What's new

Shave ready directly from Böker?

Hi, do you guys know whether ordering directly from boker.de gets you a shave ready razor?

None of the retailers in my area specify whether the razors they sell are shave ready, which leads me to an assumption they don't do anything to them, in which case it seems reasonable to rather order directly from the source. If that's a bad idea, please let me know.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I would not count on any factory razor being shave ready. You might be able to shave with it, but like every other edged tool from a factory, the edge will not be that good. All edged tools from the factory need a proper sharpening, and razors are no different. A Ralf Aust would be a better bet if ‘shave ready’ is a requirement, he runs a small shop and hones each razor. And the blanks are the same as what Boker uses.

Hi, do you guys know whether ordering directly from boker.de gets you a shave ready razor?

None of the retailers in my area specify whether the razors they sell are shave ready, which leads me to an assumption they don't do anything to them, in which case it seems reasonable to rather order directly from the source. If that's a bad idea, please let me know.
I have honed two factory Boker razors quite recently. I just honed a new one today.
This razor would not get anywhere near my face with a factory edge.
However, the razor was rehoned with little effort.
The geometry and grind is good.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@nindzatrtl, welcome to B&B. If you are after a truly shave-ready SR, then buying directly from the manufacturer is generally not recommended. As you have found, even most retailers do not hone a SR to shave-ready before selling it. Honing a new SR to shave-ready will often cost you about US$25 to US$50 plus shipping.

If you really want a shave-ready SR, it is better to find one in the BST forum:
There are a few listed now and some will ship outside of their country of residence.

You currently do not have enough post on B&B to send PMs but you can reply to a suitable BST listing with a post in the thread. Then the member selling should contact you.

Some honemeisters and vendors of shave-ready SRs can be found here:

Last edited:

If you put in a request on this platform there are probably someone who can hone the razor for you. You can also get some guidance on how to do it your self. Balsa and lapping film is probably a simple, good and cheap option to get you started.
Anyone can do this, and a new boker is quite simple to hone.

Recently I received a new "Edo" razor by Dovo so I took a few passes on my finishing stone and then checked it under the microscope to see what had to be done before I used it. It was already perfect !! So, shave ready from the factory is not normal but it can happen.
By the way this razor may not be for everyone but I love it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The only shave-ready new SR from the factory that I have ever received was a Titan. That was one out of over 30 I purchased directly from them. Yes, it is possible but only if their honer has an off day.

I recently bought a new, stainless, Böker classic for a travel kit I’m working on. It came sealed from the factory with lots of fancy inspection stamps and seals that claimed it had been inspected and signed off as shave ready. Not to my standard. Not by a long shot. It didn’t even pass a HHT. That said, it didn’t take much to get it going.

Where are you located? If in the states Griffith shave goods sell their razors shave ready. If in Germany I can hone it up for free 1 time with an edge of your choice.

Top Bottom