What's new

Shave Sticks

I am with you on the European Palmolive sticks. I used mine today. Got enough lather for 6 full face "slatherings" on the old kisser. The last one I did not bother shaving off as there were no whiskers left by that time :001_smile

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
I've posted this before but some guys might not have seen it. This, I believe, is the oldest NOS Palmolive stick in captivity, around the turn of the century. At least I've never seen an earlier example.

The small tube is some strop dressing I bought at the same time.

proxy.php

Okay you guys forced me into a Palmolive Stick purchase. I love the tube Palmolive so cant wait to get the stick. I can see hanging around here is gonna cost me.

I've been using Irisch Moos stick in the mornings lately. I normally shave every evening, so I only shave in the morning every so often when I feel I need it. The mornings that I do shave, I reach for a shave stick that lathers effortlessly, such as IM. I must admit, I have most of the shave sticks mention in this thread (went through a bit of SSAD a while back) but there are quite a few that I have not even tried yet. Erasmic, La Toja, Speick, Palmolive, Valobra..... I've got 'em but I have yet to try them. (Confessions of a shave stick hoarder).

Ben

Another Shave Stick day with Irisch Moos shave stick.

I don't know why they discontinued this product. It is fantastic

proxy.php

Another day with Tabac shave stick.

This is a fantastic shave stick and one that everyone should have...

proxy.php

That would be awesome. I've got a goal to try every shave stick in production (and maybe a few that aren't), but as yet have not cataloged them all for said acquisition. A couple of additions that come to mind without really digging:

LEA (two forms old without tallow and the new one with tallow - I've not tried either)
Erasmic (not too impressed by this one)

Me thinks this would be a good wiki page...if one doesn't already exist. I'll create one if I don't find one.

Edit: Actually, there already is one.... http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Shave_stick

Turtle and fellow bros.

I think it would be a good idea to make a list of shave soaps available in the stick form to purchase, and then maybe we can start a list of soaps that we, ourselves, have turned into sticks.

Then maybe we could post the results. What do you think?

Soaps I know about in stick form:

Arko (great)
Tabac (great)
Sir Irisch Moos (great)
Palmolive (great)
Mike's Natural soaps (very good, lather takes a while to dial in)
Mama Bears soaps (don't know yet)
D.R. Harris (don't know)
Kells (don't know)
Ogallala soaps (lathered well, had a skin reaction...PIF'd)
La Toja (Worked shockingly well)
Speick (yuck, lathered well, can't stand the scent)
Volobra (works ok, made my own Arko/Valobra stick. I call it ArkOBRA!)

Soaps I have made into a stick:
Van Der Hagen (works better that way!)
Mitchell's Wool Fat (Works much, MUCH, better as a stick)
Stirling soaps (will not lather...I hear he is working on a better version)
Williams (adequate. Works better as a stick)

Last edited:
While breaking in my Semogue boar brushes, I've used this as an opportunity to try out some soaps that I have in my den but have yet to try. La Toja shave soap stick and LEA stick (with tallow) being two of them. The La Toja was super. Minimal effort loading directly on my brush and producing a perfect lather.... and in huge amounts. LEA on the other hand.... not quite as easy. It was a bit foamy at first and did not produce as much lather in the end for about the same loading effort as the La Toja. I prefer the scent of La Toja a bit more I think as well. This is my first time with either soap so I will not pass judgement on the LEA just yet. I will give it some more trys to see if I can get a decent lather from it. I don't mind working a little bit to produce great lather but with so many wonderfully easy lathering soaps and creams out there..... and can't see going out of my way just to make one work. La Toja blew me away with the first try at any rate.... I couldn't believe how easy it lathered. Very similar to what I am used to getting with Irisch Moos.

Ben

Today's shave stick is LaToja. A fantastic product that needs more exposure on B&B so everyone knows about it.

I took LaToja and Arko traveling for 3 months with me. Never regretted this decision even once :001_smile

proxy.php

Valobra was my first shave stick.

They say you never forget your first one.

It's true :001_smile

proxy.php

I used Speick stick today. I can see how the scent would be an acquired taste, but I love the fresh, herbal scent. Beyond that, though, it's a fantastic stick. It lathers great with a boar brush. It's easy on my sensitive skin and it doesn't dry my skin out like other shave sticks I've tried.

I think I have found my shaving Nirvana...

Applied Arko to my face then loaded the Rooney with Arlington and went to town building a lather on my face like no other I have experenced. I looked like a cross between the Arko man and Santa Claus.

All I can say is....... wowzers.....

Mixing a shave stick and a soap into a super lather is amazing, not to mention EASY

proxy.php

I think I have found my shaving Nirvana...

Applied Arko to my face then loaded the Rooney with Arlington and went to town building a lather on my face like no other I have experenced. I looked like a cross between the Arko man and Santa Claus.

All I can say is....... wowzers.....

Mixing a shave stick and a soap into a super lather is amazing, not to mention EASY

Arko. :prrr: How can you ruin the heavenly scent of Arlington like that!? Serious tallow in that shave, though.

Arko. :prrr: How can you ruin the heavenly scent of Arlington like that!? Serious tallow in that shave, though.

surprisingly the Arlington was the dominant scent.

I could not detect any Arko and I even took a big whiff of the brush after I had built the lather.

Nothing but Arlington and way TOO much lather :lol:

I noticed the same thing when using Arko and Cella while on vacation. Only the Cella seemed to prevail. The Arko just produced the lather.

Top Bottom