What's new

Shave stick

This is a subjective question, but how long does a shave stick normally last you guys that use them daily. A normal shave puck of Williams would last me 6-7 months more expensive soaps a year. How long does a stick of arko or derby last?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Usually about 30 days for normal people, give or take. Sticks usually aren’t made as hard as the Williams puck, but then nothing is except diamonds and 3T hard soaps which are remarkably similar to modern Williams but cost a lot more. The scents are much nicer though.

Humor aside, sticks are softer because the surface area of the soap is much smaller than a puck, so bringing up a lather takes about the same time. IMO.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
With hard soaps, I get about 4 shaves per gram. Palmolive shave sticks were conducive to this, giving me in the region of 200 shaves for a 50g stick. Softer soaps such as Wickhams or Phoenix and Beau with give me nearer 3 shaves per gram, and this would likely apply to softer sticks too.

However, I like a thinner, wetter lather. Folks who prefer a denser lather will likely use more soap than me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I love the concept of sticks, I hate them in use. Simply too hard. The only one I really took too was a softer Turkish Soap. GZD Berber which is out of production.

My shave sticks get grated and mashed into a much. I do think many sticks last as long as a puck, not all are soft by any means.
For brands that come in both, I bet the Arko, Derby or Tabac bowls/pucks last similar to the sticks save for the difference in size.

I looked for this info a couple of months ago and found a long thread here where someone literally counted the shaves from various sticks. In a summary post near the end, all the results were listed.

I remember 60 was a reasonable estimate on the low end of the range, so I figured one stick would be good for about 4 months shaving every other day. I’ve been using a couple, but only for 2 months so far, so I can neither confirm nor refute that estimate.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find that post right now, but I’ll post a link if I have a chance to look again later.

An ARKO stick lasts about 8 months of daily shaves for me. I've got about a centimeter left of a stick that I started at the end of July.

Found it. Here’s the thread, and here are the results if you don’t want to read through all 207 pages. Much bigger range than I remembered.

I’m using a Mama Bear’s and La Toja and I haven’t been counting, but I can confirm that I’m using up the Mama Bear’s much faster (though I love the dragon’s blood scent and am probably using it slightly more often).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This is a subjective question, but how long does a shave stick normally last you guys that use them daily. A normal shave puck of Williams would last me 6-7 months more expensive soaps a year. How long does a stick of arko or derby last?
I get about six weeks from an ARKO stick but I use ARKO daily. Razorock sticks are harder and much longer lasting.

I am currently on month 5 with a la toja stick. I use a soap exclusively until it's done. The la toja is a 50gram stick of soap and l shave every other day. So I guess a daily shaver would get about 2 1/2 months from a stick of this soap. It's quite a bit softer than wilkinson sword and Palmolive but harder than speick. About the same as Arko though IIRC Arko is 75grams per stick.

You need to normalize this based on the size of the stick. Some are smaller, some are larger. Think about this in terms of grams per shave, instead of lifetime of a stick. I'm estimating somewhere between 0.5 to 1.0 gram per shave. Some people load lightly, some more heavily.

Do the math and you get estimates like these:

Speick (50g) 50 - 100 shaves
Arko (75g) 75 -150 shaves
Tabac (100g) 100 - 200 shaves

Thanks I realized that this morning. Estimates aside I shaved with arko this morning and while I liked Williams better I was quite pleased with the performance of arko.

Glad to hear you liked it. I'm sure after a few more shaves. You will like it even more.

I estimate that I get somewhere around 160 shaves from an Arko stick.

Most are 3 pass shaves with touch up's. Sometimes if I'm short on time. It's 2 passes and touch up's.

You need to normalize this based on the size of the stick. Some are smaller, some are larger. Think about this in terms of grams per shave, instead of lifetime of a stick. I'm estimating somewhere between 0.5 to 1.0 gram per shave. Some people load lightly, some more heavily.

Do the math and you get estimates like these:

Speick (50g) 50 - 100 shaves
Arko (75g) 75 -150 shaves
Tabac (100g) 100 - 200 shaves

+1! Grams/shave is definitely a good metric!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You should dfinitely try La Toja and Pre de Provence, only slightly more expensive per gram, but PdP is 150g so a puck is correspondingly more expensive than a 50g or 75g stick.

Both of these are better straight razor soaps than Arko IMO.

Top Bottom