What's new

Shave Stick Fans?

What is your opinion on shave sticks?

• I Love them

• I don't like them, but I live with them for the scent

• I buy them and melt them down

• You should be drawn and quartered for even posting this poll!

• Are they still making shave sticks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought I would start a poll on shave sticks, having recently melted down all mine into bowls. I saw others who have also said they like tubs better.

BTW, this means no disrespect to Charles - I know he likes the shave stick format, and for good reasons. I am just curious to see who in our community leans each way.

Some one thinks you should be drawn and quartered....lol

I love the scent of the lavander I had and when I finally built perfect lather it was not very lubricating :confused: I would like to give it a go again because these are perfect for travel.

I voted for love them. Since learning how to use them with my shaving bowl I really don't see a down side. They're affordable, offer variety, don't take up much storage space, and as I did this morning, can be combined to offer some pretty cool scents - chocolate and peppermint.

I really wish some of the scents would be available in a tub format. Since not all scents are available in the tub format, I'll just follow Randy's method for melting them down into bowls.

The selection of scents is great, but I prefer the jars. Still, I suppose they are pretty good for travelling.

Rik said:
I voted for love them. Since learning how to use them with my shaving bowl I really don't see a down side. They're affordable, offer variety, don't take up much storage space, and as I did this morning, can be combined to offer some pretty cool scents - chocolate and peppermint.
Me too! While I don't use the Rik Shavebowl Technique, I've figured out how to get good, sound lather out of them. Like the Bergamot a lot! And for 218 I'm really keen. (Poetry this early in the morn'?) :o16:

I love the shave sticks but I melt them down. I cut the shave stick into 6 to 8 pieces, place in the container then nuke for 15 seconds. I've been using Ziploc "Twist and Loc" containers and these seem to work very well for storing.

Patrick

I usually use trumpers cream at home. Combined with my Shavemac XXL and Vision razor, and using an antique schick injector for my third pass and touchup, this setup gives me a consistantly great shave. When traveling, this has proven to be a bothersome set, especially with the airlines now enforcing a fifty pound limit.
I just spent a week on the road, and used a QED shave stick, my SMF brush (thanks again Joel), a toggle gillette DE, along with my 60 year old schick injector. The result was a consistantly good, if not at times great shave; a little more use, and I would expect a consistantly great shave too.

The stick is compact, neat, smells great in its many editions, and works wonderfully.

Sticks appear to have their place. I just returned from two weeks vacation in Cal. and used a QED stick (bayRum) - loved it. I think for travelling there is no better, easier way to go.

Well scent fans, the semi official word is in. For all of you that loved to hate the stick form Charles has some really great news.
Shaving soap scents in bowls will increase from 4 to 14 ... at least that's the plan. So for all those guys who said: "... hey, I'd buy it if it were available in jar." ... well, now it is ...
To be completely honest, originally I hated the sticks, loved the fragrances. Now I have mastered the use of the sticks and I have accumulated a handsome number and assortment, it is with some sense of loss that I have made this important announcement. Your voices have been heard! This poll and a lot of whinning have paid off.:001_tt1:

Nick said:
Yeah, now I won't know which to order and it was nice to be able to complain about the stick. So should I have said with some sense of discomfort? some ominous forbearance? a queasy feeling? the tormenting itch of ... Ooops, wrong product..:blushing:

I have actually grown more attached to the sticks as well, but I think a lot of gents are going to be happy with the increased jar lineup.

Ron:

Gotcha...

I've grown to really like the stick format. This does pose a dilemma, of course, there's nothing saying you can't buy both. :wink:

-Nick

Top Bottom