What's new

Shave oil.

Has anyone on here ever used a shaving oil to shave with a straight, not talking about a pre shave oil, but a shaving oil? now i have in the past tried a shaving oil with a de, but found it clogged the razor to much, and i sort of think that shaving oil will not have enough of a cushion for a straight, butttttt, this place always suprises me:001_smile

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It won't clog the straight, but it will stick to the face and not rinse off very well. I tried a while ago with razorrock shave oil. It was ok, but leave your fingers a little oily when you reapply between passes and was a little troublesome. I do use a preshave once in a while when my skin feels a little vulnerable...

I use shave secret after my WTG pass. It only takes about three drops,and rinses off well so my fingers aren't slippery. It really helps with my XTG and ATG passes a lot. I get it at Walmart.

I use Shave Secret, but more as a conditioner before lathering up the first time. I don't know that I'd trust it on its own.

It can make things slippery and a bit dangerous but I have used it. I would not recommend it.

Al raz.

Has anyone on here ever used a shaving oil to shave with a straight, not talking about a pre shave oil, but a shaving oil? now i have in the past tried a shaving oil with a de, but found it clogged the razor to much, and i sort of think that shaving oil will not have enough of a cushion for a straight, butttttt, this place always suprises me:001_smile

I used either Somersets Shaving Oil or Kinexium Shave oil for my Slant DE shaving. I use St8's and decided to try both oils rather than my regular MWF. I noticed is that on a really sharp St8 oils create a dangerous suction that tends to pull the St8 into the skin so I was much more prone to nicks and cuts and irritation. I think it's because on a DE you have something that stops the blade from digging in to a certain point and St8's don't. Regular soaps and creams allowed my St8 to float on my skin even when using a preshave oil with my MWF and I get a closer shave with soaps and creams. I think oils work better as a preshave with a soap or cream with St8's.

I have found that a shave oil by itself gives me the best shave. My shave oil of choice is KOS Kinexium Menthol Shave Serum. Shower, apply, shave. This has beat, quality soaps and creams (Al Raz's Bomb, Em's, etc). Yes, there is buildup on the razor (Merkur open comb), but so what; the quality of the shave makes it worth it.

Caveat: Using a shave oil makes one really concentrate on technique.

I use jojoba oil, I don't know if this differs from commercial shave oil. It has become part of my regular shave when my skin is feeling dry, but it is not essential to my routine. After showering, I rub two or three drops into my beard and let it soak in while I put on deodorant, comb my hair, etc. Then I let the lather sink in on top of it for a minute while I strop. The shave isn't really closer or more comfortable per se (although it does feel different which takes getting used to); the reason I continue to use it is that my face is better conditioned when the shave is over and done with (but not oily feeling--the soap takes care of that). I tend to dry out, especially this time of year, and it's just one more weapon in the arsenal.

R

Rsq

I just got the pacific shaving co's shave oil to use as a preshave from the QEDUsa site. I cant say if it works or not, it just came in the mail today, but it smells nice, strongly bergamot. I'm not sure I'd want to shave without a soap or cream. Effectiveness aside, it sort of defeats the nature of the wetshave.

I have found that a shave oil by itself gives me the best shave. My shave oil of choice is KOS Kinexium Menthol Shave Serum. Shower, apply, shave. This has beat, quality soaps and creams (Al Raz's Bomb, Em's, etc). Yes, there is buildup on the razor (Merkur open comb), but so what; the quality of the shave makes it worth it.

Caveat: Using a shave oil makes one really concentrate on technique.

But the thread is more about how shave oil works with a St8, I always used oil for a DE but the results sucked with any oil and a St8, to me St8's need lather:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom