What's new

shave quality straight versus shavettes

I've been shaving with a shavette for over a year now. I originally got a WD sight unseen straight from another member here on B/S/T. I shaved with it a few times but it tugged a lot and was very uncomfortable. I wasn't too sure if it was honed or not. That's when I bought a shavette. Smooth, sharp shaves there. I recently bought a new straight and I am having the same problems with tugging, comfort and effort required to cut hair. It was honed so I don't think that is the problem. Since I don't have any good experience with real straights my question is: How does a straight shave compare to a shavette shave? Is their a difference in sharpness or keenness? Does it feel different when they cut hair? Is their more effort required? Is there a difference in technique that I'm not aware of? I'm trying to get to the bottom of my problems with straights. Thanks for the help!

I have gone from a Weck hair shaper to a straight and have now settled back on disposable blades once again. In between that time I did get a shavette (disposable blade straight using a half DE blade). There definitely is a difference is technique where a shavette has a smaller blade and cutting edge and so with a straight, you would need to make sure you are cutting with more blade. This sometimes means a steeper angle and a shorter stroke. What you are describing though makes me think that the blade itself may not be properly honed. Even if it is honed by an expert, you still need to strop the razor a couple of times before and after each shave. Soap is also important as you need one with lubricants in it. Either via tallow soaps or glycerin soaps with clay in it. Just take things slow at first and find a stroke and angle that doesn't tug as much and remember how you did that. One thing that I found out from switching between disposable blades and straights is that if I haven't used a straight in a while, my first pass is always rough as I need to relearn how to do it.

To answer your title, rather than your text, the quality of your shave is really up to you. A well honed straight and a good shavette with both deliver excellent results.

I can't comment on the edges of your blades but I notice quite a difference in the edges switching back and forth between both. They both work well for me but the shavette is unforgiving in so many ways while the traditional straight is pretty mellow in comparison. The shavette needs a very light touch and needs to be very careful of the angles as not to get it to bite.

I use a shallower angle with straights than shavettes. A straight is probably not going to feel as sharp/keen as a shavette but will be more forgiving/comfortable. It could be the edge. You can mess up a good edge by improper stropping. If you are not 100% percent sure about the edge I would send it to a trusted honer. If you do, don't strop until after the first shave. That way you would know if improper stropping was at fault.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Very few guys, and practically zero "pros", will go the extra distance required to get a straight's cutting ability on par with a good quality DE blade. You nearly have to hone it yourself, after gaining much experience and going to extreme measures in chasing the ultimate edge, to match a DE blade on pure sharpness. Even then, it is difficult, and a goal not commonly achieved. So for pure science fiction sharpness, AS A GENERAL RULE, the DE blade has the straight beat.

But there are other sides to the shave quality question. Comfort. Cuts, or lack of them. Interest, and pleasure, from the shave itself. Pride in achievement in a rather esoteric skill set.

A shavette is using a very flimsy and flexible blade, sometimes poorly held and stabilized. With the right touch, this is not much of an obstacle. But if you mess up and angle too high or push too hard or whatever, You will pay for it.

To some, honing and stropping are a pleasureable diversion. To others, a PITA and a monumental waste of time.

Shave quality can be evaluated in many different ways, and so the question of which shaving method is superior is very subjective, and the ultimate YMMV question. Myself, I sometimes shave with a shavette but mostly prefer straights. YMMV.

Thanks for the responses. I guess it boils down to comfort. Does a properly honed and stropped straight shave as comfortable as a shavette (all other things being equal)? So far, this has not been my experience (very limited on the straight side of things).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
As a rule, a properly honed and stropped straight gives a much more comfortable shave than a shavette. But as almost all things pertaining to sharp things we apply to our faces, YMMV.

Comfort is a YMMV thing. Many do not like shavettes because they say they are to harsh/unforgiving. I use both the feather ACs and half DE shavettes. Straights are not usually going to be as sharp as a shavette,but can be as/more comfortable. I thought the same as you at first,but it was my technique. Edges on straights can also differ greatly by how they were finished and by who honed them.

A straight is more comfortable (to me at least), but there is a definite learning curve. There are also variables involved. You should send your straight to one of our honemeisters to evaluate your edge and re-hone if necessary. It is impossible otherwise for anyone to say if it is your technique or your edge. A shavette is more consistently sharp, as human error in honing or stropping should not be to blame. A traditional straight can be as sharp, with a good honing, but absolute sharpness is not the primary goal. You want a comfortable edge. I find that with my shavette (a dovo), I get many more small nicks and irritation. If I get any irritation with my straight, I know to go back and work on my edge (or my prep).

That said, it is all relative, and a shavette is much more comfortable than anything I ever tried before traditional straights. My order from least to most irritation are 1.) Traditional Straight (and Rolls Razor) 2.)Single edge (a close second) 3.) Double Edge Razor (still very comfortable) 4.) Cartridge razor* (uncomfortable and clogs.5.) Depilatory Cream/powder*

*I get awful ingrowns with a cartridge and chemical burns from depilatories, especially with daily use. So A DE provides me with my minimum level of comfort and satisfaction. But other people here will have different opinions. Your Mileage May Vary.

-Chad

Last edited:
I've been shaving with a shavette for over a year now. I originally got a WD sight unseen straight from another member here on B/S/T. I shaved with it a few times but it tugged a lot and was very uncomfortable. I wasn't too sure if it was honed or not. That's when I bought a shavette. Smooth, sharp shaves there. I recently bought a new straight and I am having the same problems with tugging, comfort and effort required to cut hair. It was honed so I don't think that is the problem. Since I don't have any good experience with real straights my question is: How does a straight shave compare to a shavette shave? Is their a difference in sharpness or keenness? Does it feel different when they cut hair? Is their more effort required? Is there a difference in technique that I'm not aware of? I'm trying to get to the bottom of my problems with straights. Thanks for the help!

I regularly use both a Feather Artist Club (basically, a top shelf shavette) and traditional straights. Not that one should ever be anything less than truly careful with either, but I'd say that I can be less careful with my traditional straights. The traditional straight is a bit duller and more forgiving.

Question, sir...Are you stretching your skin enough with your non shaving hand when using the straight? A flat, taut surface shaves easier and cleaner (for the most part). I can get a close shave with the shavette without skin stretching simply due to the incredible sharpness of the disposable blade. If I don't stretch my skin when using the traditional straight, it tugs and doesn't shave close enough.

I have to agree with Slash McCoy, Straights are more forgiving. I have found when you put a shavette (I have a Dovo due to the longer blade) that when you put the shavette to your face, You had better be ready to run with it. I have nicked/cut my face with my shavette much more than a straight.
With a shavette my angle if much more shallow in comparison to my straights. On some part of my face, I come close to a 45 degree angle. I would completely dig a deep cut had I did that with a shavette. The two techniques are completely different. I feel much more comfortable with my straights. It's been over a year since I have used my Dovo. And, now, It's up for sale.

Question, sir...Are you stretching your skin enough with your non shaving hand when using the straight? A flat, taut surface shaves easier and cleaner (for the most part). I can get a close shave with the shavette without skin stretching simply due to the incredible sharpness of the disposable blade. If I don't stretch my skin when using the traditional straight, it tugs and doesn't shave close enough.
Yes, I'm stretching my skin the same with each razor.

Sorry a shavette can be perfect in the right hands

Necro2.jpg

They do quite well in the left hands as well.:001_cool:
The last month i have given my Sedef shavette exclusive use,and yesterday i went back to my Thiers Issard 6/8
straight. the resulting shave gave my face an almost buttery smoothness,which the shavette couldnt quite achieve.
As i like the sharpening and stropping involved i will as usual stay with my straights

The last month i have given my Sedef shavette exclusive use,and yesterday i went back to my Thiers Issard 6/8
straight. the resulting shave gave my face an almost buttery smoothness,which the shavette couldnt quite achieve.
As i like the sharpening and stropping involved i will as usual stay with my straights
I actually went back to a shavette yesterday after only 3 months away from it and destroyed my face! The straight is absolutely more forgiving and I feel like I have a better understanding of what the blade is doing. I need to get back with the shavette for when I start traveling again.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I find the straight razor rather easy but never got the hang of a shavette. I started giving blood to the Red Cross instead running it down the sink drain.

Top Bottom