What's new

Shave Roulette

Saturday shave

8 Giesen&Forsthoff Gentle Shaver
9 The Body Shop synthetic
3 Wilkinson Sword Germany
3 Four Broz Co. Tobacco Blade
Aftershave: Blue de Chanel

One of the easiest and smoothest combos you can get. Cold water face wash, three pass and Ready to roll with a complete irritation and nick free BBS.
The soap is really amazing. Made here in Mexico City by some young amazing guys. Founded 2019 or 2018 with a nice range of barber and hair products. Scent is nice barbershop, leather and tobacco. Works really great with the musk and sweetness of the aftershave. Great combo today and a good start in the weekend.
81936105-A3AC-4F2E-9755-338A6957338F.jpeg

Another shave with the Mühle R41...:oops: and another Platinum blade on Saturday.
Really looking forward for the RR Dead Sea scent. I will pair the soap with the matching AS.

8933 is a nice spin.

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Rozorock ~ Dead Sea
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Gillette Platinum
20201128_093406-01-01.jpeg

Another super close shave. The R41 is amazing. The only "drawback" with this razor is I fear there will be no significant stubble on my face on Sunday (I shaved late today, in the afternoon). I likely will skip my Sunday shave.

Last edited:
9 Parker 91r
6 Executive Shaving Company synthetic
3 Wilkinson Sword Germany
1 Williams Mug soap
Aftershave: Proraso Sensitive

Looks pretty solid. No complains here.

Though I've generated the next number for those in other time zones, my shave today is:
8 - Rolls Viscount (Shaver's choice)
9 - WSP Black Amber Vanilla ("Try Me" Bin)
3 - HC Ever-Ready 200
3 - Hazlett's 1888
PXL_20201128_164314112-01.jpeg

I guess an explanation of my "Shaver's Choice" and "'Try Me' Bin" entries may be in order.

With 30 straights in active rotation, and a variety of other razors that get occasional use, I wanted to leave a small option for me to choose something other than the razors in my betting sheet. That gives me the opportunity to use my shavette, Rolls, GEM wedge, etc., on days when "Shaver's Choice" is rolled.

The "'Try Me' Bin' is similar for soaps. With only 4 in active rotation, I occasionally have the urge to try something from the stockpile that I am working my way through. "Try Me" let's me get one shave in with a "new" soap.

So today it was the Rolls and Black Amber Vanilla even though they are not explicitly on my sheet.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm going to use the spins only for choosing the soaps over the next week. I want to become more familiar with my RR old type and use it with a Perma Sharp.

It's a good razor, I can get a close shave and zero irritation, but it is no where near as close as what I can achieve with my Tek. I'm hoping with some practice and just focusing on that razor for a few days I will get better at using it.

Just had my 9631 shave....great numbers!

Rubberset 400 brush, Mystic Waters Rosalimone soap, my brand new Kai Kasho shavette loaded up with a fresh Feather ProGuard, and clean-up with the Mamba on a UFO Titan Fine L handle.

Beautiful, fragrant lather, two easy passes plus a bit of touch-up to CCS/DFS. Loved these numbers!

Though some of you are using the new number today, I'm still on 9631. For me that's:
PXL_20201129_170136589-01.jpeg

9 - Universal Lama Intera Shavette / Bluebird AC
6 - Mitchell's Wool Fat
3 - HC Ever-Ready 200
1 - Pinaud Clubman

The shave was adjusted a tad though as I needed to shave test two straights I honed yesterday. So the Taylor's Eye Witness 1000 (top) and the Grah & Plumacher Silver Ring (bottom) both made brief appearances.
PXL_20201128_235213818.jpg

E0C1D614-657E-49D5-9B43-3247AF13EAC8.jpeg

4- “Old Spice” soap
8- Simpsons Trafalgar T2 brush
6- Fatip open comb slant (Lo Storto Originale)
4- Clubman A/S

Any day I get to use the FOCS is a good day. If you like efficient razors, this is one to like.

The lather, however, was not at all likable, and this combination is never going to be used together again. Unfortunately I don’t have any real Old Spice soap. To get something with the scent I ordered this from an Etsy seller awhile back. It is apparently a vegan base, which I’ve used only once or twice before and then with a badger brush. The T2 did not do anything good with it. It made a big cloud of lather, sure, but clouds don’t feel good on my face or protect me from the Gillette Silver Blue (4) in the razor. After three passes and still with a stubbly chin I rinsed the brush, relathered with Erasmic, and did it again. Much, much better.

After all that, the Clubman brought the sting today. Smells good to me, though I obviously don’t use it much (that bottle was bought in 2010) because the LOTH isn’t a fan.

Nonetheless a hot shower and shave felt good after five hours of hanging Christmas decorations in chilly weather. Time to relax and watch Sunday night football before bed and back to work.

My 4864 shave...
PXL_20201130_151434581-01.jpeg

4 - GEM Pushbutton / GEM Persona SS PTFE
8 - Arko
6 - Maggard's Black & White
4 - TOBS Eaton College

Wouldn't have picked the Black & White for Arko. It's got a relatively tall loft and not a lot of backbone for face lathering. But, in the end, it worked out and I got a nice lather. Excellent shave overall.

That will be a second consecutive shave with the same brush and same soap (Rubberset R400 and Mystic Waters Rosalimone). The shavette is the Mythus, which I haven't used in a while, and the clean-up razor will be the Stahly (one of my absolute favorites!).

Looking forward to this shave, which will take place tonight. :thumbup1:

Excellent spin for my Monday morning routine... (in approx. 10 hours):
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Classic 24
Razor: Gillette Fat Boy
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
20201130_000316-01.jpeg

Had a lovely and flawless shave.
Does anyone of you know the Classic24? This soap smells awesome to my nose. Pineapple with a layer of leather underneath. Excellent slickness. Just nice. Hope it's number comes up again soon.

20DE72E1-D55B-4AAC-9B60-9A12D186DA73.jpeg

9686? Okay.

9- Gillette shaving cream
6- Simpsons Duke 1 brush
8- Schöne razor
6- Old Spice Swagger A/S

I have two different kinds of Gillette shaving cream. This one is 1991 vintage, just before it was discontinued in the US. Too bad, because it’s a really nice cream with lots of glide.

My Duke isn’t really a Duke anymore. I bought it for a very low price, but hated the Pure knot it came with. I also had a late-'80s Century 7090 brush with a really nice knot - it’s of Super quality, soft tips but also no backbone. I accidentally ruined its handle, so I salvaged the knot, drilled out the Simpson knot, and mounted the Century in its place but set much deeper to give it some backbone. Now it just feels like a nice, if small, Super instead of a floppy mop.

The Schöne was the first new-to-me DE I bought, and it’s still a favorite. Still feels like a great deal at the $21 I paid for it. It has a vintage-2000 Gillette Super Stainless blade (3), made by PPI and sold in the US before Gillette discontinued DE blades (much like they discontinued the cream ten years earlier....)

Old Spice Swagger is not at all like traditional Old Spice. It’s a lime-cedarwood concoction that was never offered in the US as an aftershave, just in other products like body wash and deodorant and body spray where it is still very popular. The AS was sold in the eastern hemisphere, but a few made their way to the US in discount shops. I bought this at Big Lots. I would buy more of these if I could ever find them at the same $4.50 I paid for this.

So an interesting combination that gave me a terrific shave. So much more comfortable than yesterday. The Gillette has the slightest hint of scent left; it smells like original Foamy. That faded away quickly. The Swagger is modern and unlike my vintage ASes doesn’t earn any complaints from the family. Overall big thumbs up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom