What's new

Shave Oil/Glycerin INSTEAD OF Shave Soap/Cream

As a newbie DE and SE shaver, I have been using either an oil (Shave Secret) or Proraso pre shave and didn’t know until recently that there was shaving soap. Just ordered some and will be curious to see how that works vs the the others.
Same here, but for me add Razorock pre-shave gel and hair conditioner to the list as pre-shaves I have used.

Post about your experiences with the pre-shave soap. I'll be interested to hear.

I use a locally purchased (Soap Opera, Madison, WI) preshave oil. 2-3 drops rubbed into an already wet face. It is more wet than oily. I keep adding water to my face as a preshave. I like the feel after the shave when I follow this procedure. I follow this up with a good, hydrated lather, usually face lathered (been experimenting with bowl lathering lately).

I've never tried to shave with a shaving oil, because I tend to overthink things. The soap molecule consist of a long molecule, on one end of the molecule, you get a huge attractive force to H2O. On the other end a huge attractive force to oils. I am oversimplifying, but I am pretty sure (if I remember my chemistry) that is how it goes.

My preshave routine can't be that much different than what I would do if I used a shave oil, ignoring the fact that they are different products. That process breakes up the water molecule into smaller and smaller microscopic dropplets, but they never actually attract the H2O. Soap on the other hand, grabs hold of the water molecule.

This is a long way of saying that the science behind using soaps makes more sense to me because of the ionic force between the soap molecule and water. Like I said, I tend to overthink things.:D

I find this thread to be interesting.

I sometimes feel (kindly) that the shaver who does all this experimenting with DIY lotions, potions, and oils in search of the perfect shave soap or cream, or substitute, might just as well use Cremo and be done with it. Cremo as a substitute for traditional shave soap or cream is decent and ok, though not quite the greatest, IME.

There is the advantage of using products already invented and developed by professionals who have scientific training and experience, and not by sincere, well-intended amateurs who have curiosities (no offense intended). The guiding principle is to resist the temptation to re-invent the wheel. The wheel has been invented, and its shape cannot be improved.

I suggest the best shave soap/creme has been invented, and nothing substantially better will be in the future. The best product for you and me is out there. One just has to search for it, find it, and use it with skill.

There is some truth that shaving technique surpasses the shave product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom