What's new

Shave talc?

Does anybody here use talc as part of their aftershave routine? Any opinions on the benefits or disadvantages of using shave talc?
Regards,
AJS

I use it quite frequently and really enjoy it. The benefits are:
  • It does a great job of reducing shine (as mentioned above).
  • If your face is a little bit raw, it is actually pretty soothing.
  • It is fantastic when wearing a collared shirt and tie.
So far, I have not found any disadvantages. One small pointer, make sure that your face is dry before application, especially if you've used a product that is a little bit tacky (like aloe, corn husker lotion, skin food, etc).

Just out of curiousity, how does shave talc differ from 'regular' talc?
Warm regards,
AJS

There is a lot of evidence that talc is a carcinogen. Chemically it is closely related to asbestos and it is not a good idea to inhale it. Especially every day after shaving.

I get razor burn all the time and talc often helps to get rid of it virtually overnight but in your place I would definitely switch to baby corn starch which works just as well if not better, and not as harmful.

finegelernt said:
There is a lot of evidence that talc is a carcinogen. Chemically it is closely related to asbestos and it is not a good idea to inhale it. Especially every day after shaving.

I get razor burn all the time and talc often helps to get rid of it virtually overnight but in your place I would definitely switch to baby corn starch which works just as well if not better, and not as harmful.
The info found at this site would seem to indicate that while in it's natural form, talc may contain asbestos, certainly no talc sold in products for in-home use will contain any. You should probably be more concerned about all those harmful rays coming off of the computer screen as you read this post.:tongue_sm

The end of the article says:

"Until additional information is available about the safety of talc use, people who use powder may wish to consider avoiding these products or substituting cornstarch-based powders that contain no talc. There is no evidence at present linking cornstarch powders with any form of cancer"

It is true that evidence of talc harmful effects is not conclusive but talc producers were required to purify it to remove any form of asbestos. Why take chances and worry about how well various manufacturers do their job of getting rid of various minerals present in talc? I doubt this is a very well regulated industry. Where there is smoke there is fire - so why not use J&J cornstarch that has never been named a suspect.

As for computer screen, for the past several years I have been using LCD screens for everything (convincing my employer to give me an LCD is a different story).
Radiation from CRT monitor would give anyone a razor burn.:smile:

Call me a risk taker. I will continue to live on the ragged edge of sanity and defiantly shoot plumes of talc dust in my bathroom on a daily basis.:tongue:

Ahem back on topic

Now when applying talc do you use a brush or just hands... and if a brush, what kind of brush do you use.

Flounder thanks you for your help

Flounder said:
Ahem back on topic

Now when applying talc do you use a brush or just hands... and if a brush, what kind of brush do you use.

Flounder thanks you for your help
I have been using just hands but have been looking for a brush. I originally thought that a long bristled barber's brush would be nice, but now I'm not so sure that a shorter bristled cosmetics brush might not be better (like a rouge brush).

Kyle,

Do you mean a Neck Duster?

Here's an off the wall thought...what damage could occur if you were to use one of your many shaving brushes to apply talc to the face?

Randy

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Guys, half of the barbershop talc effect is wasted if you don't use the traditional Wm. Marvy Horsehair nech duster. Pinauld's Talc is the one to get and has that hard to forget old time barbershop scent.

I few months ago I was at my leather supplier buying hides for strops. I was going to go across towm and get a haircut but saw a little unisex type place next door and tried it on a lark. Once done the hairdresser pulled out the Pinauld's Talc and the wooden handled Marvey duster and gave me a good powdering. I was in heaven, my usual place never does that. My mind was instantly transformed back to my childhood when Dad would take me to the barber and he used that stuff. I commented on it to the hairdresser and a woman in the next chair said "I don't know what that stuff is called but you sure smell good". Well, I stopped at Sally Beauty supply, got the talc and a Marvy duster and $14 later I was all set. It is part of my daily routine now (as is the new hair place, every few weeks).

Tony

Yes indeed, gents. The horsehair neck duster is exactly what I was referring to, and thank you for naming the item for me. It is hard to locate an item when you don't know what it is called. It looks like I'll be heading to the nearest Sally Beauty Supply to score one of these dandies!

Awesome... but I gotta stop spending money on shaving supplies... otherwise my credit card wont forgive me and I'm on a students budget

Top Bottom