What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

I had considered getting those sticks just because it's so cool to see new shave sticks! Looking forward to hearing more about them. I used tallow AOS grated into an old Irisch Moos container today, which is my main soap.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All right, the RazoRock blue barbershop shave stick is now done. I had a total of 139 shaves (impressive). The lather was really good each time I used it. The scent is old-timer powdery.

I used various type of brushes with the shave stick (silvertip, finest, boar, synthetic and horse). Each performed quite well.

I mostly face lathered (it's a shave stick!) but also did the fist-bowl and tried to bowl lather a few times. No issues in any of the attempts. Is it as good as a top contender (Wilkinson Sword, Tabac)? Well, I wouldn't say it's the top contender but it's really close. It's a great value/price! If you like the powder scent or don't mind it, then it's worth it for sure!

Luc

Staff member
Next stick, I have a Muhele sea bucktorn. I used the puck before and liked the scent. I found that the stick was toward a high-end price. I took a D.R. Harris stick yesterday and noticed that Harris is 40 grams (which is not that far from Muhele).

There's a lot of plastic versus the product. I will start this new stick somewhere in March 2020.

I also bought a puck of Tabac with the container. That one I'm really pleased with. The wrapping is not too much and the pucks (refill) are not creating more plastic. I know I will be in for the long run with that one...

Looking back over this thread you seem to have quite a variety of shave sticks. I have tried to find some of them but to no avail. Where did you get your supply?

Luc

Staff member
Looking back over this thread you seem to have quite a variety of shave sticks. I have tried to find some of them but to no avail. Where did you get your supply?

It depends if you have specifics in mind. Sometimes I buy local (in Canada). Sometimes from Europe. Most times, on eBay (specially for the Turkish shave sticks). I'm guessing that Amazon would have a fair selection too but I rarely use Amazon.

Luc

Staff member
All right, first shave this morning with the Muhele Sea Buckthorn shave stick. There’s a lot of plastic for the amount of product.

the lather was very good. Very similar to the sea buckthorn puck. I’m fairly sure it’s the same product.

29 more shaves to go!
5EB78C9D-8A22-4F96-85D6-9CD73962E1FA.jpeg

Luc

Staff member
For those wondering, the shave stick is next to the 57ml bottle of Tabasco that currently contains Booster Polar Ice

I believe that many manufacturers should make their products the Tabac way.

you can buy the product in the container. Once you have the product, buy a refill with a minimum of packaging.

Agreed. No twist-up mechanism to fail, nice wide form-factor for maximum coverage, and a nice screw cap to keep things clean for travel. Tabac sticks are the easiest I've used to date.

Luc

Staff member
Update #1

The product works really well. Well, it works like the puck. I used the puck before (Sea Buckthorn also) and I like the scent. Is this the best lather I've used ? No. Is it worth it? I would say yes. I will keep using it until I hit 30 days or I finish the product.

I compared the ingredients and they are identical:
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Palm Kernel Acid, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Parfum (Fragrance), Cocamidopropyl Beatine, Buckthorn Extract, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool.

(Source for the Shave Stick and the Shave Soap are on the muehle-shaving.co.uk website).

Now the bad news (Yes, there's one). This morning I tried to twist the tube as I'm getting closer to the container. The stick wouldn't move. I tried cutting around the stick to "un-stick" the stick (if that makes sense). I still wouldn't move. I then filled the cap with hot water, put it back on and left the stick with the cap full of water while I took a shower.

When I got out, victory, I was able to twist it again. Hopefully, it won't happen too often. Now, I'm able to twist the product out of the container but I'm not able to make the product go back inside the container (unless I push it in).

So, the shave stick holder for this one contains a lot of plastic and the stick is quite small (37 grams). For me, it's a fail that container. If it get stuck again, I will probably remove the container and use the stick without it.

Luc

Staff member
Okay, 57 shaves with the Muhele shaving stick(all done, there's no more soap). My observations are:

-The stick got stuck in the tube a few times. Maybe if I would use it once a week or once every few weeks, the soap would maybe dry (shrink) and it would be all right. I almost broke the twist mechanism a few times.
-The performance was good. Not great, not poor. I have hard water and I enjoyed the scent. It's a middle of the road soap. Very similar to the puck.
-I find that the price (grams/$) is high for what you get. I mean, you can get something cheaper that works as good or better.

I tried the product with different brushes (boar, badger and synthetic). I tried the product as superlather. I also used a few products in between (Tabac, Speick and Wilkinson Sword blue stick) to compare the performances.

Overall, the scent is pretty unique. It's really nice. It works well but a bit on the expensive side. I would say, if you have extra monies, go for it. If your budget is a bit smaller, get the puck. Otherwise, if you want something that will last, get something else.

Luc

Staff member
For those who like shave stick (or not), I've created a poll, come and vote to see which product is most liked by the community.

Thanks, @Luc ! This has always been a great thread for anyone looking to branch out into shave sticks. The little blue Wilkie shave stick is still my favorite, but I'm always open to new info

Reactions: Luc
Top Bottom