What's new

Shave Sticks and Brushes...

I'm posting this here since it would fit into a couple of different forums. I've always melted my shave sticks, but now think it's time to give this format a true trial run. SO, for the shave stick fans, what type brush works best for lathering directly on your face...small knot, large knot, what?

Randy

Randy,

I've had the best success with my Edwin Jagger Best Badger and my St. Charles Shave brush. The second being my favorite for this task. My Vulfix 374 doesn't work as well - too floppy. The larger brushes also don't work as well since less product is being used.

Until I perfected my technique, I had much the same experience as Rik. With my experience and lather mug in hand, it doesn't appear to matter..

Anything will work, but I reach for my two smallest brushes - the C&E best and the little T&H super. I had a lot of trouble in the past with the format, but we have come to an understanding, and now I love them. For reference, here is my technique:

• Soak bowl and brush while showering
  • Get face nice and wet
  • Work shave stick aggressively into beard
  • Leave bowl in sink with hot water in it
  • Shake out brush well (otherwise water flings everywhere), and start working a lather up.
  • As necessary, dip brush tips into hot water from bowl to get a "proto-lather" going on face. I don't worry too much about its quality, because....
  • Dump water out of bowl and build remaining lather in it, adding a trickle of water if necessary
  • Re-lather face, and continue as with normal shave.
Doing this usually leaves enough lather for at least 4 passes, usually many more

I would like to add one additional step to Scotto's routine, i.e. after dumping the water from the bowl, run the shave stick around the inside of the bowl one or twice. I found that I get a super luxury lather with this technique.

guenron said:
I would like to add one additional step to Scotto's routine, i.e. after dumping the water from the bowl, run the shave stick around the inside of the bowl one or twice. I found that I get as super luxury lather with this technique.
Ron - that is a very good idea. I am going to add that to my repertoire.

I've found that since my face is what removes the soap, I don't need a particularly firm brush, and since any excess water drains from the brush as I hold it horizontally against my face, if you use a big brush that tends to lock in water, it doesn't really matter. So I use my big ole floppy SR to get the job done. I'll work that stick into my face really good, just going to town. Then, I'll take my brush out of a mug full of hot water, and I like to 'prime' it by swirling it around the stick a few times before I start working it on my face. I get some of my best shaves with the stick.

-Nick

One of these days I am going to use the stick in the mode they were designed to satisfy, i.e. No Brush, No Lathering, just super fragrant, highly lubricating shaving media!

guenron said:
One of these days I am going to use the stick in the mode they were designed to satisfy, i.e. No Brush, No Lathering, just super fragrant, highly lubricating shaving media!
I have done that with QED sticks while traveling, and it works fine. Kinda boring though.

Top Bottom