What's new

Shave Secret Shaving Oil?

murchmb said:
Has anyone used this before? I saw it at Wal-Mart and haven't seen any references to it around here. It was sitting next to the King of Shaves products.

http://www.shavesecret.com/
I am not a preshave prep user, so I have no idea. We do have some folks who swear either by or at PSO. Perhaps they will register their experiences?

I tried an oil for the firt time this morning. A sample of KOS shaving oil. I was running around crazy after my shower and let my face get dry. To add to everything, there wasn't any more hot water by the time I got around to shaving. Expecting an awful shave, I slopped some luke warm water on my face, applied the oil and some Taylor's Avocado, and went to it with my Merkur HD and new Israeli blade in. I threw technique out the window and made it a quick one. After all that, it was one of the best shaves I've had since I started with a DE. I don't know if it was the oil, the new blade (iIusually use Merkurs), or pure dumb luck. I'm interested in preshave oils now. I guess some PSO is in my future, but the Wal-Mart product caught my eye.

I say give it a try. It looks like something I bought once on detachment, and if its the same stuff it blows the KOS and the PSO away. And its cheaper. You say you got some at wal mart?
I'll have to go look, because, again, if its the same stuff, I looked for it again for a few years and finally decided it was not being made anymore.
If it gives you a good shave, with only a few drops....it might be the same stuff.
John P.

murchmb said:
I tried an oil for the firt time this morning. A sample of KOS shaving oil. I was running around crazy after my shower and let my face get dry. To add to everything, there wasn't any more hot water by the time I got around to shaving. Expecting an awful shave, I slopped some luke warm water on my face, applied the oil and some Taylor's Avocado, and went to it with my Merkur HD and new Israeli blade in. I threw technique out the window and made it a quick one. After all that, it was one of the best shaves I've had since I started with a DE. I don't know if it was the oil, the new blade (iIusually use Merkurs), or pure dumb luck. I'm interested in preshave oils now. I guess some PSO is in my future, but the Wal-Mart product caught my eye.
I don't think I would mess with success! If that preshave prep oil seems to do the trick, buy! buy!:badger:
Then again, there is always the opportunity to experiment and become a connoisseur of preshave oils! We spend a goodly portion of our time (and money) doing just that with blades, brushes, razors, soaps, creams, aftershaves, colognes, etc. Have at it and let us know how it goes.:smile:

Hello All,

Shave Secret shave oil is made by USA Kings Crossing in Cuero TX. Same company that makes Shave Deluxe shave oil. http://www.ShaveDeluxe.com.

I have used Shave Deluxe and it works well as a pre-shave, but it has a strong menthol scent to it which I, personally, don't care for. I don't know if Shave Secret is different. I found Shave Deluxe at Whole Foods.

I use Pacific Shave Oil (PSO), http://pacificshaving.com/. Virtually unscented and will not clash with any balms or EDTs I may use. Since I started using PSO back in January, I have had zero DE razor irritation. Zero, irregardless of cream, soap, foam, gel or brushless.

Just my personal opinion.

Cheers,

Richard
Long-time PSO User in TX

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard:
I assume since you still use it you've had no problems with your brushes? I thought I had read posts where some shavers thought shave oils negatively affected their brushes.

Jerry

I sould clarify that I haven't yet bought any. I have only tried a KOS sample. I had planned on getting the PSO with my next QED order, but saw this while shopping the other night. I was hoping this stuff might be an unknown that was along the lines quality-wise with PSO, T&H, etc. I see now on the Shave Secret web page that this stuff has a "hint" of menthol. I'll have to finish my KOS sample and see if I can stand the menthol before I purchase the SS.

I also us Pacific Shave Oil daily (for third - fourth pass only) and have had zero issues with my brushes.

I'm basically a convert!

Hello Jerry,

I conducted a test on the effects of PSO on my brush bristles and its lathering ability and posted the results on SMF earlier this year. PSO did not have any adverse effects on the brush bristles or its lathering ability.

I have been using PSO, three applications per shave (three passes), for about 10 months now.

My Savile Row brush is as good as new, tips not bent, not oil-matted, good water-retention, still nice and soft.

In addition to exposure to PSO three times a day, 1) the bristles are immersed daily in near boiling water in a mug prior to the first pass, 2) it lays in the bottom of the sink with hot water running over its bristles to rinse it after a shave, and then 3) it gets briskly brushed on a towel everyday to dry off. But I digress.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Shave Secret for several months now. Hard old whiskers, tender skin.

Third time I used it I dumped all aerosols, gels, soaps in the trash can.

I've used SS with single edge, multiblade, am now using a Gillette Fusion Power. I'm not impressed with it and like it better with out the power.

SS has a suttle clove like scent.

Just follow the directions on the little bottle/package

I got mine at Wal-Mart for under five bucks. One bottle last me perhaps six months or more. I try to shave three times a week and sometimes my whiskers are out there.

In fact I've bought several and pass them out to friends if they want to try something different.

Wow, way to revive a 5 year old thread!

Man, sometimes I forget how long this forum has been around.

Shave Secret is highly effective stuff.

Have not used Shave Secret, but I use King Of Shaves at every shave under my shave cream, and will not shave without a pre shave oil.

For me, it really makes a difference. First I apply my shave oil, then use a shave stick or shave cream. Oil gives me the slickness, cream or soap give me the cushion. Oil is slicker than any cream or soap, otherwise you would take your car in to get your cream changed.

Top Bottom