What's new

Shave Roulette

841734DB-EED9-4418-B668-CE9920E6F79F.jpeg

Monday’s brush and lather but today’s razor, and neither after shave because it’s bedtime so I finished with Sea Breeze. I somehow made a rather dry lather, but that actually gave me more friction to stretch my skin and I got a better than average straight shave today. :thumbup1:

Eben Stone

Staff member
Next shave will use Martin de Candre Vetiver and Mühle Vivo black fiber v2

I'm using RazoRock Hawk V3-OC and Feather Pro for the one blade February challenge.

My 3918 shave last night was really good. The "9" pulled up the only cream in my rotation, which I actually never used except when travelling, until Shave Roulette. The clean-up DE was the Knack, which I really, really like. The Knack is really underrated. Delightfully head-heavy, delightfully light, perfect aggression, easy to find the proper angle, easy to load/unload a blade. Looks like a cheap piece of crap but it shaves wonderfully.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Next shave will use Martin de Candre Vetiver and Mühle Vivo black fiber v2

I'm using RazoRock Hawk V3-OC and Feather Pro for the one blade February challenge.

Achieved a great shave today. 3rd shave with the SE and I'm getting closer shaves with less effort compared to DE. Hopefully these blades have good longevity.

I have to say, if I didn't know better, I would be beginning to question the randomness of random numbers. The past two rolls for me (I don't shave every day) have been 3918 and 3907. Notice anything about those two numbers?

First off, the first two digits are exactly the same, which for me means the same brush and the same software. Turned out to be my Rubberset R400 and my one and only cream, which I have NEVER used for two consecutive shaves at home. Ever. It was lovely, though.

Second, the last two digits went from 1-8 to 0-7, essentially just moving up the roulette page by one number each, which is pretty suspicious, don't you think? For me, 0-7 yielded my Kai Kasho shavette loaded with a Kai Mild PINK blade and the clean-up DE was my beloved Hybrid Tech! Both razors performed wonderfully. I put the Hybrid Tech head on my UFO TiTan FineL handle. This may be the pinnacle of DEs, to be honest.

I had a wonderful two-pass plus touch-up DFS this morning, with no irritation and no weepers.

Oh, I used a highly underrated post-shave product, too, one that I'm not sure is still in production. I used Pacific Shave Company's Caffeinated Aftershave Balm. This stuff smells like freshly torn spearmint leaves, which is quite refreshing, and it is a nice balm that absorbs quickly into the face without leaving it greasy at all. The caffeine is there to close capillaries, which would presumably reduce irritation and redness. With or without the caffeine, I just LOVE the scent of fresh spearmint and this balm really works well.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Today's shave:
Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti, Mühle Vivo black fiber v2, (and
self chosen RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, Feather Professional).

Used to much water when building the lather but otherwise the shave turned out ok. Got a micro nick, but the SE brings a whole new level of closeness.

I have to say, if I didn't know better, I would be beginning to question the randomness of random numbers. The past two rolls for me (I don't shave every day) have been 3918 and 3907. Notice anything about those two numbers?

First off, the first two digits are exactly the same, which for me means the same brush and the same software. Turned out to be my Rubberset R400 and my one and only cream, which I have NEVER used for two consecutive shaves at home. Ever. It was lovely, though.

Second, the last two digits went from 1-8 to 0-7, essentially just moving up the roulette page by one number each, which is pretty suspicious, don't you think? For me, 0-7 yielded my Kai Kasho shavette loaded with a Kai Mild PINK blade and the clean-up DE was my beloved Hybrid Tech! Both razors performed wonderfully. I put the Hybrid Tech head on my UFO TiTan FineL handle. This may be the pinnacle of DEs, to be honest...
Tuesday's spin was 8324. That must have been one of your non-shaving days. You could have possible fallen back to 8324. At least you had some good shaves with the unusually similar spins!

Tuesday's spin was 8324. That must have been one of your non-shaving days. You could have possible fallen back to 8324. At least you had some good shaves with the unusually similar spins!
I know. I always use the spin which is most proximate to my next shave. I think it isn't fair if I get to choose from two different spins; daily shavers have no such luxury.

Eben Stone

Staff member

For a while I was tracking the occurence if each digit, just out of pure curiosity.

Randomness doesn't mean there isn't a pattern. It just means that it's near impossible to predict the next value based on the pattern of the old values. There's only 10 values per digit, there's bound to be some repeats and lapses.

Try flipping a coin or rolling some dice. You will probably see a pattern. Now try guessing what the next 10 coin flips or dice roll will be, and the pattern vanishes.

Last edited:
Apologies all. It seems my last post is not showing the spoiler.

SPIN for Thursday, Feb. 4th:

I'm glad your new spin came up before I took my shower before bed.
This called for Williams soap, my Simpsons 57 brush, and a repeat of the King of Whiskers straight razor. It also called for AV Ice Blue, but no good when I'm going to bed next to the wife. She doesn't like it. I used Lucky Tiger instead.

Very thin lather today for some reason. Guess the 57 didn't feel like slumming it with the Williams. But it all worked, and I got a fine and comfortable shave.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Tomorrow's morning shave will use C. O. Bigelow and RazoRock 400

The RazoRock Hawk V3-OC + feather AC pro blade gives me an occasional micro nick, but otherwise the shaves are exceptionally close with very little effort and almost zero alum burn. It will be interesting to see how I feel about DE shaving after a month of SE.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Tomorrow's morning shave will use: Fendrihan european and Mühle Vivo black fiber v2.

I feel a bit lopsided with 2 brushes and 57 soaps.

At least the soaps are giving me some variety while I participate in the OBIF challenge.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Tomorrow's morning shave:
Saponificio Varesino Opuntia and Mühle Vivo black fiber v2.

It's been a while since I've used the opuntia. Hopefully my lathering skills have improved. Last time I used it I think I used way too much water.

Top Bottom