What's new

Shave Soap Stick(s) - Why?

If the company that makes Arko, decided to make a 2nd scent for the stick, Arko would ruin many other companies. I think the scent is repulsive to newer generations that haven't grown up smelling Marseille's laundry soap and so they call Arko "urinal cake", because nowdays women turn on the washing machine even of a single blouse to wash.

Back in the old days, i still remember my mother saying to me, when i was returning from play all dirty "Take out your t-shirt, where were you rolling around in dirt again? Oh, since it's just one, i will wash it by hand". And then the smell of Arko (Marseille's soap). Younger generations (where many women don't even have the notion of washing by hand) don't know that smell from its origins, so the best next thing they can think of, is "urinal cake".

So Arko should just make a variation of the smell and commercialize the same stick with new scent. This would keep everyone happy.

Of course, the way things are going, instead of a second scent, it's more probable that in a few years we will see the demise of Arko and substituted by "vegan Arko".

The much praised Saponificio Varesino is a Marseille method made shave soap. They mention this with pride on their website, boasting being the only remaining to do so in Italy.

Remember Formula 4.3 Beta? It's a better smelling Arko. :001_005:

The much praised Saponificio Varesino is a Marseille method made shave soap. They mention this with pride on their website, boasting being the only remaining to do so in Italy.

Interesting. I don't know if Arko is made my "Marseille method", i just know that the scent is that of the Marseille soap.

I haven't followed much the evolution of SV. An "Arko fougere" i think would be a huge success. :001_005:

Interesting. I don't know if Arko is made my "Marseille method", i just know that the scent is that of the Marseille soap.

I haven't followed much the evolution of SV. An "Arko fougere" i think would be a huge success. :001_005:

There's hope. People cried for an Arko puck and they made one.

:lol:
Thanks for helping me learn something new today. Still, all of those fancy extracts in it must do something, because SV (4.0) is consistently my best performing soap so far in this journey, while Arko. . . Well, if someone wanted to gift it to me I would politely decline. Or possibly use it in the shower.

I do! For me, it's not the scent that is the issue. While I won't miss the scent, I found the shaves to be lacking. The performance was so weak that I almost threw it out after each shave--partly because it's the most drying soap I've encountered to date. It might actually dry my skin out more than Dawn would.

In short, I find that Arko performs like one would expect the bargain bin soaps to perform. But I will admit that it seems a bit more consistent than Williams. My lovely SV may be far more expensive but, as they say, life is too short for bad shaves. :001_smile
Its funny how shaving can be such a YMMV thing. Arko is a perfect example: some love it, some hate it. As you know, I love it and am getting great shaves from it. If Arko were as bad as some claim it to be, it wouldnt have been around for 50+ years.

Its funny how shaving can be such a YMMV thing. Arko is a perfect example: some love it, some hate it. As you know, I love it and am getting great shaves from it. If Arko were as bad as some claim it to be, it wouldnt have been around for 50+ years.
Unfortunately, shaving has a ton of variables involved. Your genetics, habits, and environment impact the skin, water quality can be all over the place, and each person's shaving tools and techniques are pretty unique too. When you think about it, being able to agree on anything is far more surprising than disagreeing! :001_302:

:lol:
Thanks for helping me learn something new today. Still, all of those fancy extracts in it must do something, because SV (4.0) is consistently my best performing soap so far in this journey, while Arko. . . Well, if someone wanted to gift it to me I would politely decline. Or possibly use it in the shower.

There's no doubt SV is better than Arko. The shaving experience is more than just about foam and slicing hair. Visual, olfactory and anecdotal perception matters to us.

Arko also in their marketing literature mentions using that method for soapmaking. I doubt they have separate machines for bath and shave soaps.

Top Bottom