What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

I am going to have to track down the other Turkish sticks that beat out Arko in your Turkish stick challenge. This stuff is just so top shelf for performance I am even starting to like the scent. I have been combining it with stuff that doesn't have the performance I want and in 3 weeks (~16 shaves) it just has not let me down.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I am going to have to track down the other Turkish sticks that beat out Arko in your Turkish stick challenge. This stuff is just so top shelf for performance I am even starting to like the scent. I have been combining it with stuff that doesn't have the performance I want and in 3 weeks (~16 shaves) it just has not let me down.

I'm unsure if Camelot and GZD are discontinued or not at this stage as I did not see them for sale but that doesn't mean it's the case.

It might be my point of view but if a product is good, it won't need to be mixed with another product. I mean, I wouldn't keep a product that can't work on it's own in my rotation.

Next update on Arko, this week-end.

It might be my point of view but if a product is good, it won't need to be mixed with another product. I mean, I wouldn't keep a product that can't work on it's own in my rotation.

I tend to agree, but I also can't bring myself to throw stuff out and the stuff I have just isn't worth my time to sell/ship on the BST. Plus, I do actually really like the scent combo of Proraso Red and Arko even though both products stand really well on their own. I don't imagine that is a scent you could find anywhere else.

Luc

Staff member
I tend to agree, but I also can't bring myself to throw stuff out and the stuff I have just isn't worth my time to sell/ship on the BST. Plus, I do actually really like the scent combo of Proraso Red and Arko even though both products stand really well on their own. I don't imagine that is a scent you could find anywhere else.

I won't throw stuff out either, I won't buy it again, that simple. Selling it on BST isn't worth it for me to take pictures, sell it, package it, ship it, hopefully get a good buyer and everyone is happy. For the $5 that I paid for it, I better use it. If I can't use the stuff (i.e. Erasmic Shave stick), I will use it as a bath soap. Nothing goes in the trash.

I won't throw stuff out either, I won't buy it again, that simple. Selling it on BST isn't worth it for me to take pictures, sell it, package it, ship it, hopefully get a good buyer and everyone is happy. For the $5 that I paid for it, I better use it. If I can't use the stuff (i.e. Erasmic Shave stick), I will use it as a bath soap. Nothing goes in the trash.

Waist not, want not...........a good policy. Turning a bad soap into a bath soap is a good idea, I like that idea.:thumbup1:

I have tried using shave soaps as bath soaps twice now and they have both been ok. I would imagine this works better with harder soap than croap though.

On another note, I had a first class shave with La Toja yesterday in a hotel. The lather didn't really explode the way it normally does for me, but it seems like it was a lot denser in the end. It didn't look as nice on my face or on the brush, but it gave me a great shave in the end. I'll have to try it again at home.

Luc

Staff member
It's shave 15 for Arko (23 in reality as I already had 8 shaves on that stick before I started. It's going well so far. I have to admit, this one is easier to work than the Palmolive shave stick. Review on shave 30 (38).

Attachments

• $SANY6751 (800x616).jpg
    $SANY6751 (800x616).jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 600

Luc

Staff member
Shave 22 means shave 30 in total as I had 30 shaves on the stick. I still need 8 shaves to complete this one but this is where we are at.

Attachments

• $SANY6760 (800x662).jpg
    $SANY6760 (800x662).jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 548
I've been using Arko as a regular part of my rotation for a couple of years. There are better smelling shave sticks, such as the excellent Speick. There are perhaps better performers, such as Wilkinson Sword. Yet Arko is always rock solid, lathers terrifically and reminds me that wet shaving at it's heart is a simple joy that is accessible to everyone.

Luc

Staff member
Arko is now done, I will announce the next stick soon... Arko is roughly half (38 shaves total) so I would guess a rough 76 shaves out of that one even if it's bigger than the average stick (75gr vs 50gr) it seems to melt at the same rate. The review is here: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=1654

and post 1 updated. I feel like I can keep this one as it was an effortless soap to work with. It's this product that makes it on the line of keep it or loose it as the scent isn't the most interesting...

Attachments

• $SANY6786 (800x663).jpg
    $SANY6786 (800x663).jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 479
Arko is always rock solid, lathers terrifically and reminds me that wet shaving at it's heart is a simple joy that is accessible to everyone.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is the whole central concept. It's what I am talking about when I say the Zen of shaving. Be here now.

Luc

Staff member
I thought that I should include my country by adoption at this stage, Australia! Australian have their own mix of the Palmolive shave stick. It's going to be interesting to see how it compares to the Euro version as down under, the Euro version was superior because of the tallow. However, some region of Oz have harder water than Melbourne (where I was). I think it will do good but we shall see after 30 shaves. First picture shows the stick right out of the package. I took the holder of the Euro Palmolive to put on the Australian Palmolive to make it easier. They are pretty much the same size.

Palmolive used to be known as Mennen back in the days but the product is the same. I also added some information on the stick as I was coming across it as Australia had many versions of that stick. The one that I am doing today is the current formulation available Australia-wide.

Attachments

• $SANY6787 (800x597).jpg
    $SANY6787 (800x597).jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 481
  • $SANY6789 (800x699).jpg
    $SANY6789 (800x699).jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 487

Luc

Staff member
Quick update. Shave 1 was difficult as the soap was super-dry (it's been curing for a few years now) and the edges were hard. I got an okay lather but nothing great. It's above my bottom runner LaToja and below the Palmolive Euro Stick. I need to work on that one a bit more. Soaking the tip of the shave stick will probably be my approach. I had a new feather blade this morning (which I normally find a bit rough) and it was a good shave.

Side note, I find feather rough but it also depends on the razor, like today, I tried it in the Merkur 38C and it was surprisingly smooth.

To be continued!

bump:thumbup1:

luc any updates to your rankings?
on a sidenote be interesting if you listed your favorite shave stick packaging of what you tried.
im guessing tabac?

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
bump:thumbup1:

luc any updates to your rankings?
on a sidenote be interesting if you listed your favorite shave stick packaging of what you tried.
im guessing tabac?

Maybe today or tomorrow. I need to get the camera for the 15th shave.

Tabac is all right but, like Sir Irisch Moos, the soap will create an edge "locking" it in the tube. It's all right, I prefer a twist container to be honest.

Great review of the shave sticks, thank you. I enjoyed reading them.

A friend from work is in Turkey on a work project. at the beginning of July I had given him some cash to pick up some Turkish shave sticks and AS.

I will get to try them in the middle of August.

Luc

Staff member
Here it is. I would guess that a rough 25% is gone after 15 shaves so probably average 60 shaves. The odd shape is due to the cap of the shaving cream sample that I use to soak the palmolive. The cap is wider than the stick and not too deep so it's great to soften the shave stick.

I get decent lather but, there's better out there. 15 more shaves to go!

Attachments

• $SANY6794 (800x591).jpg
    $SANY6794 (800x591).jpg
    330 KB · Views: 343
  • $SANY6796 (800x582).jpg
    $SANY6796 (800x582).jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 337

Luc

Staff member
Review to be here soon. I finished my little D.R. Harris sampler cream so it's easier to soak the Palmolive Shave Stick now. I still have a few shaves to go and a few sticks to re-visit to put it on the right spot in the list.

Top Bottom