What's new

Shave Sticks are Awesome!

I've recently been experimenting with shave sticks.

1) As a "proof of concept," I started with a Tabac shave stick. I found the performance incredibly awesome. I'm not sure if the great performance was more due to the goodness of Tabac specifically, or of the approach of applying the soap directly to the face and face-lathering. Either way, the initial experiment was a profound success. And by the way, I don't understand what the big deal is with the smell of Tabac. It smells like soap. It is really difficult to believe anybody being particularly offended by it.

2) Then I ordered a 2.5 oz tube from PAA to further experiment. I loaded it with a Stirling soap. Again, outstanding performance. Yes, I like the Stirling soap from my prior experience, but the extraordinary ease of lathering by applying it to the face in this fashion beat all prior experience therewith.

3) Further experimenting, I got a store-brand (Power-Stick?) deodorant from Dollar-General (which cost precisely $1!). After removing the deodorant and cleaning it, I loaded it with another Stirling soap. Again: excellent results. This deodorant container was of the oval variety. Also, it was designed to be liquid-loaded from the bottom--which means that the plunger has big holes in it. In order to use it for my purposes (i.e., loading soap from the top), I removed the plunger and wrapped some tin foil around it a few times--to close up the big holes. FYI, the Stirling soap that I used was Pumpkin Spice, which I particularly enjoy now in the fall.

As of now, I'm planning on stick-ifying virtually all my soaps. I'm convinced that using the stick-method of applying soap to the face--and face-lathering--is superior to anything else that I've tried.

Eric

For some reason, all of the Eric's here like shave sticks. ;)

I have been known to rub a puck of soap on my face like a shave stick. It's easier than grating for me and I just put it in a soap dish afterwards- like for bath soap- to let it dry out. Much easier than bowl lathering for me.

I've recently been experimenting with shave sticks.

1) As a "proof of concept," I started with a Tabac shave stick. I found the performance incredibly awesome. I'm not sure if the great performance was more due to the goodness of Tabac specifically, or of the approach of applying the soap directly to the face and face-lathering. Either way, the initial experiment was a profound success. And by the way, I don't understand what the big deal is with the smell of Tabac. It smells like soap. It is really difficult to believe anybody being particularly offended by it.

2) Then I ordered a 2.5 oz tube from PAA to further experiment. I loaded it with a Stirling soap. Again, outstanding performance. Yes, I like the Stirling soap from my prior experience, but the extraordinary ease of lathering by applying it to the face in this fashion beat all prior experience therewith.

3) Further experimenting, I got a store-brand (Power-Stick?) deodorant from Dollar-General (which cost precisely $1!). After removing the deodorant and cleaning it, I loaded it with another Stirling soap. Again: excellent results. This deodorant container was of the oval variety. Also, it was designed to be liquid-loaded from the bottom--which means that the plunger has big holes in it. In order to use it for my purposes (i.e., loading soap from the top), I removed the plunger and wrapped some tin foil around it a few times--to close up the big holes. FYI, the Stirling soap that I used was Pumpkin Spice, which I particularly enjoy now in the fall.

As of now, I'm planning on stick-ifying virtually all my soaps. I'm convinced that using the stick-method of applying soap to the face--and face-lathering--is superior to anything else that I've tried.

Eric
A lot of face latherers here!

It's a pity that Stirling and a few other companies do not produce shaving sticks. I'm sure there would be a demand for them, as witness you DIY'ing your own. I'm sure many others do.

Taylors Of Old Bond Street and D.R Harris both make a range of higher end shaving sticks, and there are many tubed creams to also try.

I agree with your last statement, I'm convinced that using the stick-method of applying soap to the face--and face-lathering--is superior to anything else that I've tried.
Sticks are the way to go. I made several sticks from my soaps. One of my favorites is Van Der Hagen Luxury soap. Makes a great stick.

I like most sticks I have tried (except Arko 😝) and they work great. Tabac, Palmolive, Boots, La Toja, etc.

i mainly use them for travel and at my cottage. Wet face with warm water, soap right on face and a brush to lather it up. I prefer off the puck, but I enjoy using sticks.

It’s a downright shame that sticks are no longer available from Valobra and Palmolive. It’s also a shame that Speick reformulated their once incredibly good stick. All three of these products were unbelievably good in terms of performance.

However, in my opinion, La Toja’s stick, although reformulated, is as good as ever.

Have only purchased and used LaToja stick.
Absolutely love it!

Have used the infamous Arko puck as a stick as well.

Shave Nation sells, as I am sure others do as well, the tubes to make your own shave sticks.

Sticks are a great way to shave. Fun, easy, perfect for travel. I think sticks just simplify the whole lathering process. The only downside, perhaps, is that it isn’t as suited to synthetic brushes. At least for me synthetic brushes don’t splay as well when they aren’t full of lather, so it’s harder to get the brush working when the soap is on your face and not in the brush.

I got my first shaving stick not too long ago, the same container you have filled with Proraso Green, and like you it turned me into a believer in face lathering in general. @Tanuki is truly a Shaving Stick Master (SSM), he was telling me he converts most everything to a stick and was giving me some tips.

I did start to miss my bowl after a while, so I've been alternating. I have a six-pack of those roll up containers on the way from Amazon - but I notice PAA has got them a little cheaper. Thanks for that link! I'll get them there next time. With a bunch of soap I don't need as well I'm sure :laugh:

I do want to try a flatter deodorant-style container as well as this round one, see if I like that more.

Absolutely! They are a great combo of performance, cost, and portability. I don't apply any on my top lip though, just around the cheeks / chin / throat. The face lather would often miss the lip and gunk up the razor too much.

Palmolive is a great rec no matter where you are in the world and is generally an appealing/non-offending scent for most people. La Toja and Speick aren't far behind. I do have a soft spot for Arko as well :001_tt2:

Maybe one of these days I'll get around to actually using the Irisch Moos I've had gathering dust in the shave drawer..

Sticks are a great way to shave. Fun, easy, perfect for travel. I think sticks just simplify the whole lathering process. The only downside, perhaps, is that it isn’t as suited to synthetic brushes. At least for me synthetic brushes don’t splay as well when they aren’t full of lather, so it’s harder to get the brush working when the soap is on your face and not in the brush.

Funny you should say that. I find just the opposite. The only brushes I can get to work well with a stick is synthetics. I've tried boar brushes several times and I can only get one pass out of the soap application.
Without synthetic brushes shave sticks would be useless to me.

Top Bottom