What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The end of Sir Irisch Moos is near. I can see what serves as stick holder...

Attachments

• $IMG_1850.JPG
    $IMG_1850.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 800
  • $IMG_1851.JPG
    $IMG_1851.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 802
Unless you are mblakele that looks like you have one more shave left (in the shave stick pass around thread he once melted the remaining soap from the holding bracket to make a mini-puck of shave soap and got two more shaves from it).

I wonder what is next on the Luc cavalcade of shave sticks.

Luc

Staff member
Unless you are mblakele that looks like you have one more shave left (in the shave stick pass around thread he once melted the remaining soap from the holding bracket to make a mini-puck of shave soap and got two more shaves from it).

I wonder what is next on the Luc cavalcade of shave sticks.

I picked that one already but will announce it when I start using it which shouldn't be long now...

How many shaves did you get out of it? Is the Tabac shave stick just as good as the SIM shave stick?

I didn't try the Tabac shave stick. I had the soap and did not like the scent. I did 60 shaves so far but I changed how I load the soap in the past 10-15 shaves (I'm using less soap and get the same quantity of lather)...

Well done, Luc!

I'm taking an hiatus from shaving sticks in order to use up all my other soaps and creams, but I've got the Irish Moos lined up once autumn rolls around here.

Looking forward to the next one!

Well done, Luc!

I'm taking an hiatus from shaving sticks in order to use up all my other soaps and creams, but I've got the Irish Moos lined up once autumn rolls around here.

Looking forward to the next one!

Luc already knows this but for the general audience since Brendan is in Australia it is Spring there. Australian (and S. Hemisphere) seasons run opposite of Canada or the US (and N. Hemisphere). Brendan has a long way to go before Autumn rolls around in Australia.

While I am thinking of it, I hope you enjoy your Spring and Summer, Brendan. If you happen to shoot a wallaby or kangaroo please cold-ship me part of the meat. I haven't had the opportunity to eat any wallaby or kangaroo but I bet they taste good! :c9: :c9: :c9:

Luc

Staff member
Luc already knows this but for the general audience since Brendan is in Australia it is Spring there. Australian (and S. Hemisphere) seasons run opposite of Canada or the US (and N. Hemisphere). Brendan has a long way to go before Autumn rolls around in Australia.

While I am thinking of it, I hope you enjoy your Spring and Summer, Brendan. If you happen to shoot a wallaby or kangaroo please cold-ship me part of the meat. I haven't had the opportunity to eat any wallaby or kangaroo but I bet they taste good! :c9: :c9: :c9:

Kangaroo is comparable to horse meat, it's lean and gamey. It's not the same but it's similar.

Kangaroo is comparable to horse meat, it's lean and gamey. It's not the same but it's similar.

Sounds tasty! If I ever get to Australia I will make sure to have some. I also want to spend a lewd and lascivious night with Nicole Kidman while I am there, maybe she will cook me that kangaroo steak too.

Certainly will! if you ever are in Australia, let me know and I'll buy some tasty kangaroo from my butcher!

I've always used SIM around spring or autumn, it just fits the seasons so well then. Being in Australia though, menthol soaps are compulsory in Summer :lol:

Certainly will! if you ever are in Australia, let me know and I'll buy some tasty kangaroo from my butcher!

I've always used SIM around spring or autumn, it just fits the seasons so well then. Being in Australia though, menthol soaps are compulsory in Summer :lol:

Thanks, Brendan. My butcher in the US doesn't stock kangaroo, unfortunately.

Vlad, you know what else sounds good? Kangaroo tallow shave soap made with real kangaroo fat. Maybe even shape the finished puck to look like a baby kangaroo.:001_tt2:

Luc

Staff member
The shave stick is almost over, I am using the outer circle of the stick at the moment. I am tempted to reshape it into a stick on top of the small circle to allow a full usage. I fully see the small circle in the shave stick holder at the moment. Another update to come, it's becoming harder to use the soap. Those who got that shave stick holder, do you bother finishing the product or you simply put a new stick on top?

Luc, there was was discussion of "when is a puck done?" on the 3017 thread. For me the best answer was that it is done when it becomes too inconvenient to use. Of course that is a subjective measure, depending on taste and circumstances.

As mentioned above I have a high threshold for this kind of inconvenience. So I might set it aside to dry while I used another stick. Then a couple days later I might extract the soap from the bottom holder and make a 28-mm mini stick using an old film canister. Those mini sticks are a bit fiddly to use by themselves, so they generally go on top of another soap in a full-length holder: D.R. Harris works well, for example.

If you have access to a good scale, could you weigh the empty container? Lately I have been adding a few of those empty container weights to the wiki, so folks can get an idea of how much soap they have left.

Luc

Staff member
Luc, there was was discussion of "when is a puck done?" on the 3017 thread. For me the best answer was that it is done when it becomes too inconvenient to use. Of course that is a subjective measure, depending on taste and circumstances.

As mentioned above I have a high threshold for this kind of inconvenience. So I might set it aside to dry while I used another stick. Then a couple days later I might extract the soap from the bottom holder and make a 28-mm mini stick using an old film canister. Those mini sticks are a bit fiddly to use by themselves, so they generally go on top of another soap in a full-length holder: D.R. Harris works well, for example.

If you have access to a good scale, could you weigh the empty container? Lately I have been adding a few of those empty container weights to the wiki, so folks can get an idea of how much soap they have left.

Thanks Mike! That's a good idea. I will post a picture showing where I'm at with the stick soon.

Luc

Staff member
It's still here, I can barely get any soap out at the moment. I will need to re-shape very very soon. Past 70 shaves now. I might do a stand alone stick without the holder since the holder is currently part of the problem...

Luc

Staff member
That's where we are at the moment. I now need to use a butter knife or something to unstick the soap and remold it (probably by hand since it's a medium-soft soap) and shape it in a shave stick again but smaller. The container is all right but the bottom is horrible!

$SANY6073.JPG

No need to torture yourself, Luc. The original stick might have been a little more than 100-g, to allow for wasted soap at the bottom.

IM moss is my favorite stick in terms of size. I find the smaller ones like LaToja flimsy and the stick always falls out of the holder. With IM, it's a nice push up applicator and there is not force on the stick to dislodge it from the holder.

plus the surface area makes it much easier to apply directly to face or use my small Simpson Case to lather directly on the stick for extra lather needed on pass #3.

vlad...i had no idea there was that much soap on the bottom of the container...i am far from the bottom of mine so won't see that for a while.

Top Bottom