What's new

Shave with a Swiss Army Knife

Why bother when you can use straight razors like this?
20210305_081349.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Shave a chest? Easy. Face, probably could, but would want to hone with an angle guide.

Just to see, I’ve shaved with a carbon Japanese kitchen knife. Harder steel than a SAK. But I bet you could if money was bet.

You would have to alter the bevel angle of the knife so it would be a pretty useless knife, so there is that…

Last edited:
Shave a chest? Easy. Face, probably could, but would want to hone with an angle guide.

Just to see, I’ve shaved with a carbon Japanese kitchen knife. Harder steel than a SAK. But I bet you could if money was bet.

You would have to alter the bevel angle of the knife so it would be a pretty useless knife, so there is that…
Yes, the bevel on knives are nearly double the angle of SRs. This is suitable to be very sharp AND have a durable edge... but you cannot get it shaving sharp. Sure you could scrape hair off of your face and call it shaving, but the end result would not even begin approach what we expect from DEs/carts/SRs.

As said, the bevel angle could be altered to be more suitable for shaving. But then you would roll the edge the first time you cut a few pieces of twine.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, the bevel on knives are nearly double the angle of SRs. This is suitable to be very sharp AND have a durable edge... but you cannot get it shaving sharp. Sure you could scrape hair off of your face and call it shaving, but the end result would not even begin approach what we expect from DEs/carts/SRs.

As said, the bevel angle could be altered to be more suitable for shaving. But then you would roll the edge the first time you cut a few pieces of twine.
No pun intended, but you make a "good point" in the last sentence my friend!

I have a cheap pocket knife I use for work and awhile ago after sharpening it with my Lansky sharpener I felt it was very sharp. I took the blade and gave my arm hairs a bit of shave and the blade removed a small patch of arm hair. I then took the blade to my cheek and the blade did remove a couple hairs but I knew instantly it would not make for a good shave.

Maybe possible but I don't have the guts. The farthest I've gone is a Dollartree 3 piece.

But hey, originally they used seashells, right? I dont think (and I know mine is not) the modern man's skin couldn't take it...

Top Bottom