Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ No. 50
Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84 Jaws
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)

7/1/2021
Cream/ Soap : Wickham Spice Trader
Brush : Stubby 20 mm Synthetic
Razor : Parker Variant Adjustable (2,3)
Blade : 7 O'clock Black

Music : Unchained Melody by Righteous Brothers and On Days Like These by Matt Monroe
I would have never put these blades in Variant Adjustable, but I must say these provide very smooth shave in Adjustable.

Given that I shaved twice yesterday, today's growth wasn't too much, so I went for WTG, XTG and only touch-ups ATG on cheek bone and under ear areas.
I usually keep the blacks for BBS razor.

AA63CBD3-2838-404D-ACD5-3419357B0E8D.jpeg

5- Captains Choice North
4- Super badger brush
5- Gillette Heritage razor and a new Spoiler P3
7- Old Spice Hawkridge

This brush is a big fluffy cloud with not much backbone. It did a very good job lathering the soap and that was damn near perfect.

I’m loading up a dispenser of 1970 Spoilers into all six of my rotation DE razors as they come up. They are not the sharpest blades, but very smooth, not unlike today’s better quality PPI blades. So using one in this too-mild razor made for extra shaving time because I needed more passes plus buffing. I got a painless BBS shave for my trouble. Didn’t even feel the Hawkridge going on. The smell dominated the soap so I didn’t even notice the incompatibility (Hawkridge is vanilla-chocolate-sandalwood, very nice but not like pine and juniper.) Either way a good if slightly tedious shave.

Shave Roulette #5457
Shave #9
08/01/2021

Soap : Wickham Spice Trader
Razor : RR BBS
Blade : Winner Stainless Steel (2) & binned
Aftershave : Alum rub, Anherb ASC

Evening Shave :
I saved enough time for an enjoyable shave and mood was also good.

It was a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) and didn't need any touch-up at all. Everything worked fine except for the lather quantity, but I didn't mind going back for re-up.

I have yet to figure out how much to load Wickham Old Spice and also water content with my Stubby synthetic brush.

I'm glad I went for more soap as this resulted in a very soothing end result.

After switching to wet shaving, the next best decision was to join Shave Roulette.
I'm already looking forward to next interesting combination.
IMG_20210108_163150.jpg

20210107_214137-01.jpeg

Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Sandpiper
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: BIC Platinum Chrome (1)

Today's spin (5457) offered a lucky no. 7 ( "select a blade of choice"). I opted for the BIC. Again, it turned out to be a great pairing with the R41. Two nice passes and bit of touch up work and a drama free BBS was settled.

Overall, a very nice shave...

Shave Roulette #1315
Shave #10
9/1/21

Soap : Catie's Bubbles Midnight Dreary
Brush : Omega 10005
Blade : Wilkinson Sword (1)
Aftershave : Anherb ASC

Ok, I wasn't sure about today's shave, as I love the Scent of Midnight Dreary but didn't want to waste the soap on unbroken boar brush, but loaded it anyway.

Lather was just OK, nothing spectacular and partly it is unbroken brush and partly my hesitation.

I think my shave gears sense the fear, and prey on it.

If any of my other quality soap comes up with the unbroken brushes, I'll excuse the soap rather than waste them.

The shave however was excellent, Midnight Dreary gave enough slickness for 3 pass shave and I achieved BBS confirm without much hassle.
Anherb is excellent aftershave, and with increasing temperature, it'll suit even better.
It is almost as good as Nivea Sensitive after shave balm, but contains a bit of menthol and maybe some Sandalwood oil.

IMG_20210109_135006.jpg

703BF35A-41FA-45D8-8696-18FE7F84803D.jpeg

1- Van Der Hagen deluxe soap (it lives in this mug made by Surrey for a Sears Roebuck branded mug and brush kit in the early ‘80s)
3- Made Rite 303 handle contains a Shave Forge mixed hair knot
1- Washington Cutlery King of Whiskers razor, pre-1907
5- Captains Choice sandalwood

I did 1315 because I knew it was going to be a good shave, and it was. VDH lathers well for me with the right amount of slickness, this brush has one of my favorite knots and an extremely comfortable handle, the knife cuts hair easily without cutting me, and the CC feels and smells great. Shaves like this are why I make a hobby out of it.

Slightly early spin reveals....

Hope this brings a good combo for you. Enjoy the weekend.
Oh it brought excellent combination for me, many thanks.

Shave #11
10/12/2021

Roulette #8492

Soap : Barrister and Mann Hallows
Blade : 7 O'clock Black (1)
Aftershave : Shaving Station Aftershave lotion

BBS+ confirm

B & M Hallows : It's a game of chase with smells, one after another and the resulting experience is such slick and soothing protection that I could go for 4 or 5 passes, that too happily.

Today's combination worked Perfectly -
Razor, Blade and Soap match made in heaven, I had to check again if there is a blade or not.

Yesterday's lackluster shave was because of my hesitation and lack of trust in my gears, it'll never happen again.

IMG_20210110_134013.jpg

20210110_200434-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Pharaoh's Dreamsiecle
Razor: SLOC
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (1)

Another great shave with the SLOC. It's not the most efficient razor in my den but it's a razor I can rely on 100% if I want a smooth shave (with dfs/bbs results). It's a clear keeper...

Today's spin, gents.................

I changed my bets recently, but I know that the DE is the Pils, now for the third time in the past four spins that I have done. All good, because it is very close to my favorite DE.

Enjoy your shaves!

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm starting to realize my betting sheet is a little uneven. I'm playing with 1 razor, 2 brushes, 19 blades, 58 soaps. Tomorrow morning's shave...

XXXX => RazoRock Son of Zeus, Mühle Vivo black fiber v2, Ikon Tek, Derby Extra

I cant wait to shave with the Derby Extra so I can finally be done with them. At least I can get 1 good shave out of them.

20210112_002020.jpg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Sandpiper
Razor: SLOC
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)

What a nice shave... This spin brought up the essence of joyfull products wrt to the former two shaves... (combo of SLOC & Sandpiper).
I really enjeoyed this shave. 3 nice smooth passes - bbs.

Btw, who is going to be the next croupier in charge?

Last edited:
Top Bottom