What's new

Shave with Ivory bar soap challenge...

I like Dove soap in a pinch. It has 1/4 moisturizing cream. It seems pretty slick to me and works well. Sometimes I mix it with a little lotion soap and or hair conditioner in a small plastic container with a lid (so it doesn't dry out). It works for me (in a pinch).

Can't use Ivory soap for anything as it leaves a film on the skin that I have never liked even as a kid when it was the only soap in the house. I remember when my dad brought home dial and I was like yes no more film. Plus why use bar soap when we have so many great shave soaps.

I've tried many soaps to shave with, I'll admit, it is slick but only if you like fast drying thin soaps, About the only soap that was near acceptable to shave with was Dove bath soap and with a tweak with Williams it makes a great shave soap.

I've used ivory in the past when I still shaved with cartridges. Worked in a pinch when I was out of canned goop.

I’ve done Ivory before, and had an easier time with it than modern Williams. I recently retried Williams for the last time and got a good lather from it. As far as I can remember, they’re basically equal to me. They’re both slick, basic soap scent, thirsty and somewhat drying post shave. Neither are a preferred soap, but work when lathered properly.

I might have to do a side by side comparison.

When I travel, I don’t bring any shaving creams/soaps. I have an old Omega Syntex brush and just use whatever soap the hotel provides. I started doing this after 9/11 when they banned liquids over 3oz.

Never had any issues. I get a decent shave, and the brush dries out quickly. I’d have no problems with Ivory, or just about any other soap. When I’m at home, I prefer to use my Trumpers creams...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No. Drying. But my father-in-law did, for years.

I'd just use conditioner, first.

A shampoo bar called "Broo" has worked very well for shaving.

AA

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Okay guys

Ivory soap is available anywhere for 1.99 for a 3 pack. and econmy pack of large bars in 12 pack for maybe a buck more. Ivory is a glycerin based soap with simple ingredients.

So i just whipped up some lather of tabacs and ivory side by side. The lather i produced with Ivory bar soap was slicker and rinsed off my hand with less drying effect than the Tabacs.

So, if anyone would like to be a part of this have a shave with Ivory bar soap and report back.

If we can evaluate this together, we may have found a very good travel shave soap/soap all in one. I'd also like to find something widely available as an emergency shave soap/im poor again shave soap rather than buying a can of goo.

Anyone interested?
Been there and done that. Not a good shave soap. Williams is a real shave soap, cheap, slick and very similar scent.

I have shaved with Ivory under optimal and less than optimal conditions. It is drying to the skin, and it reminds me of the Infantry. I don't need to be reminded of the Infantry.

I can get a good shave with bar soap. I'd rather do that than ever reach for an aerosol foam again.

+1
My first DE shaves were with Dial, and were better than canned goop & a face grater. Almost any dedicated shaving soap would be at least a little better than bath bars, but in a pinch.....

I just had a Saturday sleep-in shave (bit coarser than M-F) and face lathered off an Ivory bar with a synthetic brush, Razorock German slant and GSB blade.

BBS all around. My mileage must have varied.....

I just had a Saturday sleep-in shave (bit coarser than M-F) and face lathered off an Ivory bar with a synthetic brush, Razorock German slant and GSB blade.

BBS all around. My mileage must have varied.....

Hmm. I've been going through this thread for a few hours. I like you man. Can't see why everyone has to be so negative. Just these dumb farts whose minds can't be changed about anything. I for one love a great value shave. Just picked up some Ivory today for another experiment. This was my morning experiment of the day and it turned out better than expected. What was your method for working the soap?

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190930142032528_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190930142032528_COVER.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Top Bottom