What's new

shave prep

Any time the topic of shave prep comes up, you tend to hear the same points coming up: shower, wash or exfoliate face, dab dry, hot towel, etc. Any time that I have followed this process, my shave has been mildly aggravating. I simply can't wash my face before shaving and not have at least mild irritation after the shave. My suspicion has been that I've been washing away too much of my face's natural, lubricating oils (sebum, acid mantle or whatever you want to call it).

I was reading in an old barber's manual the other day, thought about what I had read, and then went back and read it again. The following is an excerpt from the manual:
full

If you read everything past the underlined part, you might begin to think that washing or exfoliating before the shave may not be a good thing. I did not see anywhere in the manual (sure it could be there, but I didn't see it) where it said to wash the customer's face before a shave. Arguably, you could claim that the hot-towel, lather, hot-towel procedure is similar to washing the face, but I'm not sure I would wholeheartedly agree with that.

From what I can tell, it is desirable to have natural facial oils present and in a greater abundance than normal.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently did a test where I shaved for a week with a prep that included hot water and hot wash rag over the face for a few minutes. The shave and shower then followed. Results: good shaves nearly everyday. On the flip side, I have since switched and started shaving after I shower each morning. My experiences: no difference in the quality of shave. However, I personally like to shower first (including face wash), waking up a little bit, and then enjoy the shave after cleaning the rest of my body. I did this after Joel (I believe) and a few others commented that they preferred to start their day with the shave followed by the shower. My best explaination is that it is all on an individual basis, much like everything else...you get better results with the pre-shower shave while I get similar shaves but prefer to shower first.

First, I find the fact that you were reading old barber manuals in your spare time amusing. :mellow:

I am not sure whether the natural oils on your face provide that much lubrication over and above the shave cream and water. Honestly, I have never done the experiment. I have always shaved after a shower, which includes hot towels on the face. I wash my face since there are areas that are not shaved (forehead, nose, etc.), and it is too much to remember to not wash my cheeks and neck. I also think that your pores should be cleaned out a bit by the washing process, since they are not really affected by the shave, which is a surface-treatment.

Bottom line is do what works for you. I am sure if we took a selection of us and did the experiment with and without washing, we would get a variety of answers. I would also (gasp!) take the words of an old shaving manual with a grain of salt with respect to biology.

Scotto said:
First, I find the fact that you were reading old barber manuals in your spare time amusing. :mellow:

I am not sure whether the natural oils on your face provide that much lubrication over and above the shave cream and water. Honestly, I have never done the experiment. I have always shaved after a shower, which includes hot towels on the face. I wash my face since there are areas that are not shaved (forehead, nose, etc.), and it is too much to remember to not wash my cheeks and neck. I also think that your pores should be cleaned out a bit by the washing process, since they are not really affected by the shave, which is a surface-treatment.

Bottom line is do what works for you. I am sure if we took a selection of us and did the experiment with and without washing, we would get a variety of answers. I would also (gasp!) take the words of an old shaving manual with a grain of salt with respect to biology.

Doesn't everyone?

Randy

If you own a polished razor, take a look at the head of the razor when you're done shaving. You'll probably see a film buildup. I'm guessin' its from the natural facial oil. I usually start my prep with a facial wash using KMF Olive Oil soap.

Scotto said:

LOL, couldn't agree more with the first comment, Kyle my good friend, you really need to get a life! :tongue: (kidding)

On the Biology point, I will offer my view (as a member with a Biology degree) that the manual is actually correct. Washing the face with any kind of soap or cleanser will remove the natural oil from the face. This would lead to the following point that there is therefore less natural lubrication for the razor. However, the fact that we're all using high quality (well most of us anyway) soaps to prep our mugs for the blade is a counter measure to the soap. The very purpose of said soap is to provide the lubrication necessary for the razor to glide over the skin.

Whether not washing the face and therefore leaving the natural oils on the face assists this process is debatable. That said, the act of applying a hot towel to ones face will certainly do the following:

1. Open the pores and hair follicles, meaning stubble can move better in response to brushing on cream (which also helps make the stubble stand up in readiness for that gleaming steel blade).

2. Softens the stubble, again this assists with said stubble being shorn asunder by the mighty blade.

3. Softens the skin. The heat / steam from a hot towel will cause the top layer of epidermis to absorb a certain amount of water making the skin more pliable and stretchy. It will also help to "lift" the dead skin cells which means you get an even better ex-foliating action when scrubbing your mug with badger hair and soap.

4. Stimulates the sebaceous glands in the face to produce oil. This is simple cause and effect. Does your face get sweaty and oily after a good workout? Yes, well this is the same deal without you having to run a few miles to get the sweat up. The application of heat to the face undoubtedly increases blood flow to the face as the blood vessels dilate and is also likely to stimulate oil secretion by sebaceous glands. As to whether this assists the shave - I wouldn't want to say.

This is, of course, my humble opinion but from a biological point of view (and in simple terms), it would make sense.

finally, let me leave you with this thought: There's a reason barbers/shavers for more years than we can count have been using the hot towels on face before shaving routine. Perhaps there is something to be said for the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!". :biggrin:

Of course.........YMMV! (had to get that in, seems to be the ultimate disclaimer around these parts) :lol:

Andy,
Once again, with laser-like insight, you have cut to the crux of the issue. I am sure if you said to wash gently, followed by steaming, someone somewhere would probably say that he had girly-boy sebacious glands that just couldn't get out enough sebum to make up for the loss while removing dead skin and bacteria with a washcloth and facial soap. Oh well, that's what makes horseracing.:lol:

guenron said:
Andy,
Once again, with laser-like insight, you have cut to the crux of the issue. I am sure if you said to wash gently, followed by steaming, someone somewhere would probably say that he had girly-boy sebacious glands that just couldn't get out enough sebum to make up for the loss while removing dead skin and bacteria with a washcloth and facial soap. Oh well, that's what makes horseracing.:lol:
Out with it, Ron. If you're insecure about the manliness of your sebaceous glands, just admit it. No one here will hold it against you.:lol:

Kyle said:
Out with it, Ron. If you're insecure about the manliness of your sebaceous glands, just admit it. No one here will hold it against you.:lol:
One word of warning, NEAR MY SEBACEOUS GLANDS AT YOUR OWN RISK! :lol:

Interesting. I soften my beard by letting the water flow over my face while I brush my teeth in the shower... This probably strips so much oil off my face that the beard softening effect may be canceled by the oil stripping. Maybe I should change my routine.

I believe the topic was "shave prep". Considering that the path this thread has taken stinks :001_rolle , can we get back on topic?

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
I believe the topic was "shave prep". Considering that the path this thread has taken stinks :001_rolle , can we get back on topic?

Randy

Quite right Randy, quite right, glad to see someone is keeping us rowdy members in our place!:tongue:

Actually, I can follow up to the actual content of the thread with my observations from this mornings shave vs yesterdays shave.

The only difference: This morning I washed my face with soap before my usual hot towel on face routine. I currently have a nasty sty on my right eye which I put some ointment on last night and I wanted to get this off before shaving today. (Seriously though, I hate having a sty, it makes me look quite deranged and scary, as well as being hellishly uncomfortable:cursing: )

Usually I don't wash my face with soap in the morning, I use the hot flannel and hot water soak on the face. I figure that the whole shaving process gets my face pretty clean anyhow.

My observations: Yesterdays shave was far superior to todays. Yesterday the razor just glided effortlessly over my face and left me very smooth and no irritation at all. Today the razor just seemed to feel rougher and I got a couple of tiny weepers. The blade was new yesterday so only had one shave on it today, Swedish Gillette in a Merkur Long Handle Classic in case you're interested.

I guess it possibly could have been cream choice, yesterday was proraso, today was Taylors Avocado - but both are well known for having excellent moisturizing lather and my lathering technique is now pretty darn good (if I don't say so myself:biggrin: ).

So, there you have the results of my highly unscientific observations. Could be something, could be nothing. Hopefully I'll be able to go back to my usual routine tomorrow and see what happens.

woodbane said:
Quite right Randy, quite right, glad to see someone is keeping us rowdy members in our place!:tongue:

Actually, I can follow up to the actual content of the thread with my observations from this mornings shave vs yesterdays shave.

The only difference: This morning I washed my face with soap before my usual hot towel on face routine. I currently have a nasty sty on my right eye which I put some ointment on last night and I wanted to get this off before shaving today. (Seriously though, I hate having a sty, it makes me look quite deranged and scary, as well as being hellishly uncomfortable:cursing: )

Usually I don't wash my face with soap in the morning, I use the hot flannel and hot water soak on the face. I figure that the whole shaving process gets my face pretty clean anyhow.

My observations: Yesterdays shave was far superior to todays. Yesterday the razor just glided effortlessly over my face and left me very smooth and no irritation at all. Today the razor just seemed to feel rougher and I got a couple of tiny weepers. The blade was new yesterday so only had one shave on it today, Swedish Gillette in a Merkur Long Handle Classic in case you're interested.

I guess it possibly could have been cream choice, yesterday was proraso, today was Taylors Avocado - but both are well known for having excellent moisturizing lather and my lathering technique is now pretty darn good (if I don't say so myself:biggrin: ).

So, there you have the results of my highly unscientific observations. Could be something, could be nothing. Hopefully I'll be able to go back to my usual routine tomorrow and see what happens.
Obviously the sty ointment!:wink:
How hot is your flannel when hydrating?

About as hot as I can have the water so I can actually lift the flannel out and wring it slightly without scalding the skin off my hands. I try and get it on my mug ASAP because the flannel cools off very quickly once out of the water and wrung slightly.

Ya, bloody sty ointment!:biggrin:

Hmmm.. I found myself to be cooking on occassion.. Came out nice and pink.. While hydrating the whiskers for sure, my cheeks suffered for the (apparent) first degree burns.

guenron said:
Hmmm.. I found myself to be cooking on occassion.. Came out nice and pink.. While hydrating the whiskers for sure, my cheeks suffered for the (apparent) first degree burns.

'Tis a fine line to be sure between pleasure and pain sir!:biggrin:

Top Bottom