me: A Merkur 25C OC paired with a Treet Dura Sharp. Fine Snake Bite. A face lather with a Zenith Manchurian 2-Band.

The Merkur 25C is a razor that has been burried for a long time. I was never impressed with this razor. Paired with the Treet today I was pretty blown away at how efficient and smooth this pair is. My one complaint about this razor though is the handle. Too thin! Too long! I'm looking forward to trying the Treet blades in my more aggressive razors when Yahtzee ends.

Fine Snake Bite is a nice soap. On a scale of 1 - 10 for menthol, it's a solid 7 (where the Cryogen is a Spinal Tap 11). If you like menthol but don't want to blast yourself in the face with a Nor'Easter, it's a good choice.

The Zenith Manchurian is such a nice brush. Loads of backbone for a badger and such a wonderful handle. That said, I really do not like face lathering!

20230114_084114.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving15/365 (100%)
GRUYERE15/365 (100%)
GRUME January15/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide / Slant (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomGillette Blacks (3)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8/10 (weepers above the upper lip)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS+)
8/10 (smooth with harsher elements)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee provided the combination that had effectiveness written all over it. If I skip the slightly harsher shave in place and forget about the weepers the rest of the shave was absolutely lovely! I am smooth as a baby in all areas.

More details on this shave can be found on my journal here.

A great start of this Sunday.

Enjoy your shave!

Date
365 days of shaving15/365 (100%)
GRUYERE15/365 (100%)
GRUME January15/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide / Slant (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomGillette Blacks (3)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8/10 (weepers above the upper lip)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS+)
8/10 (smooth with harsher elements)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee provided the combination that had effectiveness written all over it. If I skip the slightly harsher shave in place and forget about the weepers the rest of the shave was absolutely lovely! I am smooth as a baby in all areas.

More details on this shave can be found on my journal here.

A great start of this Sunday.

Enjoy your shave!
A touch of blood reminds us we're alive, right? 🩸:crazy:

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Aqua Velva & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230114_185155746.jpg

10/10

Nice easy feel good shave. I haven't seen much talked about these Viking Blades razors. I don't know much about them besides this Augustus one. For the safety bars here's a smooth side and a scalloped side. Supposedly the smooth side is for more sensitive areas. I use that side on my neck. I think it's the only razor I have that's like this.

I really like the thick longer handle on it. That does make it handle heavy if that's a positive or negative I guess depends on the person using it. This razor is one of my heaviest.

Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Aqua Velva & head/neck - Nivea Sensitive
View attachment 1588515

10/10

Nice easy feel good shave. I haven't seen much talked about these Viking Blades razors. I don't know much about them besides this Augustus one. For the safety bars here's a smooth side and a scalloped side. Supposedly the smooth side is for more sensitive areas. I use that side on my neck. I think it's the only razor I have that's like this.

I really like the thick longer handle on it. That does make it handle heavy if that's a positive or negative I guess depends on the person using it. This razor is one of my heaviest.
That's an interesting razor.

D79E90A8-B5F2-41FE-AFEC-A8D36EE05CF0.jpeg
E116075D-E0EB-4DAE-A32F-9348AB3B91A5.jpeg

Shave Yahtzee (55225 / Single-Edge Sunday / Cheapies Week / BADGERary

Razor: Gem Push-Botton ('60s)
Blade: Gem by Personna

Soap: Stirling Soap Company Sandpiper
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready
Bowl: Tillamook Cobalt

Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Citrus Musk EdC

By chance, I just so happened to roll a Personna blade and a Gem razor. This was very interesting because Personna is the only brand of single-edge blade I have on my Shave Yahtzee chart. Lucky me.

Today's roll was also quite timely as the Gem Push-Botton fits right in with Single-Edge Sunday. 😉

The Shave Gods switched things up and gave me a turn at using some Stirling Soap Company shave soap, so for today I opted to go with the every glorious Sandpiper. Its scent is sophisticated, crisp, and masculine with a top note of cardamom, middle notes of bergamot, cedar, and lavender, and base notes of vetiver and caraway. This scent is a real "safe" "winner" for just about all men. You could very easily be happy with Sandpiper as a blind buy.

The Tillamook bowl has a great cobalt blue color and is the perfect width for whipping up an awesome lather with the Heritage Collection Ever-Ready brush. This brush never fails with its White High Mountain badger hair. It's just so soft at the tips and splays with ease! I know I'm in for a treat when I use this brush.

The Gem razor was light but too light. The head has a little weight and a pretty shallow angle built in. The handle feel wasn't the best in my opinion. You do need to keep your thumb on the black bump at the bottom to keep a good grip on the razor but it's just a minor gripe.

I did a four-pass shave and ended up with a nice bbs shave. I then finished things off with some nice Citrus Musk Eau de Cologne. If you haven't tried this one, you should!

Happy Sunday and enjoy your shaves!

Shave Yahtzee Day 8

Nice roll today. The roll gave me: A Muhle R41 Grande paired with an Astra SP. PAA Clown Fruit. A bowl lather with a Zenith Traditional Horse.

No it's a rainy day here in Phoenix so I wasn't holding out much hope for a good shave. I hate it when it rains! 20 years in Seattle will do that to you. But the dice treated me right.

I have no idea why I don't use the R41 more. It is a beast that if you show it respect, you'll be rewarded with such wonders! The Astra, as always, held its own clamped in.

The Clown Fruit is such an interesting scent. I want to hate it but it sucks me in every time! I always forget HOW MUCH water the CK-6 formula needs. I guess a wet day here helped because I was able to get the best later I have ever had with this soap. Maybe it's a strictly winter soap in AZ with my water. Once I got the water correct, it was super slick and worked well with the R41.

The Zenith Horse is so soft and pampering on the face. I usually prefer scritch, but today the softness felt good.

Attachments

• 20230115_071824.jpg
    20230115_071824.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
View attachment 1588729View attachment 1588730
Shave Yahtzee (55225 / Single-Edge Sunday / Cheapies Week / BADGERary

Razor: Gem Push-Botton ('60s)
Blade: Gem by Personna

Soap: Stirling Soap Company Sandpiper
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready
Bowl: Tillamook Cobalt

Aftershave: Pinaud Citrus Musk EdC

By chance, I just so happened to roll a Personna blade and a Gem razor. This was very interesting because Personna is the only brand of single-edge blade I have on my Shave Yahtzee chart. Lucky me.

Today's roll was also quite timely as the Gem Push-Botton fits right in with Single-Edge Sunday. 😉

The Shave Gods switched things up and gave me a turn at using some Stirling Soap Company shave soap, so for today I opted to go with the every glorious Sandpiper. Its scent is sophisticated, crisp, and masculine with a top note of cardamom, middle notes of bergamot, cedar, and lavender, and base notes of vetiver and caraway. This scent is a real "safe" "winner" for just about all men. You could very easily be happy with Sandpiper as a blind buy.

The Tillamook bowl has a great cobalt blue color and is the perfect width for whipping up an awesome lather with the Heritage Collection Ever-Ready brush. This brush never fails with its White High Mountain badger hair. It's just so soft at the tips and splays with ease! I know I'm in for a treat when I use this brush.

The Gem razor was light but too light. The head has a little weight and a pretty shallow angle built in. The handle feel wasn't the best in my opinion. You do need to keep your thumb on the black bump at the bottom to keep a good grip on the razor but it's just a minor gripe.

I did a four-pass shave and ended up with a nice bbs shave. I then finished things off with some nice Citrus Musk Eau de Cologne. If you haven't tried this one, you should!

Happy Sunday and enjoy your shaves!
Every time I see that brush I think you should just send it to me. 😜

Top Bottom