What's new

Shave Roulette

My updated bet...
Screenshot_20210112-162527_Office-01.jpeg

So, I have been croupier for two weeks straight. I can keep doing it if you would like, but most of the time we have switched after a week.

I have to tell you, though, my last spin was really good. It brought up my Kai Kasho shavette, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus soap, my Pils razor for clean-up, and the Rubberset R400 for the brush.

I did something I haven't done since September of 2019! I finished the entire first pass with a DE, and then used the shavette for the second pass. Normally I just get the sideburns aligned with the DE and then switch to the shavette.

It had been so long since I had done a full shave with a DE I didn't really remember how I used to shave my neck. So I went with a variation on what I do with the shavette, and it worked great. I just love the Pils. It is becoming my favorite DE of all time. I got a fantastically smooth first pass, definitely a bit more reduction than I normally get with my shavettes. Second pass with the shavette was smooth and easy.

I had also forgotten how much I love Soapy Science soaps. The Lollipop Citrus scent is nice; reminiscent of Hydra by Dr. Jon's.

Shave #13
12/1/21
Shave Roulette #3402

I was too tired last night due to various things going on in my home, so I just pulled an Old Spice shave tube and finished the shave.

Today however I managed to shave at an almost decent hour.

When I matched today's Roulette, i found that everything is SAME AS YESTERDAY, (except for the blade), so I didn't missed yesterday's combination.

Hurray !

Soap : RazoRock Puros
Brush : Stubby 20 mm Synthetic
Razor : CS-11 (R41 rip off)
Blade :7 O'clock Black (?)
Aftershave : Anherb ASC

BBS+ confirm.

Puros cost me less than $9 and as I am using more products, I'm becoming more and more convinced that cost necessarily doesn't always dictate quality.

First time used a RazoRock soap (croap) and very pleased with the performance with face lather.

The protection and slickness is although less than B&M Hallows, BUT it is not that much less.

Thank you Croupier for spinning such awesome bets.

Edit : Also, many thanks to @Eben Stone for introducing me to Shave Roulette.

We had a brief chat about it last year and it perked up my interest right then.
IMG_20210112_224742.jpg

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
So, I have been croupier for two weeks straight. I can keep doing it if you would like, but most of the time we have switched after a week.

We've been going alphabetically. Looking at the participants that have posted this year, the next member would be @pdieten. I think you should ask him if he wants to take over, or ask for a volunteer. I'm willing to fill in at any time in case there's a problem.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Can't wait to try out the Derby Premium in the Tek. I get exceptional shaves with these blades in the R41. Hoping I get similar or better results in the Tek...

XXXX => West Coast Shaving Chypre, Mühle Vivo black fiber v2, Ikon Tek, Derby Premium

20210113_113232.jpg

Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Le Père Lucien~ Cèdre Orange
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (5)

SOTD 20.11.2020
Very close shave today. However I have mixed feelings wtr to this razor. The results never gave any reason to bother, however, this beauty is such a rough guy whilst shaving. I have yet to find a blade which provides smooth shaves with this razor...

Another run with Parker 87R today.
Again, a close shave. Blade was the RPL.
The shave was smooth in the wtg pass and okay in xtg pass, however atg was a bit of a tortuire (very slow exercised mini strokes with a permanent "bitey" blade feel)

Overall, the shave was okay (better than with the Gillette yellow. ), but my copy of this razor is clearly lacking a level of comfort In the atg pass. Blade alignment is flawless, though.

Shave #14
13/1/21
Roulette Bet #5640

Soap : Wickham Club Cola
Brush : Pearl 22 mm Long
Razor : CS-11
Blade : Supermax Platinum Plus (1)

DFS (-)
Rating : 5/10

Today's combination is another such combination I'd have never made.

It was a tricky (closer than necessary) shave.

Razor is aggressive and paired with an agressive blade (1st use), with today's brush suitable for bowl lather and in my (lack of) experience with Wickham as a bowl lather, it was bound to be a risky shave.

I managed to finish a 2 pass shave without cuts but when I applied aftershave spray with some alcohol content, my face lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Nivea aftershave balm came to rescue but today's shave taught me some things :

1) CS-11 is not an overrated razor, like I once said in a post.

Pair it with an aggressive blade, correct the blade alignment and you can have a really close shave, it's the continuity that is the problem for my face.

2) I haven't figured out Wickham soap/ water ratio and although it's easy to lather, but lather doesn't stay stable when bowl lathered.

3) 2 days in a row with CS-11 with 2 of my sharpest blade is probably the limit my face can endure.

Despite all the sufferings that I'm enduring, I'm happy to be part of the Shave Roulette, because I'm actually getting deeper understanding of my gears, skill and shave preference.

Tomorrow is another day, hopefully CS-11 will not come up for a few days.

IMG_20210113_185009.jpg

I had shave 5640 this morning. As luck would have it, it pulled up my newest brush and one of my Christmas soaps! So I used the Yaqi tuxedo brush and Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise (great, great soap). The razor was the Feather SS, and the touch-up DE was a gold post-war Tech. I remember buying the Tech on a day trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina with my wife. We had gone to a bunch of antique stores and had come up completely empty. I had just scoured this particular store and found nothing. I was quite disappointed.
As I was about to leave, the woman who owned the store asked, "Are you looking for something in particular?" and I told her I was looking for old shave stuff. She said, "Oh, hang on a minute. I have some stuff in the back." She went away and came back with a small box full of shave stuff, none of which she had yet put out for sale. One of the items in the box was this gold post-war Tech. She sold it to me for $10.

Anyway, if I had just paid $175 and this was a brand-new DE in shiny stainless steel, I would be gushing on the forum about how well it shaves and how it is worth every penny.

I did two passes on the neck and three on the cheeks, to get extra smooth. DFS+, smooth and comfy. 9/10.

I had shave 5640 this morning. As luck would have it, it pulled up my newest brush and one of my Christmas soaps! So I used the Yaqi tuxedo brush and Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise (great, great soap). The razor was the Feather SS, and the touch-up DE was a gold post-war Tech. I remember buying the Tech on a day trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina with my wife. We had gone to a bunch of antique stores and had come up completely empty. I had just scoured this particular store and found nothing. I was quite disappointed.
As I was about to leave, the woman who owned the store asked, "Are you looking for something in particular?" and I told her I was looking for old shave stuff. She said, "Oh, hang on a minute. I have some stuff in the back." She went away and came back with a small box full of shave stuff, none of which she had yet put out for sale. One of the items in the box was this gold post-war Tech. She sold it to me for $10.

Anyway, if I had just paid $175 and this was a brand-new DE in shiny stainless steel, I would be gushing on the forum about how well it shaves and how it is worth every penny.

I did two passes on the neck and three on the cheeks, to get extra smooth. DFS+, smooth and comfy. 9/10.
Well, I guess the Tech is worth the 165 bucks you saved😉. The Tech is indeed worth any penny. And 10 bucks seem to be a steal (according to European prices on the bay...) 👌

20210114_101053.jpg

Brush:Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm Synthetic
Soap: Barrister & Mann ~ Nordost
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger .84 Jaws
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (6)

A very nice orange-driven shave today.
Very smooth and close in all three passes.
Lucky no.7 allowed to choose the brush liberately. It's a nice (however huge) brush, perfect for bowl lathering... with a gentle scrub yet rather soft tips...

The RPL has quite some life ahead...

Last edited:
Top Bottom