What's new

Shave Stick Off

A note on your Arko stick... it is often to be found for not much more than $1 per when one purchases a dozen. Leaving a stick open will allow the scent to dissipate with time. If one enjoys the performance, a reduced scent and being able to call it very inexpensive may help with the decision to use it.

Great thread.

I could definitely see how the smell could evolve after being left out of the foil. You’re correct about the Arko in bulk prices. That is a smoking deal for someone that loves Arko.

Taylor of Old Bond Steet , sandalwood
Speick
Nivea
And I use Haslinger as a stick....it is the BEST of all.....for me it's even on the top of most soaps and creams...

I have seen the Nivea on other threads recently. The scent of the cream is nice and subtle so that will probably be the next stick to order and review.

I’ve never tried Haslinger but have only heard good reviews.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Same here, I watched a video on YouTube or I would have had no idea
I found a wiki tutorial on b&b sorry no link i didn't save it but i found it on the search.
I could definitely see how the smell could evolve after being left out of the foil. You’re correct about the Arko in bulk prices. That is a smoking deal for someone that loves Arko.
i appreciate your review and thread. I just ordered la toja i have that aftershave. I like how you point out it has a cover.

You made a lot of good points. I'm a heavy shave stick user, too. Looking forward to more or your reviews.

* I feel I should point out you can save a lot of mony by buying from vendors in the UK and EU. Connaught's in the UK have great prices when you buy sticks in pairs and shipping is reasonable if you order several items. Check out their website. Several other vendors, too, but I won't list them all here.

* You haven't reviewed Speick, Palmolive, Tabac, Arko or Derby yet.

* Valobra got bought out by Proraso and some of their soaps are disappearing from the stores.

* Many other sticks will fit in the La Toja container. You just exchange the little plastic holder on the bottom and store the La Toja for later.

* You can make your own sticks by grating soaps and pressing them into a container. This opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

* Smaller soap pucks, like Haslinger, can be picket up in the hand and applied directly to the face in the same way as a stick. For travel, you can carry the puck in a small container just big enough to hold the puck.

We can close the thread, well said my dear sir

6. Tabac- This was by far the best packaging of all the sticks. Tabac comes in a very nice container with cover and base. The smell is probably offensive to some but I enjoyed it. This stick was a solid performer and lathered easily. I paid $11.99 at WCS for a single stick with container. The stick can also be purchased alone as a refill for the container which is a nice touch
9EE368AD-1D4B-422A-B8CF-94904401502D.jpeg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Excellent!

Shave sticks are in my rotation most days. I love them. Good work on reviewing them.

Tabac is a great shave stick. If you don't mind the scent too much! I always found that almost everyone agreed that it's a great product. Scent-wise, it's a love/hate debate!

Excellent!

Shave sticks are in my rotation most days. I love them. Good work on reviewing them.

Tabac is a great shave stick. If you don't mind the scent too much! I always found that almost everyone agreed that it's a great product. Scent-wise, it's a love/hate debate!

I agree scent is always very much an opinion! The tabac wasn’t as strong as I had anticipated. I had heard many rumors of it being a strong old man smell but I thought it was light/mild and enjoyed it. It paired nicely with some derby city chop shop aftershave.
1188F566-B67A-4187-929B-214C16DC274A.png

Glad to see this thread.. Early in my de shaving days i got a Palmolive stick for travel and it was so difficult to use i gave up. Looking at this thread i might try this again with either nivea or Haslinger which is one of my favorite soaps. Ive tried soaking the end of the stick but it made little difference. Is there any unique technique for sticks that i am.unaware of?

In addition to those mentioned above, I used to make my own shave sticks by taking hard soaps, grinding them with a cheese grater, and putting them in shave stick containers I bought from WCS. One of my favorites for travel was a stick I made from Cella soap. Since Cella is softer than most soaps I stuffed the container with the soap. I liked Cella because it was one of the easiest to make lather.

Luc

Staff member
Glad to see this thread.. Early in my de shaving days i got a Palmolive stick for travel and it was so difficult to use i gave up. Looking at this thread i might try this again with either nivea or Haslinger which is one of my favorite soaps. Ive tried soaking the end of the stick but it made little difference. Is there any unique technique for sticks that i am.unaware of?

Soaking the end of the shave stick really helps. Also, I make sure that my face is wet before applying the product. Make sure that you have a fair amount to start with (at least when you are trying to tweak how much product you need). I usually do both cheeks and throat. I do not apply any product under the nose.

You can just use the small Haslinger puck in the same way as a shave stick. Haslinger is not a very hard soap. It works really well as long as you apply enough soap. It doesn't take much, though. Haslinger can take quite a lot of water to get a good lather.

I recently started using sticks. I've used Ogallala Bay Rum and Palmolive. The Ogallala is terrific and comes in a super convenient container.
WCS sells empty containers for sticks in 2 sizes. I haven't seen them irl but they look good online.

7. Palmolive- This stick comes with a plastic bottom and wrapped in foil. I really enjoyed the light classic scent but obviously YMMV. The Palmolive was very easy to lather, perhaps one of the better of all sticks reviewed. I paid $3.00 on eBay but it took a few weeks to be delivered.

8C3D2BAC-A630-4430-90E2-FE2838A26E07.jpeg

Luc

Staff member
Is Palmolive selling the none gut 2.2 sticks?

7. Palmolive- This stick comes with a plastic bottom and wrapped in foil. I really enjoyed the light classic scent but obviously YMMV. The Palmolive was very easy to lather, perhaps one of the better of all sticks reviewed. I paid $3.00 on eBay but it took a few weeks to be delivered.

View attachment 1043794

Is Palmolive selling the none gut 2.2 sticks?

Not sure what the none guy version is but this is what mine looked like
84399560-7F51-4841-8A62-011E4BE0E617.jpeg

View attachment 1043794

+1! Great value IMO!!

The Palmolive sticks I have are dark green packaging, not white/green like the ones in the link @Luc is quoting.
It's an excellent stick but I don't have comparison to offer. I think mine don't have any "gut" mention on them but there seem to be 2 boxes for the dark green version as well (note the 2 photos @Devlin posted).
I'll check when I'm home what my boxes look like.

Reactions: Luc
Top Bottom