What's new

Shave Roulette

20210122_164632.jpg

Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Streit ~ Grapefruit
Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)

Lovely shave. No flaws to report. 3 passes full of joy. Great spin.

20210123_123037.jpg

Brush: Mühle NOM Gustav Havanna Black Fibre Synthetic
Soap: Le Père Lucien ~ Cèdre Orange
Razor: Gillette Tech Ball End
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)

The Tech and the Personna provided a mild shave. I skipped the shave after three nice passes, because I feared to end up with irritation on the neck. Therefore the result did not have the desired level of closeness. Maybe I should have added a shim... Nevertheless, a neat shave.

Sorry for the delay, not sure if B&B was down for everyone or if I was special.

Happy Shaves!

B&B had some techical issues earlier today - thanks for the spin!
It will bring back Parker's 87R into play. I am still looking for an suitable blade in this razor... my copy has a lot of (bitey) blade feel with almost every blade I have used it with. So I'm still looking for a comfy pairing...
I am unsure if I already have paired it with the german Wilkinson Sword (one of favourite blades).
So stay tuned...

Last edited:
CC3D694B-3C5B-46EB-8CE8-E2F8E8DA79F1.jpeg

This is 1242. Van Der Hagen Deluxe soap with my TSS Klassik 2-band badger made the lather I like, the EJ 3ONE6 with its Spoiler blade was smooth and extremely efficient, and vintage Aqua Velva Ice Blue works and smells great. Just outstanding.

Happy Sunday (or Monday) hope everyone's shaves have been as smooth as our faces.

Happy shaves!

B&B had some techical issues earlier today - thanks for the spin!
It will bring back Parker's 87R into play. I am still looking for an suitable blade in this razor... my copy has a lot of (bitey) blade feel with almost every blade I have used it with. So I'm still looking for a comfy pairing...
I am unsure if I already have paired it with the german Wilkinson Sword (one of favourite blades).
So stay tuned...

20210124_112806-01.jpeg

Today's shave was one of the better shaves with the 87R so far... The Wilki did a good job. Alas, again I needed more time with this razor as I need with other razors. That's okay on the weekend, but not when I am in a hurry... I kind of had to slow down my shave. But at least, no bitey feeling (just a whole lot of blade feel, which is okay for me)...

As soon as the 87R shows up again I will pair it with a fresh BIC (regardless of the spin).

Brush: Omega 10108 Boar 27/56
Soap: Calani ~ Oriental Plum
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (2)

Enjoy your Sunday!

Last edited:
9224 - just another smooth shave for me...

20210124_210400-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Calani ~ Oriental Plum
Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (8)

Lovely shaves everyone! I enjoy the photos and the shave reports. Hope luck is on your side today.

Wishing you all very happy shaves and very happy days!

C1D0BB13-3AA0-4F4E-B74F-6CC4470E409C.jpeg

Here’s my 7852 for tonight’s shave. I have two different tubes of Gillette shaving cream. When it gets picked I choose one or the other :) Today I picked the relatively recent European Union cream. My reknotted Duke 1 handle, Gillette Heritage razor with 1970 Gillette Spoiler (3) and vintage Aqua Velva. Could not have gone better. What a great shave.

Lovely shaves everyone! I enjoy the photos and the shave reports. Hope luck is on your side today.

Wishing you all very happy shaves and very happy days!

20210125_191635-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1470
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Classic 24
Razor: Gillette Tech (pre war)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)

7852=Very nice shave, smooth and close. Dfs+ on the neck, bbs on the cheeks. The pre-war tech paired with a sharp blade is a very nice tool (and no shim is of need to get nice results).

One more spin to go @Ryanshh ... do your best! :thumbsup:

I had my 7852 shave this morning. 7852 was my brand-new Yaqi Familia Sagrada brush, the Soapy Science soap in the Lollipop Citrus scent, my Mythus shavette with a feather Proguard on its 11th shave, and my Pils for clean-up.

It was a wonderful, smooth shave, CCS++ without any irritation. If I were a normal human, I would probably sell all my DE razors and just keep the Pils. On the other hand, if I were a normal human, I probably wouldn’t have so many to begin with, and I most certainly wouldn’t be hanging out on a shave forum, allowing a random number generator to choose my shave gear, lol.

I am so sorry, I missed it earlier today. Big fail on my end.

Happy shaves!

It looks like my week has come to an end as of today and we are going to be passing the wheel? Or maybe the pill? to @Atlantic59 for the next week.

Here is the SPIN for Wednesday, JAN 27:
SOTD (027/2021)
27-01-2021

>> Shave Roulette <<

20210127_102548.jpg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Triumph
Razor: Merkur 15c Open Comb
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (7)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Triumph AS.

Today's spin offered a dramafree shave with dfs results. Since Merkur 15c is a very mild razor (due to its negative blade exposure) I sometimes add a shim in order to gain some more efficiency, but today I wasn't in the mood to do that. Dfs was all I wanted to achieve today. I did.

JAHE - still in

3980 was interesting......3 was my Rubberset R400, 9 is listed as “cream” (I use only soaps, but had one cream that I used to use for travel, and I wanted to put it into the mix), 8 was my Mythus again, and 0 was my new Vikings Blade Emporer Meiji adjustable.

Well, I also remembered, at the last minute, that I had a little sample of a beta-testing shaving cream from an artisan named Colleen, who had a place called The Gentleman’s Quarter; back in the day she made only soaps, but was attempting to branch out a little. I figured I might as well give this cream a go, since number 9 just said “cream.” Since it had no scent, I added a few drops of an essential oil mix of peppermint, lemon, and lavender.

The shave went mostly pretty well. The Viking’s Blade razor I have talked about before. It feel incredibly blade-forward to me, no matter what setting I put it on. I found that 7 was more comfortable than 4 the last time I used it. I started on 9 for this shave, but it was a bit much. Eventually I dialed it down to 1, and it finally felt like it wasn’t going to hurt me. Even at 1 it still felt blade-forward. For me this razor has generally been a disappointment.

Anyway, two passes with the Mythus and a bit of touch-up with the Vikings Blade, and I was CCS+.

Without shave roulette, there is no way I would ever have come up with this shave.

Top Bottom