What's new

Shave Roulette

Eben Stone

Staff member
Spin! The number is => 3655

Random useless fact of the day:

Random.org sure likes them 5's. 5's are chosen 2.5x more than the least occurring digit which is 1's. I got bored and counted em.

Last edited:
E83669B6-202D-4FA0-9247-334F5AB29550.jpeg

Again with the Sas’quets, RV 2018, SuperMax, and NEW SC. Maybe not the exact same group of 4, but definitely 4 recently used items. :shocked:

I'm going to sit this spin out. Do I have capabilities as thread starter to move it and rename? If so, I say we do it.

Spin! The number is => 3655

Random useless fact of the day:

Random.org sure likes them 5's. 5's are chosen 2.5x more than the least occurring digit which is 1's. I got bored and counted em.
Do you randomly generate 4 numbers or randomly generate a 4 digit number?

Do you randomly generate 4 numbers or randomly generate a 4 digit number?
Interesting question, but I can't imagine how it would make any difference whether you asked the randomizer to choose a 4-digit number or if you asked the randomizer to randomly pick 4 numbers one by one. Random is random, right? I mean, if you really want to get deep into the woods, randomization is actually a fascinating and complicated topic, but way beyond the scope of this thread. I mean, this is just shaving. I, for one, am enjoying having the machine pick out my shave for me. It's interesting.

By the way, last night's randomly generated shave was pretty great.

Interesting question, but I can't imagine how it would make any difference whether you asked the randomizer to choose a 4-digit number or if you asked the randomizer to randomly pick 4 numbers one by one. Random is random, right? I mean, if you really want to get deep into the woods, randomization is actually a fascinating and complicated topic, but way beyond the scope of this thread. I mean, this is just shaving. I, for one, am enjoying having the machine pick out my shave for me. It's interesting.

By the way, last night's randomly generated shave was pretty great.
Yeah randomization chosen by machine is an interesting problem, I agree on 4 individual digits vs a 4 digit. I was just curious.

1 pass AGT, or use a devette (assuming you have the necessary hardware).

For me attempting BBS is a stunt shave.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
I'm up for it, as long as it is not too crazy or dangerous. Odds of a 0000 are only 1:10000 though, so maybe roll for four-of-a-kind or a straight flush.

I have some 10 sided dice. I can roll em if anyone would prefer their shave chosen by (physics?) over machine code.
I'll point out that seeing a bunch of 5's in a row doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. If you toss a coin, for example, you could easily get three heads in a row, or three tails in a row, etc. Each trial is independent, IOW, the fact that you already got a head in the previous toss does not change the 1:2 odds of getting another head in the next toss.

If I understand correctly, random.org uses a random number generator sourced with chaotic data which is "atmospheric noise". That is, lightning discharges which can be detected via radio and recorded. It is not a conventional pseudorandom number generator based only on a mathematical algorithm.

Last edited:
Making a change to my bets. Just realized that although I do have ten different DEs on my list, three of them are Techs (post-war, flat-bottom, and Hybrid). I also realized that I have a Mamba that I forgot to list. So I am subbing in the Mamba for the flat-bottom Tech at position number 1.
I also have a Fatip Gentile somewhere. I haven't used it in FOREVER. I think I'll go ahead and also sub that one in for the post-war Tech at position number 0.

So now I have greater variety and only the king of the Techs remaining on the list.
I have some 10 sided dice. I can roll em if anyone would prefer their shave chosen by (physics?) over machine code.
Might be cool to have a mechanical randomization for at least one shave.

5246 => Proraso Red, Semogue 620, Pearl OC Bolt of Indra, 7 O'clock Yellow

It's been awhile since I've used the good old 620.

Bolt of Indra = Pearl OC base + SABI cap + SABI Bull Mastiff handle. An open-comb sledgehammer, more or less. Shaves nicely, though, once you get used to it.

bolt-3.png

Last edited:
New Setup for November - Hoping to 3017 some soaps and blades (red), trying to use some overlooked items (yellow), and looking forward to trying some new things (green).

32A75EF0-9B2D-497D-947C-E9D8E476E222.jpeg

And here’s my 5246 shave for tomorrow morning:
21F6568F-15E9-4668-9903-0BC3B8BFF195.jpeg

Obviously I’ll be using an injector blade in the G1 .... still haven’t added the “if” logic to the spreadsheet to force that. Will do eventually.

Eben Stone

Staff member
5246 => GFT GFT, Muhle synthetic, Muhle R41, Dorco ST301

I'm happy with this combination. The R41 + ST301 works really well for me. A great shave.

Top Bottom