What's new

Shave Stick Off

Gentlemen, on work days I usually prefer to spend a little less time shaving. I still do the whole process...pre-shave, brush, DE and aftershave but want a little quicker. I recently started trying shave sticks to save a little time and actually enjoy them (on work days).

I know shave sticks are usually used for travel but I found that they can still produce an amazing lather and luxurious shave.

My goal is to have a nice rotation of sticks for pre-work shaves. Obviously some days I use a different cream or soap.

I’m still waiting on a few to arrive which I’ll add my reviews of later but so far here are the sticks I’ve used. All of these reviews are my opinion and of course YMMV.

More to follow...

1. La Toja- This was probably the easiest to lather. It honestly requires almost no effort and all of a sudden you have lather pouring off the brush. I paid $7.86 for one stick on Amazon, although I’m sure it’s available cheaper elsewhere. The stick comes with a nice cover which I later found out that I prefer. The cover prevents the stick from making the whole cabinet smell like the soap. This brings me to scent, to me the La Toja stick just smells like soap. Having never smelled the cream of aftershave I can’t speak to their scent but the stick was a little boring to me.

075581DD-6795-4159-BEC3-D3533DC10149.png

2. Wilkinson Sword- This is also a very easy to lather stick. I paid $9.99 on eBay but again I’m sure it’s available cheaper. This stick does not come with a cover so it’s just the blue stick with a plastic bottom and foil. This stick has the best scent to my nose. It is a soap scent but with a barbershop tone to my nose. I find myself reaching for this stick the most so far.

FAEDE006-8C6B-415E-BE32-366C247F7FE2.jpeg

3. Valobra- I had the highest hopes for this stick and the hardest time lathering it. It was not impossible by any means but not as easy as the previous sticks. I paid $14.50 on Smallflower which makes it the most expensive stick I purchased so far. The scent is the most complex of all the reviewed sticks this far, it’s sweet but complex kind of Italian barbershop. This stick also did not come with a cover which was a little surprising for the price. I believe this stick may have been discontinued so that be be the reason for the high price.

5A314FED-3050-49E0-9518-E51CB97131E9.jpeg

4. Lea- This was also on the harder side to lather. I paid $6.99 on eBay but have seen it available cheaper. The scent is a very light soap and is pleasant. The stick comes with a cover which I like as I mentioned earlier. I have never tried the Lea cream so can’t compare the two scents unfortunately.

BCCC68FC-6E92-4270-88F8-3B7415C06EBF.jpeg

I am waiting for a Palmolive and Razorock Blue stick which I will review soon.

I’m also open to trying other member recommendations and/or trying sticks members would like reviewed.

FWIW I’m not a shaving or scent guru, I just enjoy it and want to help others as much as these forums have helped me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Shaving sticks are great. I didn’t know how to use them until I found this forum. I used to try and load the brush off the end of the stick. Took forever.

Shaving sticks are great. I didn’t know how to use them until I found this forum. I used to try and load the brush off the end of the stick. Took forever.

Same here, I watched a video on YouTube or I would have had no idea

You made a lot of good points. I'm a heavy shave stick user, too. Looking forward to more or your reviews.

* I feel I should point out you can save a lot of mony by buying from vendors in the UK and EU. Connaught's in the UK have great prices when you buy sticks in pairs and shipping is reasonable if you order several items. Check out their website. Several other vendors, too, but I won't list them all here.

* You haven't reviewed Speick, Palmolive, Tabac, Arko or Derby yet.

* Valobra got bought out by Proraso and some of their soaps are disappearing from the stores.

* Many other sticks will fit in the La Toja container. You just exchange the little plastic holder on the bottom and store the La Toja for later.

* You can make your own sticks by grating soaps and pressing them into a container. This opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

* Smaller soap pucks, like Haslinger, can be picket up in the hand and applied directly to the face in the same way as a stick. For travel, you can carry the puck in a small container just big enough to hold the puck.

You made a lot of good points. I'm a heavy shave stick user, too. Looking forward to more or your reviews.

* I feel I should point out you can save a lot of mony by buying from vendors in the UK and EU. Connaught's in the UK have great prices when you buy sticks in pairs and shipping is reasonable if you order several items. Check out their website. Several other vendors, too, but I won't list them all here.

* You haven't reviewed Speick, Palmolive, Tabac, Arko or Derby yet.

* Valobra got bought out by Proraso and some of their soaps are disappearing from the stores.

* Many other sticks will fit in the La Toja container. You just exchange the little plastic holder on the bottom and store the La Toja for later.

* You can make your own sticks by grating soaps and pressing them into a container. This opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

* Smaller soap pucks, like Haslinger, can be picket up in the hand and applied directly to the face in the same way as a stick. For travel, you can carry the puck in a small container just big enough to hold the puck.

Thank you for the information Sir. I have Palmolive and Tabac on the way, also just waiting to run out of Speick cream before I order the stick. I’m obviously already a Speick fan though but still curious about the stick performance. Arko and Derby still need to be ordered.

...I’m obviously already a Speick fan though but still curious about the stick performance...
If you like the cream, I think you will love the stick. Just a very good performer. You can even combine the cream and stick for a real lather explosion.

Apply the stick as usual, put a small (pencil eraser size) bit of cream into a damp brush, and you will be in for a treat.

If you like the cream, I think you will love the stick. Just a very good performer. You can even combine the cream and stick for a real lather explosion.

Apply the stick as usual, put a small (pencil eraser size) bit of cream into a damp brush, and you will be in for a treat.

Thanks for the advice I’ll be sure to give that a try.

Great thread, thanks for sharing your reviews!

I have a stick of Derby and Arko in the drawer that I’ve needed to get to and try.

1. La Toja- This was probably the easiest to lather. It honestly requires almost no effort and all of a sudden you have lather pouring off the brush. I paid $7.86 for one stick on Amazon, although I’m sure it’s available cheaper elsewhere. The stick comes with a nice cover which I later found out that I prefer. The cover prevents the stick from making the whole cabinet smell like the soap. This brings me to scent, to me the La Toja stick just smells like soap. Having never smelled the cream of aftershave I can’t speak to their scent but the stick was a little boring to me.

View attachment 1041461

2. Wilkinson Sword- This is also a very easy to lather stick. I paid $9.99 on eBay but again I’m sure it’s available cheaper. This stick does not come with a cover so it’s just the blue stick with a plastic bottom and foil. This stick has the best scent to my nose. It is a soap scent but with a barbershop tone to my nose. I find myself reaching for this stick the most so far.

View attachment 1041462

3. Valobra- I had the highest hopes for this stick and the hardest time lathering it. It was not impossible by any means but not as easy as the previous sticks. I paid $14.50 on Smallflower which makes it the most expensive stick I purchased so far. The scent is the most complex of all the reviewed sticks this far, it’s sweet but complex kind of Italian barbershop. This stick also did not come with a cover which was a little surprising for the price. I believe this stick may have been discontinued so that be be the reason for the high price.

View attachment 1041463

4. Lea- This was also on the harder side to lather. I paid $6.99 on eBay but have seen it available cheaper. The scent is a very light soap and is pleasant. The stick comes with a cover which I like as I mentioned earlier. I have never tried the Lea cream so can’t compare the two scents unfortunately.

View attachment 1041464

I am waiting for a Palmolive and Razorock Blue stick which I will review soon.

I’m also open to trying other member recommendations and/or trying sticks members would like reviewed.

FWIW I’m not a shaving or scent guru, I just enjoy it and want to help others as much as these forums have helped me.

Excellent reviews!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

La Toja is my favorite ‘travel’ stick. I would add that it lathers well in hard and soft water.

* Don't forget DR Harris makes stick versions of their soaps. I think they are all the same formula, just different scents, so you could pick one to review.

* If the soap stick is dense and hard, you can soak the end in hot water for a minute or two and you will get more soap applied to the face. I have never damaged a shave stick by doing this.

Top Bottom