What's new

Shave Off Challenge

I just shaved with MWF again and it's a very good soap. There is something that stops it from being a great soap; I think it might be too slick and at times can cause the razor (even a heavy 39C) to skip.

Today I shaved with my favorite razor the "Sledgehammer" Merkur 39C Slant with my favorite blade the Personna (Red Pack). I also used my Becker scuttle and it was a very pleasant shave. I know I have found my favorite blade(s) and razor(s) but I will still list the ratings.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 9.5
Comfort: 10
Durability: 9.5
Enjoyment: 10
Time: 6 (didn't keep time but my average has been 23 minutes)
Pre: Proraso Pre
SS: MWF
AS: Royall Mandarin

I enjoyed the shave but I think the soap's slickness prevented a perfect 10 shave. Tomorrow I will shave with Tabac.

Last edited:
I bought a couple of Simpson Brushes, the Duke 2 in Best and the Colonel XL2 in Best. I wanted to buy the Colonel because I prefer smaller brushes and I like the handle but I read so many good things about the Simpson Duke series.

I have realized that I prefer badger brushes (over boar and synthetic because of water and heat retention) with a good backbone (as opposed to floppy) and with soft tips. The Simpson Duke and Colonel in Best meet those preferences.

In the past I felt that high priced brushes were for suckers and I will find out if that's true. I have used each brush once so far. In the future I will report on the brushes' performance. I haven't figured out the brush rating system yet. Here are the pics of the brushes out of the box.

The Feather blade is known for its sharpness, thus the premium price. It is my number three favorite blade. What I don't understand about the Feather blade is why it doesn't last longer than others if it is the sharpest blade.
The Feather requires respect, especially when using an aggressive razor.

In the past I have changed the setting on an adjustable razor with each pass and didn't note any difference in the outcome of the shave so today I tried it again with decent results.

Here are the results:

Futur setting(s): WTG@6, XTG@5, ATG@4
Comfort: 9.5
Durability: 9.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours yet but I know it'll last)
Enjoyment: 9.5
SS: Tabac
AS: Proraso balm followed with Proraso splash

Pretty good shave. A total of three small nicks; two due to carelessness.

I continued to change the settings on the Futur. I can now say that I have shaved on all settings of the razor. Unfortunately the outcome was a bloody second shave. I had several small nicks on the upper lip and neck. Reminded of the days when I used to shave with the Merkur blade.
I am not sure if the poor results were due to changing of the setting on the razor or the roughness of the Feather blade.

Here are the results:

Futur setting(s): WTG@3, XTG@2, ATG@1
Comfort: 8
Durability: 9.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours yet but I know it'll last)
Enjoyment: 8
AS: Nivea Cooling Balm

I might shave with the Feather blade tomorrow and leave the Futur at 6; that way I will have more accurate information.

Today I focused on prep and created good lather using my new scuttle and the Simpson Colonel X2L in Best. I also paid attention to proper razor angle and pressure, yet the shave was almost was as uncomfortable as yesterday. I think the slight improvement in comfort was due to the higher setting on the Futur.

Here are the results:

Futur setting(s): 6
Closeness: 9
Comfort: 8.5
Durability: 9 (it hasn't been 12 hours yet but I know it'll last)
Enjoyment: 8
AS: Floid

The Feather blade is not smooth at all, thus it will lose its third place rank to Bic.

Last edited:
1. Personna Red pack
2. Astra SP
3. Bic CP

I have tried the above blades with the following razors: Gillette Slim, Gillette Red Tip, Gillette New (Personna only), Merkur Slants (37C/G, 39C), and Merkur Futur.

Tomorrow I will be shaving with my new razor the 38C barber pole. :001_smile

This was the first time shaving with the Merkur 38C Barber Pole; it is similar to the 34C except with a heavier handle (and nicer) in the Barber Pole design. The razor looks awesome and provided a very comfortable shave. I also used TOBS Avocado for the first time and it is probably the best TOBS cream in terms of performance. TOBS creams are known for drying up quickly so I made the lather slightly watery. Shaved with cold water :thumbup: because it was too hot.

Here are the results:

Durability: 9.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last)
SC: TOBS Avocado :thumbup1:
AS: Nivea/Proraso

After three passes plus touch up I had a very good shave. I am not sure if I should shave with the 39C Slant tomorrow to better compare the aggressiveness between the two Barber Pole razors or stick with the 38C.

Last edited:
The 39C Slant is more aggressive than the 38C so today's shave was slightly closer but slightly less comfortable than the 38C. Both are excellent razors.

It was hot again so I shaved with cold water and it felt great.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 10
Time: 7 (didn't keep time but my average has been 23 minutes)
SC: TOBS Avocado
AS: Alt Innsbruck

Last edited:
Not sure why no one has been commenting, but thanks for taking the time and effort to document all your findings, its been an interesting read :)

Shaved using warm water and a hot towel. I also used the hot towel to exfoliate prior to applying Proraso Pre; I do that on most days even though I haven't mentioned it recently. I've used the same Personna blade for the last three shaves.

One thing I have noticed about shaving with cold water is that the shaves are slightly less close than shaving with warm water with everything else being constant. On the other hand shaving with cold water results in very comfortable shaves.

Today I also used Irisch Moos shave stick and the difference in performance between TOBS Avocado and Irisch Moos is very apparent. Irisch Moos (like Tabac) provides a richer more protective lather than anything else I have used.

Here are the results:

Durability: 10 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last)
SS: Irisch Moos shave stick
AS: DR Harris Sandalwood

The Merkur 38C is a great razor. It is more forgiving than the 39C, yet it shaves very close as long as the beard is properly prepared.

Last edited:
Similar prep to last shave except today I used Tabac. This was the third time shaving with the 38C and the fourth time shaving with the same Personna blade.

Here are the results:

AS: Tabac

Another great shave. I was thinking about continuing with the 38C with the same blade but my other razors are starting to feel jealous so we shall see. :001_rolle

Last edited:
Today I shaved with my Merkur 37G Slant loaded with the Personna RP (day 2). I used AOS Sandalwood shaving cream for the first time and it performed well. Very easy to lather, kind of like TOBS and the scent was very similar to TOBS Mr Taylor as well.
Tomorrow I will be shaving with the Merkur 38C.

Very nice shave. I used my Becker scuttle to build lather. :thumbup:

Here are the results:

Durability: 10 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last)
Feedback: 9 (paid attention to feedback and it's great; edited previous posts)
SS: Tabac and KMF (superlather)

Another comfortable BBS shave. I am impressed with the 38C. The best thing I like about the 38C is that it's forgiving when used with the right blade and proper prep.

Twelve hours later my face feels great and I am still clean shaven. This has been of one the best shaves ever. For future reference this is how I shaved:
Washed face with warm water and exfoliated as I waited for the scuttle in the microwave. Hot towel. Built super lather in the scuttle using Tabac and KMF. Applied Proraso Pre. Lathered faced. 3 passes plus touch up on the neck and jawline. Rinsed face with cold water. Applied moisturizer and DR Harris AS. I think the difference was the Tabac/KMF super lather. I am a bit taken back how great my face feels in this dry, cold weather. This is the fifth shave using the same Personna blade; usually by the third shave the blade begins to tug.

I will be shaving with the 38C tomorrow. :001_smile

Last edited:
The goal was to attain yesterday's results. I kept everything constant as yesterday. This was the sixth shave using the same blade.

Here are the results:

Very close shave, almost as close as yesterday's. I am not sure if the decrease in closeness was due to blade degradation or my technique. Nonetheless I am very happy with the results.

I am surprised at how comfortable today's shave was. I didn't feel the blade tug or pull. This is the most comfortable sixth shave using the same blade.

I will shave with the 38C and will continue to keep everything constant. After this particular blade wears out, I will try to keep everything constant and try more aggressive razors.

Last edited:
great thread...

I would like to hear your thoughts on the brushes every now and then

Thanks.

So far I am surprised at how much the high end brushes differ from my four other brushes I have/had.

Both brushes have excellent backbone and very soft tips but different "personalities". That's the big difference between other brushes and high end brushes such as Simpson. I never thought that I'd ever pay more than $50 for a brush or own more than one brush.

Simpson Colonel X2L in Best: love the handle because it is great for bowl/scuttle lathering. I like small brushes because I prefer to massage the lather onto my face. For me big brushes provide less control and the lather ends in the nostrils and ears. The Colonel has more backbone than the Duke 2, has softer tips, is more dense but has a smaller knot. It is also excellent for face lathering. My current favorite.

Simpson Duke 2 in Best: This brush is known to be great for face lathering but I have used it for bowl/scuttle lathering as well; the handle is not as practical as the Colonel's for bowl/scuttle lathering but for me that's no big deal. The Duke 2 is bigger but with a shorter handle.

The weight and ergonomics of a brush handle are very important and will affect the performance and enjoyment of the shave. I didn't know that when I bought my first couple of brushes. For me the ideal brush handle would be light and would have an hour glass shape. Both Simpson brushes have great handles.

I really like both brushes; my plan was to try both brushes and sell the one I liked least but both brushes are different enough that I will keep both.

Here is an excellent link http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=173572

Last edited:
The blade is showing its age. I could feel the blade tug and pull a bit.
The ratings are for the first three passes.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 9
Durability: 9 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last)
Pre: FORGOT TO USE IT :glare:

After three passes I had a very nice DFS; I wanted a BBS so I went for another ATG pass instead of the normal touch up. I nicked myself on the upper lip and neck (no big deal) on the fourth pass.

I think seven comfortable, close shaves with a single blade is a personal best.

Shaved with my Merkur 37G Slant and Personna RP day 3. Hopefully tomorrow I'll receive my new Merkur 12C open comb. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom