What's new

Shave Oil vs. Beard Softener

I have a semi-newbie question I don't think has been directly answered here. I shave using a brush, bowl (have a scuttle on its way), Proraso shave cream, + either beard softener (Cremo Beard + Scruff Softener) or shave oil (Mountaineer). Right now, I'm using the beard softener, since I felt that I needed to wash off the beard oil after I shaved, or else have the oil remaining on my skin after. But... I wonder how much skin irritation I've been having of late is due to the ****e weather, a more aggressive razor, or not using shave oil.

Executive summary: anyone else do a head-to-head comparison of beard oil + beard softener?

Thx,
-Z

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a semi-newbie question I don't think has been directly answered here. I shave using a brush, bowl (have a scuttle on its way), Proraso shave cream, + either beard softener (Cremo Beard + Scruff Softener) or shave oil (Mountaineer). Right now, I'm using the beard softener, since I felt that I needed to wash off the beard oil after I shaved, or else have the oil remaining on my skin after. But... I wonder how much skin irritation I've been having of late is due to the ****e weather, a more aggressive razor, or not using shave oil.

Executive summary: anyone else do a head-to-head comparison of beard oil + beard softener?

Thx,
-Z

My understanding is beard oil is supposed to be applied as a dressing to beards. (It's not for whiskers fixing to be shaved.)

There are various shaving oils which can be used in place of shaving soap. I've tried some of them and found this useless for me relative to my preshave routine.

Since I recently wrote up my preshave routine, I'll just give you a link to it. Here's the link (click here). Whether my routine works for others is beyond my knowledge but it might work for you.

In any case, everyone's interested in helping you. Look around and find places to ask questions or read advice which may be right for you. Etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom