What's new

Shave Pak? Help me date this 3-piece Gillette.

So I ordered this Shave Pak at what I believe was a good deal considering the condition and that it all looks original.

I’m curious if anyone else here’s is familiar with the Shave Pak line of products?

The first Shave Pak I seen I was a bit skeptical… but then I started seeing more of them when I was digging. I also have a card that shows the unlimited soap refills and it has David Grimes M.F.G on it. So maybe it’s save to assume they made the kit and Gillette supplied the razor, soap and brush tins… I’m not sure.

If anyone has any information on this I’d love to hear it. Also any help dating this would be great. Because it’s the 3-piece closed comb travel tech I’m guessing around the 50’s… I know there’s more educated individuals on here than I. Let me know what you guys think.

Overall I’m very happy with the purchase… I paid 35$ for the entire kit.

Attachments

• F23F5E68-52A3-4A8F-BCF8-331E00D34A10.jpeg
    F23F5E68-52A3-4A8F-BCF8-331E00D34A10.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • C7BA4405-E94C-45CD-BFB9-B8B94E385F58.jpeg
    C7BA4405-E94C-45CD-BFB9-B8B94E385F58.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • D42F16CC-D7DB-4CC1-AFD4-5BD70A80DCEF.jpeg
    D42F16CC-D7DB-4CC1-AFD4-5BD70A80DCEF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 95C7E555-14C0-413C-900D-CEB75B811AE1.jpeg
    95C7E555-14C0-413C-900D-CEB75B811AE1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 0E6EFED9-FED2-416C-B1D1-539CB72BB7C3.jpeg
    0E6EFED9-FED2-416C-B1D1-539CB72BB7C3.jpeg
    960.8 KB · Views: 16
The Gillette looks like a Travel Tech. Have you looked for a letter and number on the bottom plate of the razor? If there's something like an H and 2, that will give you the date of the razor and that would likely help you date the rest of the kit. Looks like there are some styptic matches as well..

The Gillette looks like a Travel Tech. Have you looked for a letter and number on the bottom plate of the razor? If there's something like an H and 2, that will give you the date of the razor and that would likely help you date the rest of the kit. Looks like there are some styptic matches as well..

The bottom of it just says PAT OFF. I first looked there because as you said it’ll usually have the letter and number date code…but it isn’t there.

I was looking on the bottom of the plate, but the top of the bottom plate actually says “Pat Nos On Package.” But I’ve looked the whole package over and the only thing I see is
20-14-K on the little front plate of the leather case?

And yes you’re correct about the Styptic Matches.

And yes you’re correct about the Styptic Matches.
So no date code puts the little Tech from the 40's until the early 50's. You can go to sites like razoremporium.com and look up Gillette date codes. The little numbers on that piece makes me think it might have to do with 14k gold filled. I can't recall the nomenclature for that stuff. My guess is your kit is post WWII to maybe the early 50's. I have a little Travel Tech Kit that Gillette sold. I always loved travel kits as exotic journey stuff but, in fact, they're mostly a PITA to actually use vs. a proper Dopp kit or similar with full size gear.

Yours looks NOS so pretty damn cool. The card with the soap refills is your best clue to learn more about the ShavePak and its history.

Last edited:
So no date code puts the little Tech from the 40's until the early 50's. You can go to sites like razoremporium.com and look up Gillette date codes. The little numbers on that piece makes me think it might have to do with 14k gold filled. I can't recall the nomenclature for that stuff. My guess is your kit is post WWII to maybe the early 50's. I have a little Travel Tech Kit that Gillette sold. I always loved travel kits as exotic journey stuff but, in fact, they're mostly a PITA to actually use vs. a proper Dopp kit or similar with full size gear.

Oh it’s absolutely just a add to the collection and I could see it being an absolute pain to use. I was looking at that tiny little brush and soap end… I thought… boy… that’d be a pain. Also with the handle being so short and having that full size plate up top it almost feels precarious in the hands in a way. I mainly purchased it as a cool piece to add to the collection. if I ever use it, it’ll just be for the heck of it.

I’ll check that date chart out for sure.
I remember it being mentioned that the 40s and 50s were missing the date codes and then Gillette decided to start it back again for quality control purposes.

Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: CCS
Here's a fun thread:

Also, check ebay. Someone's got one with the instructions which you might want to take a screenshot of.

Here's a fun thread:

Also, check ebay. Someone's got one with the instructions which you might want to take a screenshot of.
Great idea. I have previously seen some others on eBay. Judging by the price someone seems to be smoking crack or either they know something I don’t.

Great idea. I have previously seen some others on eBay. Judging by the price someone seems to be smoking crack or either they know something I don’t.
I saw a listing on a beater set for, what was it, north of $350? I think you got a great deal and would expect the range for those to be in the ballpark of what you paid. However, as yours appears to be close to unused, you got a deal IMO. I just bought the little Gillette Travel Tech set from an ebayer (razor and blades in a little red leather snap case) for $14 shipped. It's NOS and even had the original blade card on the razor. However, they aren't worth much more than that IMO.

I saw a listing on a beater set for, what was it, north of $350? I think you got a great deal and would expect the range for those to be in the ballpark of what you paid. However, as yours appears to be close to unused, you got a deal IMO. I just bought the little Gillette Travel Tech set from an ebayer (razor and blades in a little red leather snap case) for $14 shipped. It's NOS and even had the original blade card on the razor. However, they aren't worth much more than that IMO.

That’s pretty sweet 14$… not bad. I’d agree with your assessment. And being as they aren’t as easy to actually use I believe that possibly effects the value as well.

I actually made an offer because it was listed at 50… I really didn’t think he’d take 35.

I was pretty happy when he accepted the offer. I didn’t feel I was getting ripped off at that point… being the condition was great.

I seen a few threads where you were talking about yours… I’ll keep reading more on here and looking at listings as well.

Reactions: CCS
Top Bottom