What's new

Shave soaps in recyclable containers

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Glass recycling in the US is problematic. There is no method currently in use that ensures intact glass containers put out for recycling pick up do not break during the pick up, transport and drop off process.
Much of what we put out in the blue bins for recycling just goes to landfill because cardboard is easily contaminated and rejected, plastic is now being rejected by the largest plastic recycling country (China) due to contamination restraints, and the vast majority of glass gets broken in route from curbside and can't be used. All of this, even though put in a recycling bin goes to the landfill.
If you're looking at sustainability in the recycle/re-use category, your best bet is probably re-use.
There's zero waste if you are actively re-using a container, even if it is plastic.

One reason I switched to DE/SR shaving is to reduce waste. To this end, I want a shave soap that is not in plastic (though plastic too is recyclable). What shave soaps that come in recyclable containers? I'll start with the two that I use:

• Antiga Barbearia De Bairro Essentials (in a glass jar with a metal lid)
  • Ach. Brito Mogno (a soap bar that comes in a cardboard box)

Arko, Derby Shaving sticks are sold only wrapped in paper. Quite a few of my favourite shaving sticks aren't plastic free, but have a small plastic base, eg Tabac, Speick, etc

If you get a 1kg of a croap like 3P, Vitos, Cella, TFS, often they will be sold in a paper carton but the soap itself will be in one sheet of plastic wrap. In terms of generating waste, I think this option is the most environmentally friendly option.

Mogno has been mentioned, also the Ach Brito Musgo puck also comes just in paper wrapping.

Having a look at my main dealer for buying shaving soaps, they sell a number of soaps just in paper wrapping, from SV, Tabac, DRH, Phoenix and Beau, CRS, MWF, Culmak to name a few.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
IMG_20210724_083307.jpg

Their is no substitute for perfection in both soap and packaging.

...I’ve even seen a trend of soapmakers switching from tins to plastic by “popular request” which is unfortunate (to someone like me who cares about using less plastic) especially given that there are rust-resistant tins that do a great job, in my experience at least...
Vendors don't like the tins because cosmetically imperfect goods don't sell. The tins are not as popular because they can get dented or scratched and might possibly rust. That bothers people with OCD tendencies of which there are many!

I bought some Klar Seifen shaving soaps for $5 each that normally sell for around $25 each. The aluminum tins had a tiny bit of cosmetic damage, so they were collecting dust at the store.

klar-seifen-1.png

Last edited:
I bought some Klar Seifen shaving soaps for $5 each that normally sell for around $25 each. The aluminum tins had a tiny bit of cosmetic damage, so they were collecting dust at the store.

$5 is a steal for those, nice find! Where, if you don't mind me asking?

Vendors don't like the tins because cosmetically imperfect goods don't sell. The tins are not as popular because they can get dented or scratched and might possibly rust. That bothers people with OCD tendencies of which there are many!

I recall rust was an occasional complaint with the old CRSW tins, which I think may have been the reason those were switched to plastic tubs. Kind of a shame from an esthetic standpoint too -- it was such a visually striking design. Made the soap feel classier somehow.

why in the world does one need that many tubes of JB weld, that alone right there scares me lol.

Regardless, it's good to see you repurposing those containers, I give my old shave soap containers to my daughters and they use them for playing with their other toys etc. They love them and think that they are the best thing ever.

Global soap is made in New Zealand* and comes in cardboard. I use their Cedarwood & Lime, and while it doesn't have much of a scent, it makes a terrific lather.

global.jpg

* Yes, I realize that a Kiwi soap will be of little interest to most B&B'ers, but I found this thread so some other denizens of Aotearoa might end up here in future :)

Glass recycling in the US is problematic. There is no method currently in use that ensures intact glass containers put out for recycling pick up do not break during the pick up, transport and drop off process.

Recycling today is a farce. Towns contract with the cheapest bidder, and get money from the State for the amount collected, NOT recycled. There are no figures as to how much actually gets recycled. From what I've seen in my working years in the solid waste and recycling industry, most gets picked up in a garbage truck, compacted, then stuffed into a container and shipped overseas to be landfilled in some 3rd world country. The State pays the town by tonnage picked up and everyone's a hero. Wow, "we" recycle 60-70%. In your dreams.

In the early 1970s, when it was done right, my army reserve unit was involved in recycling. Twice a month, 4 of us deuce-and-a-half drivers went to different to towns on Saturdays, where residents brought their recyclables to their DPW. One truck was metal which went to American Can, the aluminum truck went to Alcoa, and newsprint went to NYT. I drove the glass truck, separating glass in my truck by green, brown and clear, which went into different bunkers at a glass plant. None of those end markets exist today.

Last edited:
from Ikea called Grundtal

been using a few of these for samples and put my MWF puck in it and do like them as they are magnetic and stick to the inside door of my cabinet :)
also had sample blades in them

Height: 1 1/2 "
Diameter: 3 3/4 "

will not be taking any soaps out of anything they come in ? so even these are only for refill or other use kinda thing :)

ditto about recycle not being what you wish :)
from developed countries its just shipping the stuff to other countries to deal with for a small amount of money and a pat on our own backs saying look at us !
and those countries do not always deal with it ethically so its more a out of sight out of mind !

I taught scuba for 15 years mostly in Hawaii and the Caribbean and Micronesia and can tell you in the Caribbean and Micronesia poor countries its sad to see the insane amount of garbage around !
even in Hawaii the amount that gets washed up on non tourist beaches and in the ocean out of sight is really sad !

1640992267167.png

1640992394369.png

A Tupperware bowl isn’t so bad it can be repeatedly used and will possibly outlast us if looked after well …. Also pretty airtight…idk about nowadays Tupperware but they used to be

Just to show what can be achieved with a well established recycling program although in a comparable small country like Austria (pop. 9m).
Over 1 million metric tons from households only that didn’t went to the landfill.

4EF59B57-A2E6-4718-ADD9-36A6983C476B.png

Best bet is to either buy soap in easy recyclable packaging

Glass/ceramic several razorock 150ml soaps. Meissner Tremonia, tabac, mdc.
Allu: wsp, scheermonnik

Or easier only buy refills and put them in existing jars or buy some to reuse forever. A thrift store could find you these also. And Tupperware works too.

Top Bottom