What's new

Shave stick AND preshave?

So this question just popped into my head. I use a shave stick for travel but never bring along preshave. I use the GD preshave for my regular shaves but always use soap and a brush at home. So, given that the normal shave stick routine involves rubbing the stick over the beard first, how would you use a preshave? I imagine the stick wouldn’t really transfer the soap as well if your face already has the preshave on it? Am i overthinking this? Just curious if any of you gents use both and how it has worked for you.

I think you're overthinking this.

You can make the shave stick softer by soaking it in warm water for a minute or two. When you apply it to your face, the soap will stick to your whiskers (even with pre-shave). As long as you have enough soap applied in a fairly even layer, when you start brushing the lather should form (or explode, depending on which shave stick you're using).

I figured i might be. Because i’ve never tried it, i just pictured an unholy mess resulting.

Sir Macduff, no problemo using a preshave with a stick. I do it routinely.
For preshave, my usual is rubbing whiskers with a bar of clear glycerin soap, lathering with the brush, then lightly rinsing. This leaves a nice, slick glycerin layer over the skin. Then proceed to rub on the shave soap stick, etc as normal. Just about any clear glycerin soap would work. Or, you could use any other preshave product, just rinse lightly and then smear on the shave stick. Give it a try!!

D.R. Harris Arlington, Schick, Ach Brito, September 14, 2017.jpg

I will be trying it at some point. I’m in the leap year sabbatical so eventually the arko stick will be used at home instead of just for travel. Thanks!

Top Bottom