What's new

Shave with bar soap?

Before finding out about this forum I've used plain shower soaps n a cart wo much issue cept for the high costs lol.

So long as you keep reapplying lather I don't see why regular soaps won't work but let's put it this way even a cheap $1.25 stick of Arko will easily outperform any regular soaps so why bother when you can grab 12 sticks for $15 off amazon.

Cheers,

Mawashi

I agree with what some others have said. I've tried bar soap and some are very slick, but none had good cushion or post shave. I find good artisan soaps far superior to bar soaps and the scents are much better too.

Bar soaps are not formulated for shaving, obviously. I've tried some here and there, with mostly disappointing results. One or two lathered well enough, but were drying to my skin. Still fun to try once in a while.

Bar soaps are not formulated for shaving, obviously. I've tried some here and there, with mostly disappointing results. One or two lathered well enough, but were drying to my skin. Still fun to try once in a while.

There are some bar soaps that contain ingredients specifically designed to prevent drying of your skin. I previously mentioned Yardley of London with Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter. While the post-shave is not a good as premium shave soaps, I like it better than some budget shave soaps.

I find bar soaps are lacking is in cushion. They just do not produce the same rich, thick, stable lather as a good shaving soap or cream. Thus, you may need to reapply lather more frequently.

The past few days, I've been shaving with whatever soap I shower with. The package is gone, so I can't say what it is, but it's a typical bar soap and pretty slick. I'd still consider myself a novice at pretty much everything, but I seem to be getting better shaves than I do using Arko shave soap. Has anyone else had this experience, or is it more likely that I have a ton of room for improvement in traditional prep?
Could it be that since you are shaving in shower the water is continually prepping your face and softening hair and opening pores?

I've used goats milk bar soap I bought from an Amish soap maker. Seemed to work fine. I need to do a side by side comparison some time. I'm not as discerning as many though.I will say it was better than a cheap generic shaving soap I tried once that went flat before you could finish a pass!
There is an old video of a retired Sheffield cutler showing how he shaved at home. He had a plain straight razor, cheap looking boar? brush and a bar of soap. It was funny because he said something about all the claims made about fancy shaving soap being just bull. If I can find it I'll post it. Most of the video was old footage of razors being made in Sheffield.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Bar soaps work just fine.

I've been trying a few samples of supposedly good shave soaps recently, and while the lather feels luxurious, I'm not finding any real benefit in the shave itself, or post shave for that matter. PdP gummed up my brush, and was less slick than I can get with a bar soap. MdC was slick, but too much effort, and the "protective" nature meant I had to reshave after the lather was gone to get a decent closeness. Every cream I've tried has been disappointing too.
In truth Arko is up with the top soaps and is probably cheaper than most bath soaps. I tried Ivory once and thought it a fail.

It's out of production, but still around.

Cashmere Bouquet. Not only an excellent shaving soap, but it will bring back olfactory memories of third-rate romances in cheap motels.

Has anyone tried Stirling bath soaps for shaving? I personally haven’t, but use it in the shower for its intended use and find it to be very good for my skin. Tallow based of course.

Top Bottom