What's new

Shave Oil - Initial Impressions

I've been wet shaving for 5 - 6 years (don't remember exactly) and have never really used much in the way of pre-shave products. Early on, I tried Noxema, but never really noticed a difference.
Recently, Village Barber shave oil was recommended as a product that "somehow" helped mow down the more stubborn whiskers.
I bought a bottle, and used it today. With a shaving cream (Mr. Taylor), Razor (BBS1) and Blade (GSB) that I've used may times, I found that using the oil as a pre-shave gave me the BEST shave I've had.
After just one shave, this will be part of my den and routine for the forseeable future.

i gave american crew pre-shave oil a try. arrived in the mail last week and have been using it ever since. it does make a difference. enough of a difference to make it part of my shaving routine.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Wait until you try oil as a substitute for cream or soap!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've been wet shaving for 5 - 6 years (don't remember exactly) and have never really used much in the way of pre-shave products. Early on, I tried Noxema, but never really noticed a difference.
Recently, Village Barber shave oil was recommended as a product that "somehow" helped mow down the more stubborn whiskers.
I bought a bottle, and used it today. With a shaving cream (Mr. Taylor), Razor (BBS1) and Blade (GSB) that I've used may times, I found that using the oil as a pre-shave gave me the BEST shave I've had.
After just one shave, this will be part of my den and routine for the forseeable future.

Congratulations! Nice to find a winning product.

I’ve used Osma pre shave oil and found it excellent.
I’ll try the Village Barber pre shave oil and after shave balm soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had a hit and miss experience with shave oils, I have found sometimes that the face lather breaks down with some of my soaps. Not sure if it's 'tallow vs non-tallow' that is the problem, checking the ingredients would narrow it down if I was to check. When the lather stays in tack I do feel the oils do give me a slight edge (pun intended)

i watched a tutorial on you tube of an executive at executive shaving, and he worked oil into his skin, but then wiped away the oil from his face with the web of his hand. just maybe you are missing this step and putting shave lather on top of a too oily face surface

My dad sent me some Oscar's oil (he uses electrics). I left it on a shelf for a long time but recently pulled it out and started using it.

I wet the face, then put 4 drops of the oil on my fingers, wipe my hands together, and apply the oil all over my face and neck. Then I rinse immediately with lukewarm water.

Then I bowl lather soap and apply the lather to my face with the brush. I don't know if it really helps much, but it certainly doesn't hurt and at least I'm not wasting the oil by leaving it on the shelf and allowing it to go rancid.

After the bottle is used up I'll decide if I want to keep using it or not.

Yeah, I do use pre-shave oil, either that or I use a latherless shave cream as a pre-shave (like Cremo or Barbasol). I make my own shave oil using sweet almond oil, mineral oil, and menthol. I've never had it interfere with lathering. If anything, it is an additional layer of protection and hydration.

I think many guys use too much and then it's messy. I use ONE drop of olive oil on one hand and then rub my hands together. I rub it into my face well. It works. It reduces cuts and nicks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I do use pre-shave oil, either that or I use a latherless shave cream as a pre-shave (like Cremo or Barbasol). I make my own shave oil using sweet almond oil, mineral oil, and menthol. I've never had it interfere with lathering. If anything, it is an additional layer of protection and hydration.

Agree on using Cremo as a pre-shave. Works great!

Have also used CVS brand bath oil (sesame oil) or a small amount of a good glycerin soap (Neutrogena) as a pre-shave. Also works great!

Any recommendations what oils to use?
I bought mine on Amazon, the brand is Naissance and it is priced fairly.

The mix of oils I use:
raspberry
argan
jojoba
coconut (the liquid version that is called *fractionated coconut oil*)

If you want to give the oil mix a particular scent, add some essential oils of your favourite flavour in VERY small quantity.

I just got some of their carrier and essential oils including coconut oil ready to experiment

I recon 1-2% of essential oil should do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i gave american crew pre-shave oil a try. arrived in the mail last week and have been using it ever since. it does make a difference. enough of a difference to make it part of my shaving routine.

This is my favourite too. Does the job and rinses cleanly.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I am new to this so not a lot if experience. When I first started out I was using a pre shave oil. Stopped using it after a week and did not notice any difference. Tonight I used Cremo mint shave cream as a pre shave and... WOW! Proraso red cream on top and my best shave to date.

Top Bottom