What's new

Shave Oil

When I use shave oil it seems to kill my lather whether it is a cream or soap. What am I doing wrong if anything? Any ideas?

How long after the pso do you shave? I find you need to let the oil absorb into the skin otherwise it creates a barrier between your skin and lather. I like to use the oil then have a cuppa before I lather up, usually 10-30 mins later

I was shaving right away. I’ll wait 20 to 30 minutes next time and see if that helps. Thanks for the info...

I prefer to use a glycerine soap to the oil. I just wipe the soap and other on top. You don’t have to wait long. Apply the soap. Create your lather, wipe soap and apply lather. Plus it has a little extra glycerine for the soap.

When I use shave oil it seems to kill my lather whether it is a cream or soap. What am I doing wrong if anything? Any ideas?
This is completely normal. The soap is busy binding the oil instead of creating lather, so any oil that comes in contact with your shaving cream/soap will kill your lather. Personally I would use that oil after the shaving to nourish the skin. It will help your skin to not dry out from the lather torture. (Yes, lather is torture for skin as it removes the protective fat that prevents the skin from drying out)

Last edited:
I only use floid shave oil as a last pass oil shave to get really close.

If you want to prep try paa cube pre shave soap or stirlings pre shave soap more slickness even better lather as a base layer

I use Kinexium shave oil and it has really helped with my skin condition. I use two drops after face washing. I rub this into my face for 30 seconds and then I grab my brush and soap/cream and build a face lather. It makes no difference at all to my lather and as I use synth brushes it doesn’t clog them at all.

Shave oil and lather are not compatible. The correct way to use shave oil is to apply it, then slash water on your face before each pass. That's what creates the slickness encountered using it.

I actually have tried both PreShave Oil and Shave Oil. I do think I am using too much of the product. These are the only oils I have tried. Clubman Pinaud Shave Oil and Wet Shave Club Dynasty Pre Shave Oil. I seem to get the same results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been using a shaving oil as a pre shave for a few months now with great success. I have tried TOBS sandalwood shaving oil, Razorock lime shaving oil and village barber shaving oil.
20210306_155538.jpg

They all work well but I find I have to do a few things to get the most out of them. This includes doing a face lather rather than a bowl lather.

1. Wash face before and wet whiskers with flannel to soften.
2. Apply 2-3 drops of oil to damp hand and rub into a damp face.
3. Rub in oil for 20-30 seconds.
4. Apply soap to face/ cream directly to face. (I like MWF which I made into a stick, also don't mind Arko)
5. Use damp brush to do face lather and add water when needed.
6. Brush then gets packed with enough soap for another pass or 2. It applies good and you can still feel a bit of oil under the lather for added glide and protection.
7. After shave fully wash your face and add any of your post shave items.

Last edited:
OK.
I was told quite early on by a barber not to use shave oil and shave cream/soap. Too much product, one or the other was his opinion.

My understanding is that shave oil is supposed to sit on the surface in place of lather whereas pre shave oil is supposed to soak in and make the skin more supple.

Accordingly, with pre shave oil, which I use occasionally, the procedure I follow is:
1. Wash face and lightly pat off excess water
2. Apply a few drops of oil onto palms and massage into face
3. Leave for around 5 minutes
4. Wipe off oil from face with towel
5. Use soap or cream as normal

I've not experienced any lathering issues with this method

Top Bottom