What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

I would be interested to know what you did to make this one work better.

I used a smaller size brush for a more intense face lather application kind of like the narrow heel of a woman`s shoe for a more concentrated lathering. Initially I was using too much water (my normal amount) despite using as much possible of this soap in hopes to quickly use it up. So a smaller brush for a more intense lather application and still plenty of soap for the lather but a very dry brush so the lather would not dissipate as quickly. Not perfect but it provided me enough cushion and lather for a good close shave. The slickness is always there with lather or little disappearing lather but the cushion sucked until I used a much drier brush and I tried to rinse my face well so there would be less facial oil on my face to kill this erasmic lather. Like I`ve said to you in the past this was the worst soap I`ve ever used but I can safely say I`ve whipped it`s *** real good and as a bonus I get to keep this red Erasmic cap soap holder for my other future soaps. I know you`ve had bad experience with this soap too and you threw it in the trash and kept the red holder.

Last edited:
$IMG_2950.jpg
I`ve almost forgotten to mention I earlier in the Erasmic stick journey did a super lather combo too with Erasmic/C&E Sandalwood soap but in the end I got tired of doing a double application so I went the drier, damp brush and smaller brush approach for a longer lasting Erasmic lather.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I will give that a shot when I get back to it. Thanks.

Luc

Staff member
The Duo stick got the super soak this morning. It took around 3 seconds before the soften soap was gone and I was back on "hard as a rock" shave soap. I believe that I picked up around 4 times what I had yesterday and the lather was still dry. Looks like I need to pick some more!

Luc

Staff member
I changed brush this morning to try Radium's recommendation (you weren't kidding when you said that you really want to try Erasmic: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...tropper-any-info-please?p=7517124#post7517124)

I switched from a big 25mmx55mm to my 24mmx48mm. The lather was better, maybe a notch above my last try with Erasmic but really not great. I am not getting any burn or irritation but the cushion is close to zero. The glide is okay. I loaded more product than yesterday.

One interesting fact was a film of unlathered product on the razor. I did built the lather for a good 2-3 minutes (longer than usual). I got a secret weapon, I have a Kent infinity which is 22mmx52mm. The bristles are stiffer than my silvertip and finest which should lather better (in theory). The soap is extremely hard. I am unsure if the Derby stick is harder or not. But Derby worked better for sure.

The Duo shave stick ingredients are : Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Palmkernelate, Parfum, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride.

I have tried this stick. In the original format it looked like a large suppository. In my hands, it was absolutely hopeless to get a good lather out of it. I would get biggish bubbles that would melt on the skin. Luc, my advice to you is to not waste too much time on this one.

Luc

Staff member
The Kent Infinity worked better but it's still not average. I still have some unlathered product, around the same quantity. I may take the Omega Boar out. I am unsure yet. So far, it's really not great. I have to figure a way to make that soap softer in order to lather it better. The fact that it's a rock doesn't help. Derby was better than that one so there might be something with the product.

I am not throwing the towel yet. The interesting bit is that I still get an irritation free shave. The cushion is really bad but I am not cutting or nicking myself. The glide is good... I may have to unstick that one from where it is and grate it to see if I get a better result (HERESY)

p.s. Good to see you Erik!

$IMGP5694.jpg$IMGP5697.jpg
Luc,
Wow! amazing that you found my Erasmic shipment! Yes this was my order for these Erasmic stick soaps. I like to buy multiples of the same soap for general consistency especially if I like it plus it beats reordering for a while to save on shipping cost. Mind you this was free shipping . I think you remember my large Arko order when we first spoken? :w00t::tongue_sm

Luc, it sounds more positive your Erasmic experience from your earlier uses with it. I too found this Erasmic soap a different beast from any other shaving stick though I have never used Derby to give the hardness comparison between the two. What I do notice is over a short time frame of continuous usage that this stick does bloom and it is not like a chalk stick anymore but actually on the soft side especially the tip part of it. This soap works best with daily usage or with blooming. A good overall soaking of the entire stick will give this Erasmic stick a nice bloom and it will feel like a traditional shaving stick afterwards. Yes perhaps grating will do too though I can`t say because I`ve never done so.
Again a brush with a good back bone and of small stubby size like the one in these photos or even smaller brush if you have one? Keep your brush as dry as possible and use as much product as possible. When I do this procedure with face lathering within 20 or so seconds later I get lather that is yogurty and slick and pretty stable as well. Cushion wise there doesn`t seem like a lot but perhaps it is deceptive? Like you I get no irritations or nicks or razor burn at all. I think this lather would be nice for straights and single edge as well as double edge too. Very nice blade glide and because there doesn`t "seem" to be much cushion I get no clogging of lather in my razor and therefore less razor rinsing. I think this Erasmic lather suits my OCMM Gem single edge razor very nicely and I appreciate its slickness with lather or no lather. I like the scent and my skin feels good after my shave and again no nicks or irritations despite the deception of no cushion.
Good luck with your experiments on this Erasmic stick. I think if users of this Erasmic stick compare it to say Wilkinson, Speick, Tabac, Valobra for example ok then this product would appear to have failed but with a thinking of out of the box then this soap can be enjoyed upon for its differences. Like I`ve said before I actually get nice shaves from this soap and in the end I felt that I`ve conquered it. Lots of people do not give Erasmic any love and I can understand why if they compare it to other brands but it sure works for me. I hope you have some luck with it too Luc.

I`ve spoken to Dani Richards (product manager for Erasmic) through email when I was first using this stick and he said I was an isolated case for having problems with this soap. There wasn`t anything else that could be said and that was that so I started playing around with it and I get the results that I like.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Before grating the stick, I have another thing in mind.

Arko's performance is worthy. I can't deny that. The scent could be better. It's a stick that I will buy again

Luc

Staff member
This morning, I tried the fist bowl... It was a disaster. Lather was everywhere except in the brush. I have another thing in mind...

Luc

Staff member
At the moment, Duo is pretty much on part or worse...

Thanks for the review, Luc!
As I suspected, the stick is too hard to allow loading. Did you try grate and soak?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks for the review, Luc!
As I suspected, the stick is too hard to allow loading. Did you try grate and soak?

Not yet, I have a few other things that I can try before I grate it.

Does this include current Williams?
Yes. Even though I place modern Williams in the bottom third of the products I've tried, I found it far better than Erasmic. Erasmic produced a thin coating of thin walled bubbles that crackled as it disappeared. Nothing accumulated in the brush. Nothing. I still have the remains, for some reason, though!

...and I just pulled it out of storage. Did a quick handwash. I can feel a thin but slick film, but I only see very light, bubbly lather. Maybe tomorrow...

Luc

Staff member
Quick update, the small stick is almost done. The lather keeps getting better but started to smell like Derby for a few shaves now

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453468170.355764.jpg

Top Bottom