What's new

Shave with Ivory bar soap challenge...

Are the nattering neigh-bobs of negativity chiming in ?

And yes, next week we'll be testing that other widely available ingredient ....... KY Jelly.

By the way, If you use peanut butter to shave with, don't use the crunchy version. And keep the dog on a leash.

i cannot remember if i've used ivory.i've used pears,lucky lime cocoa butter and indian lifebuoy.the pears was okay,the lime was good as was the lifebuoy.they give a dense foam,no pillows of lather.
i often shave in the shower so maybe the abundance of water has an effect.
i may have to buy some ivory to satisfy my curiosity.

I haven't used Ivory as a shave soap since October. So in deference to this thread and to re-fresh my memories, When I arrived home this evening I did a 1-pass shave with Ivory soap. I used the Ivory bar as a shave stick just like in the Ivory poster. I used their process - shave stick like application, lather up rinse and repeat.

It worked, I got a great close shave, Ivory makes lots and lots of lather. Other shave soaps work better, but Ivory came through. If I could criticise Ivory it would be that the lather could dry given too much time. Another pass with the shave brush solves that issue though.

My opinion of Ivory remains the same. It will do in a pinch or for those unwilling to spend much.

Now wasn't that interesting !

Last edited:
I tried shaving with Ivory soap. One thing I noticed is that it creates great lather. Very effortless. But the lather isn't very lubricant and blade doesn't glide as regular shaving soap does.

After reading this thread, I was curious as to just how good or bad Ivory soap was to shave with. So as a scientific experiment, and to take one for the team I shaved this morning with Ivory soap.

I put a small Ivory soap bar remnant in my lathering bowl and used my VDH boar brush. It did indeed mix up a great lather. Although initially I used too much water and received a too-thin lather. So I dumped out most of the water and started again. The lather this time was fine. After doing some face-lathering I had quite a lather mop going there.

Shaving was good but not phenomenal. The lather is slick but doesn't last all that long. I found myself re-lathering each face quadrant again just prior to shaving that area. That wasn't a big problem. The drying issue posted about didn't seem to be an issue for me.

My overall assessment is... It will do in a pinch but regular shaving soap works better.

I look at it as no different than trying out any new shaving soap. No harm, no foul. And it certainly didn't cost me anything to try.

That's how I have to shave my face with Williams (when I do put it in my rotation), it's the only way I can get a good shave with it. Also there are a few body soaps that will work well as shaving soaps. Think Hugo Naturals. There are a few reviews of a couple. I wrote one. These actually work. And I do keep it in my rotation just for fun.

Well, I did it and it worked very well. I followed the ads directions. After a lukewarm shower I applied the ivory as a soap stick, lathered with my Shavemac custom (a lather monster), working up a very nice, high volume but light lather, rinsed with warm water, relathered using only the lather in the brush working up a very nice lather and shaved with my SS Feather and a fresh SS Shark (implements chosen to eliminate other variables as all are reliable and consistent in use). First WTG-absolutely smooth. I did not shave Sunday so there was a nice growth to judge from. I could have stopped there with a presentable shave. Relathered and a little XTG. Last lathering I used too much water and the lather was very thin, had to milk lather up out of the brush to finish. Goal was a BBS shave. Warm rinse, Alum block, very cold rinse, pat dry and my usual conditioner. Lastly, some Caswell Massey talc (tricorn) on neck. Final result, a BBS shave, very slight irritation a few places on neck as I pushed it for a BBS. Final opinion-a perfectly usable shave soap-I think with a few more tries I would get the water in brush right improving the 2nd and 3rd passes. Honestly, it is as good as many shave sticks I've tried. Not luxurious but functional and incredibly inexpensive. Part of my rotation? Probably not. Would I feel abused if it were all I could use? Definitely not! Successful Stage 4 clinical trial!

Well, I did it and it worked very well. I followed the ads directions. After a lukewarm shower I applied the ivory as a soap stick, lathered with my Shavemac custom (a lather monster), working up a very nice, high volume but light lather, rinsed with warm water, relathered using only the lather in the brush working up a very nice lather and shaved with my SS Feather and a fresh SS Shark (implements chosen to eliminate other variables as all are reliable and consistent in use). First WTG-absolutely smooth. I did not shave Sunday so there was a nice growth to judge from. I could have stopped there with a presentable shave. Relathered and a little XTG. Last lathering I used too much water and the lather was very thin, had to milk lather up out of the brush to finish. Goal was a BBS shave. Warm rinse, Alum block, very cold rinse, pat dry and my usual conditioner. Lastly, some Caswell Massey talc (tricorn) on neck. Final result, a BBS shave, very slight irritation a few places on neck as I pushed it for a BBS. Final opinion-a perfectly usable shave soap-I think with a few more tries I would get the water in brush right improving the 2nd and 3rd passes. Honestly, it is as good as many shave sticks I've tried. Not luxurious but functional and incredibly inexpensive. Part of my rotation? Probably not. Would I feel abused if it were all I could use? Definitely not! Successful Stage 4 clinical trial!

Good job - great description. It's refreshing to see someone (else) with an open mind sans the elitist attitude.

I got a great shave also when I tried it (again) last night. I have a 2 or 3 year supply of soap though so Ivory will just have to wait until I quit buying stuff.

And by the way, I enjoyed testing out Ivory more than some of my other soaps. Ivory tops the fun factor.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Over the years I have shaved with many non-shaving soaps, including soaps like Ivory & Dove. They can function for a shave or two, but certainly do not satisfy my lust for lather.

Of all the non-shaving soaps I have used, I like Neutrogena face soap the best. I really like it on days that I am in a super hurry as I don't even lather it at all. Just wash with it and don't rinse, then do a quick WTG shave and out the door.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here's the described shaving method from the Ivory poster. Thanks for the heads up !

I will never use Ivory, but I love the ad you posted. The boy sneaking in to get an idea about what a man does every day- can't quantify it, but I like the pic.

Are the nattering neigh-bobs of negativity chiming in ?

And yes, next week we'll be testing that other widely available ingredient ....... KY Jelly.

By the way, If you use peanut butter to shave with, don't use the crunchy version. And keep the dog on a leash.

I never cared much for KY Jelly. It spreads real easily on toast and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but the taste is awful so I just stick with the traditional flavors like grape and blackberry. Not sure how well it'll work for shaving.

I just tried the Ivory soap method. I've never even used a shave stick, so add that to the learning curve. I followed the instructions from the ad. The first pass was surprisingly good. I had trouble with the 2nd and 3rd pass because the razor felt like it was skipping, so I used shorter strokes than usual.

The bottom line is that I got a fantastic shave with no nicks or cuts. I would have thought it would dry my face out, but instead it feels really soft. I think if I stuck with it I could work out my problems with the lather on the 2nd and 3rd pass. It's probably just a matter of getting the water mix right. This is not going to be my "go to" routine, but I'm glad to know that it works.

That's how I have to shave my face with Williams (when I do put it in my rotation), it's the only way I can get a good shave with it. Also there are a few body soaps that will work well as shaving soaps. Think Hugo Naturals. There are a few reviews of a couple. I wrote one. These actually work. And I do keep it in my rotation just for fun.

Agree about the Hugo Natural bath soaps. The lather from those things is just great. One day I loaded up my brush with it just for fun and it did make a fine quality lather that looked just like a shaving soap lather. Smelled great, too (I used the Mexican lime/bergamot). Amazing bath soap, too.:thumbup1:

Think I'll skip it. My most enduring memory of Ivory soap is my mother washing my mouth out with it when I was about four years old (1942)! :w00t:

Top Bottom