What's new

Shave Roulette

The dices have choosen a smooth combo I never have picked before.
In case there is enough stubble on my face on Sunday I am ging to go for it:

Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Trafalgar
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
So did you like the shave with the Old Type?

Yes, very much. Here's a little review of the shave:

It's not as aggressive as I like, I typically shave daily with Ikon Tek or R41. Otherwise, I think it's a very nice razor. I *really* like how it handles mustache and under the jawline AGT.

PXL_20201121_175400971.jpg

Prep: Hot shower and face wash with Pear’s soap
Pre: N/A
Brush: AP Shave Co Synbad
Soap: Lucky Tiger liquid shave cream
Razor:Rockwell 6s Plate 6
Blade: Feather (3rd use)
A/S: Proraso Green Splash

The Lucky Tiger balm is quite popular in the community but you don’t see many people using the cream. I happened to win a bottle from my local barber who gave away a few free bits and bobs for a raffle. It’s very thin and I made the mistake of assuming I would therefore need a largish squirt of it. I felt like the sorcerer's apprentice having cast a spell to create lather in my shave bowl. I couldn’t stop it and nearly had more than a bowl full. It’s good stuff with a distinct orangey smell and plenty of slickness and cushion.

I can feel my face is getting a touch raw from using the more efficient plates so I didn’t push in my trouble spots. Plate 6 will generally give me a DFS in three gentle passes no matter what. I normally use the 4 plate and sometimes the 3 if I got a bit of irritation the day before and so far the wheel has given me 4, 6, 4, 5, 5, 5, and 6 last night. I’m determined to stick with it and try and modify my technique, and perhaps my standards to minimise the irritation. Plate 6 again tonight so might just make this a simple 2 passer. NO PRESSURE!

7/10

The dices have choosen a smooth combo I never have picked before.
In case there is enough stubble on my face on Sunday I am ging to go for it:

Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Trafalgar
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)

Nothing special to report today. Just a nice smooth shave...

20201122_134552-01.jpeg

As for my next shave(s) I will fix my bet regarding the soap. A co-worker of mine asked for my opinion and gave me this soap sample. There are approx. 1 or 2 shaves left in the sample and I want to try it before we meet again on Wednesday. I never have used a Zingari Man soap before, so I'm curious... there are a lot of good reviews online wrt to this soap maker.

20201122_143628-01.jpeg

Enjoy your Sunday, gents!

My latest random shave was this morning. Fantastic. The de that was chosen was the Mamba. Used the SS and Soapy Science Doc's Special Blend.

Still no Pils and no S3S, now probably 26 or 27 random numbers without a single time hitting a 2 or a 3 as the fourth digit! Mind boggling!

I'm going to predict that one of the next two random numbers is going to end with either 2 or 3. I have faith that it is going to happen. Can't wait to give those razors another go.

I will start into the new week with....

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Zingari Man ~ Magician (sample)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: BIC (5)

Eben Stone

Staff member
4546 => SJoL cedar and sage, Muhle black fiber v2, Gillette New LC, Wilkinson Sword

^^ it will be interesting to find out how that hardware/software does tomorrow morning with 48 hour whiskers...

Eben Stone

Staff member
now probably 26 or 27 random numbers without a single time hitting a 2 or a 3 as the fourth digit! Mind boggling!

If anyone else is interested in metrics here's the digit count (hopefully i didn't miss any spins, I'm not keeping track of which position they are in):

0 = 18
1 = 16
2 = 15
3 = 16
4 = 20
5 = 24
6 = 21
7 = 15
8 = 14
9 = 25

I will start into the new week with....

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: BIC (5)
20201122_193746-01.jpeg

The shave turned out to be very nice. Really enjoyed the Fatboy, I should shave with it way more often.
I am going to finish the soap sample... So this item stays fixed one more time.

And you numbers for the day are......
PXL_20201123_175123944.jpg

Hard Luck @kingfisher! This is Tabac (on a Tuesday again!!!), Omega Boar, Plate 4 with a Gillette Silver Blue for me. Then I might give it a rest and choose some stuff for a change!

PXL_20201123_174604520.jpg

Prep: Hot shower and face wash with Pear’s soap
Pre: N/A
Brush: AP Shave Co 26mm Gelousy Badger
Soap: Cella
Razor:Rockwell 6s Plate 4
Blade: Feather (1st use)
A/S: Cella Splash

Did you ever have a shave that you were so sure was going to be brilliant and it just wasn’t? Some of my favourite products were being used, plus I missed my shave yesterday so I was bristly and keen to shear it off. Alas I just wasn’t in the right headspace somehow - I rate it a CCS but more rough patches against the grain than I would like - How disappointing!

Also The badger brush seems to kill Cella lather where it doesn’t with my other soaps - one to chalk down to the dangers of expectation! Not bad, no nicks or irritation but just average in terms of the closeness.

6.5/10

Today's spin will make me use a Shark Platinum blade for the very first time. I do hope the SP turns out to be a sharp blade since fortuity paired it with my mild 40's style Gillette SS. Frankly I have no clue what to expect...

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Razor: 40's style Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Shark Platinum (1)

Williams, the SS, and the Knack (or Slim Twist) for this evening's shave, and it went really well except for a couple of tiny weepers on the chin from the Slim Twist. Seemed lije it had more blade feel today than i remembered. It is an efficient razor, and i actually enjoy the balance with the long, plastic, tapering handle. An underrated DE, to be sure.

Today's spin will make me use a Shark Platinum blade for the very first time. I do hope the SP turns out to be a sharp blade since fortuity paired it with my mild 40's style Gillette SS. Frankly I have no clue what to expect...

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Razor: 40's style Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Shark Platinum (1)
20201123_202755-01.jpeg

First shave with the Shark Platinum. A tad too mild for my liking, at least when paired with this particular razor. But maybe there is no tugging at all in a more aggressive razor...

Top Bottom