What's new

Shave Oil/Glycerin INSTEAD OF Shave Soap/Cream

I've been experimenting recently with Shave Oil INSTEAD OF (not in addition to) Shaving Soap/Cream.

The first time I tried it (using Sir Hare Shaving Oil), I was terrified that it wouldn't work and that I'd cut myself up. But it worked fine, just as advertised. I did find, however, that it tended to really clog up cartridges. Subsequent experimentation with DE Safety Razors suggests that is less of a problem.

The first time I tried using Pacific Shaving Natural Shaving Oil by itself, I felt it was one of the best shaves of my life.

I've also been experimenting with using generic Glycerin purchased at a local grocery store ($6.69 for 6 oz). I found the glycerin thicker than either of the above shave oils. But it worked just as well. Because of its thickness, it may be somewhat more susceptible to clogging. I was thinking that the clogging would be less of a problem with an open-comb DE razor. I've tried it with the only OC razor I own--a Double Open Comb Razor from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. It worked fine. I'm going to try at least one other super-mild OC razor as well (Karve with AA plate).

So all of the above is about using oil/glycerin by itself--INSTEAD of shaving soap/cream. I've also tried using the same products as a pre-shave (i.e., in addition to conventional shave soap/cream). It isn't clear to me that this is better than using shave soap/cream by itself. I **THINK** that the soap would tend to "wash away" some (all?) of the oil/glycerin, thus reducing its ability to have ANY beneficial effect.

Incidentally, I also experimented with using just plain olive oil. I found that it was too thin--just an oily mess to deal with.

I've heard of folks making their own oil blends. That is likely to be quite inexpensive for those who desire to do so. Just using one of the shaving oils (e.g., Sire Hare or Pacific Shaving) by itself is quite inexpensive. But for somebody looking to simplify their shave routine--and make it less costly, I recommend trying out Glycerin by itself (i.e., no shave soap/cream on top of it).

Shaving oil/glycerin is much, much "cleaner" to use at the sink--no messy soap flying around.

What are your thoughts about using Shaving Oil or Gylcerin by themselves? Has anybody else noticed definite benefits to using them as pre-shaves?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It was probably about 2 or 3 decades ago in my cart days that I tried shaving with a proprietary shaving oil only. It didn't work for me then so I returned to using brush and shaving soap with my cart.

Things may have changed over the decades but I am happy now SR shaving with real brushed lather.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been experimenting recently with Shave Oil INSTEAD OF (not in addition to) Shaving Soap/Cream.

The first time I tried it (using Sir Hare Shaving Oil), I was terrified that it wouldn't work and that I'd cut myself up. But it worked fine, just as advertised. I did find, however, that it tended to really clog up cartridges. Subsequent experimentation with DE Safety Razors suggests that is less of a problem.

The first time I tried using Pacific Shaving Natural Shaving Oil by itself, I felt it was one of the best shaves of my life.

I've also been experimenting with using generic Glycerin purchased at a local grocery store ($6.69 for 6 oz). I found the glycerin thicker than either of the above shave oils. But it worked just as well. Because of its thickness, it may be somewhat more susceptible to clogging. I was thinking that the clogging would be less of a problem with an open-comb DE razor. I've tried it with the only OC razor I own--a Double Open Comb Razor from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. It worked fine. I'm going to try at least one other super-mild OC razor as well (Karve with AA plate).

So all of the above is about using oil/glycerin by itself--INSTEAD of shaving soap/cream. I've also tried using the same products as a pre-shave (i.e., in addition to conventional shave soap/cream). It isn't clear to me that this is better than using shave soap/cream by itself. I **THINK** that the soap would tend to "wash away" some (all?) of the oil/glycerin, thus reducing its ability to have ANY beneficial effect.

Incidentally, I also experimented with using just plain olive oil. I found that it was too thin--just an oily mess to deal with.

I've heard of folks making their own oil blends. That is likely to be quite inexpensive for those who desire to do so. Just using one of the shaving oils (e.g., Sire Hare or Pacific Shaving) by itself is quite inexpensive. But for somebody looking to simplify their shave routine--and make it less costly, I recommend trying out Glycerin by itself (i.e., no shave soap/cream on top of it).

Shaving oil/glycerin is much, much "cleaner" to use at the sink--no messy soap flying around.

What are your thoughts about using Shaving Oil or Gylcerin by themselves? Has anybody else noticed definite benefits to using them as pre-shaves?
I looked online for DIY pre-shave oils and made one myself. Because it isn't really water soluble, it just clogged up my razor, similar to your experience. I had given up on pre-shave entirely until APBinNCA recommended I try Baume.be pre-shave. It works like a dream.

Now to your other question: because of my first experiences, I wouldn't try to shave with just a DIY oil. I have lots of good quality glycerin in my DIY pre-shave.... it's going to be a clogged up mess, in my opinion.

The idea when using shaving oil is you still shave primarily with water. You only need a few drops of oil. The slickness is provided by water mixed with oil, not the oil alone. Believe it or not, this goes all the way back to ancient times.

Since you are only using a tiny bit of oil, you don't have to worry about clogging up your razor.

Find the instructions for Shave Secret oil. It is all explained there.

I have shaved with Shave Secret oil alone. It did work for me (about 5 drops). Rub in on wet face, then shave. The oil provides good slickness but does collect on the blade. When I did this I had to wipe the blade, though (using a TTO makes this a lot easier).

The idea when using shaving oil is you still shave primarily with water. You only need a few drops of oil. The slickness is provided by water mixed with oil, not the oil alone. Believe it or not, this goes all the way back to ancient times.

Since you are only using a tiny bit of oil, you don't have to worry about clogging up your razor.

Find the instructions for Shave Secret oil. It is all explained there.

Exactly. Keeping the skin wet with water is the key to success. And be sure to massage the oil into the beard thoroughly before applying water. Give this as much attention as you would applying lather with a brush. I always wash my face with soap and water before and after shaving with oil, and my preference is to apply witch hazel after any shave.

I'll share the recipe I use for shave oil. Just like anything else shave-related, YMMV.

4 tablespoons jojoba oil
4 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
4 tablespoons castor oil
4 tablespoons grapeseed oil

I have shaved with just oil probably hundreds of times; it's a great time saver. Although now that I'm retired I rather enjoy taking 30 minutes to shave.

I've found using on its own and as a preshave to be very good for me. I agree with @NorthernSoul about how to use it, many imo use it wrong and then permanently write it off. The only real issue with using oil on its own, is that some of the stubble will stick to the razor or blade. After the shave, I always have to either use an old toothbrush to scrub it out or wipe it away with a towel. Performance and ease of use is fantastic though. Oils come in significantly smaller bottles and you don't really need an AS afterwards if you prefer balms. Just rinse off gently, pat dry and go. I use it when in a rush these days as I've finished out my gel and have a few various shave/pre-shave oils to burn through anyway.

When I just want a quick shave I use Dermaveen Gentle Soap Free Wash (containing glycerin) instead of shaving soap/cream. It goes on in a few seconds and it has a good consistency, not too runny and not too thick, so it stays put. It's also very slick and the slickness lingers after the pass. It's made in Australia so I don't know how available it is elsewhere. Rinsing the razor is okay although you need a few goes to wash it off your face completely after the shave. It costs about AUD $25.00 for a litre of the stuff.

When I used mach3 carts, I was using Somersets shaving oil and had very comfortable shaves.

The oil singlehandedly rid my issues of intense shaving rashes!

I tried DE more out of curiosity than anything else, and got hooked!!

More than a decade ago I experimented with shaving oils.
It was really out of necessity, as I found myself in a European capital without shaving soap or cream on a Sunday, when shops were closed. (Bless that European lifestyle. :biggrin1:)

I had some Cade shaving oil in my shaving kit and that saved the day.
That made me curious about shaving oils and I also experimented with some other oils, but contrary to the OP I found that thicker oils do not work well.
What worked quite well were thinner oils, like (Kneipp or Weleda) massage oils that are used in physiotherapy.

It was an interesting experiment, but in the end these oils were no match for shaving soaps and creams, because a soap-based lather not only lubricates, but also moistens the facial skin, makes it expand, helps erect hairs in their follicles, and simply makes for a better shave.

But still, thinner oils work quite well when in a tight spot (or if you want to shave like a Roman centurion :shifty: )…

B.

I find shave oil and/or kitchen grade olive oil and sunflower oil useful as a final pass for tidying up my hairline and sideburns for greater visibility. It leaves the face nicely moisturized

Usually if I use a pre shave oil it will still be oily when I'm lathering up, so I guess that way it's more of a mix of oil and soap. But I've never noticed any difference for me personally.

The Japanese barbers that I go to for a shave and a hair cut usually use an oil. Often,
they will prep the face with shaving cream or a lotion but when it comes to removing
whiskers, they use a light oil...and the shave is almost always fantastic.

Recently I tried a test: I shaved half my face with shave oil (it happened to be Sir Hare Head Shaving Oil) and the other half of my face stickified PAA CK-6 base (it happened to be PAA Atomic Pumpkin CK-6). Surprisingly, I found the shaving oil side seemed LESS moist at the end. Also, the shaving oil side seemed to have the most irritation.

In the past, one of the best shaves in my life (BBS and zero irritation) came from using shave oil and a not-very sharp blade (Derby Extra).

Eric

I've used Shave Secret oil in the past and I liked it a lot. Is it better than soap/creme and a brush? I don't know, but it works well for me, even with a scary sharp blade like a Feather AC.

I tried shave oil years ago and found it too greasy and hard to rinse off. Shave oil did zero for my skin, and clogged up any razor I used. Shave oil is now on my shaving "no fly" list.
I use a very high quality glycerin soap in the shower, for my face and ears. Glycerin soap is the only soap which will disolve ear wax and is fantastic for cleaning your ears. Since glycerin bar soap is in the shower... I use it as a pre-shave, when I shave in the shower with a cartridge or Schick Slim Twin...combined with Sensitive Skin Barbasol. I have used glycerin soap successfully for a complete shave, when I forget the canned goo. Glycerin soap rinses from the razor adequately. I shave in the shower...only when I am in a panic rush, and need a 5 minute shave. Typically, no more than once a month or less.

Depending on the incredients, it can help to get better results compared to shave soap. Only tried two different shave oils so far, but with complete different outcome.

As a newbie DE and SE shaver, I have been using either an oil (Shave Secret) or Proraso pre shave and didn’t know until recently that there was shaving soap. Just ordered some and will be curious to see how that works vs the the others.

Top Bottom