What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

Octuple Fixed Four Schick Shaving Show

Part 4: Type I Hydro-magic

View attachment 1619444

The razor used for Part 4 will be my Type I black handled Hydro-magic, short lever with no writing on it, circa 1954-'58. It started with a Schick blade on its sixth use. This is my favorite injector razor. Why? It is so smooth and efficient. Brush is a Klenzo B1126 handle with the outstanding Maggard Razors 20mm Super High Density 2-band badger knot.

And today a new member of the Suds Squad was welcomed!

View attachment 1619445

This morning the Ethos Tibu Sabuni arrived and I actually went down the the mailbox so I could shave with it! It worked pretty darn good. I scooped out close to Frank's recommended amount (1/2 tsp) and loaded in a bowl while carefully wetting the brush. I forgot that he'd written that it can take a bit of water and you need to do it over time, but as I don't read before doing things, I discovered it for myself!

As I sit here writing this, my face feels great, better than usual! But one mustn't be too hasty (see Treebeard post above). It could be the whole routine or it may be that Frank has made something magical! (Given my affinity for Tolkien, let's go with magical!) I am looking forward to using this soap and combo for the next 4 shaves, at which point it will be onto Part 5 of the Octuple Fixed Four Schick Shaving Show.

Epic post!!

Congratulations on the Tibu Sabuni shave - a new tub of Ethos would definitely get me out to the mailbox too! I have Frank's Bay Rum on the way and I'm really looking forward to trying it.

FFFMM sort of kills the surprise of the SWS posts this month :) but I'm feeling good this next week will by my eighth SWS of the year. That's pretty good consistency for me! And I can tell my technique has been improving far faster than before I gained some kit consistency.

1678598081821.png

Preshave: Bowl O' Borg
Preshave Brush: Zenith Unbleached 502 Boar
Razor: GameChanger 68-P
Blade: Gillette Platinum (6) I flipped the blade today, I've read some guys do that.
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (29)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (47)

I posted way too much about this kit in a new post today here in my Journal.

Today I finished ten weeks of a weekly fixed razor that has taken me through all ten of my regular use razors. I'm not digging out my razor relegated to my travel bag, although it would certainly be capable of standing in well for a week (Muhle birchbark Rocca).
My next week is going to have a very loose definition of fixed but there will be defined boundaries.
It will be a single edge week with all my GEM razors. Might have an injector day. Soap every day will be something made by B&M. Looking forward to it.

Septuple Schick Shaving Show
Part 5: Type J Eversharp 500

There has been a downgrade in the Schick Shaving Show. Part 7 will occur during the last few days of March, and I noticed that I had shaved with the Type M adjustable for 7 days in mid-January, so the producer and I opted to cut the show short rather than be repetitive. In that spot will be a new to me vintage razor like no other I have.

Today the Type J Eversharp 500 was used for the first time by me. I acquired it on a trade, and it came cased and looking spectacular!
20230211_110525.jpg

According to the Dummies Guides, and actual consulting the author, this Type J is a 1st variant, style 3 (short lever with no writing on it), made between 1954-'58.

The longer handled Type J's seem to trip me up sometimes, like I am getting the wrong angle. I think maybe it has something to do with where I hold the razor, compared to the shorter handled injectors. But I can adapt, what with having opposable thumbs and larger cranial capacity than most other mammals!

Eversharp 500 sotd 0316.jpg

The other players in this Part of the Schick Shaving Show are the Trotter Supernova handle with an APSCo 24mm Independent fan (synthetic), Mystic Water Soap's Sensitive Skin (my favorite!) and a new Schick blade. Quite the wonderful shave!

Septuple Schick Shaving Show
Part 5: Type J Eversharp 500

There has been a downgrade in the Schick Shaving Show. Part 7 will occur during the last few days of March, and I noticed that I had shaved with the Type M adjustable for 7 days in mid-January, so the producer and I opted to cut the show short rather than be repetitive. In that spot will be a new to me vintage razor like no other I have.

Today the Type J Eversharp 500 was used for the first time by me. I acquired it on a trade, and it came cased and looking spectacular!
View attachment 1622052
According to the Dummies Guides, and actual consulting the author, this Type J is a 1st variant, style 3 (short lever with no writing on it), made between 1954-'58.

The longer handled Type J's seem to trip me up sometimes, like I am getting the wrong angle. I think maybe it has something to do with where I hold the razor, compared to the shorter handled injectors. But I can adapt, what with having opposable thumbs and larger cranial capacity than most other mammals!

View attachment 1622049
The other players in this Part of the Schick Shaving Show are the Trotter Supernova handle with an APSCo 24mm Independent fan (synthetic), Mystic Water Soap's Sensitive Skin (my favorite!) and a new Schick blade. Quite the wonderful shave!

Spectacular is right! What a kit - Congratulations!! Hydro-Magic, that's great. They didn't hold back :)

My setup for next week...
Schick Type M w/ Schick Injector
Catie's Bubbles 'Tonsorial Parlour'
WCS 'Tortoiseshell Torch' Silvertip

20230317_164836.jpg

This is the third razor this month that I purchased last year and never used. Because the injector blades are good for at least two weeks of shaves, it will probably be the last. That's not necessarily a bad thing because I really enjoy the Schick Type G razors and I hope this one is comparable. This razor will accept Schick Twin blades, but I thought it best to start with a blade with which I already have some experience.

Be well and stay safe

Would like to give this weekly shave format a try. Failed miserably at fffmm so hopefully I can do a one week set up. For this week I will use this razor, blade, and soap. Brush and aftershave are subject to change😃

3/18/23
Razor- Yuma
Blade- Derby Extra (green) (1)
Soap- Cella (red) in Captain's Choice soap locker
Brush- SF 20mm 2 bb, SunSoaps cherry/maple handle
Aftershave- Avon Oland
result- very nice dfs!

full

Here is my kit for the coming week starting tomorrow Sunday:
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Personna lab blue.
Brush: Vulfix badger. (I'm giving my Semogue boar a week off)
Soap: MdC unscented
ASB: Zingari unscented
Wax: Fisticuffs
I will post a picture later. I hope everyone is well. Have a great week of shaves.

Would like to give this weekly shave format a try. Failed miserably at fffmm so hopefully I can do a one week set up. For this week I will use this razor, blade, and soap. Brush and aftershave are subject to change😃

3/18/23
Razor- Yuma
Aftershave- Avon Oland
result- very nice dfs!

full
Welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Keeping solid with the FFFMM setup this coming week.

1679207906687.png

Razor: GameChanger .68P
Blade: Gillette Platinum (13)
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (36)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (54)

There's more on this great shave here, but I feel pretty lucky that I'm not getting sick of what I've picked for the March event :)

3/18/23
Razor- Yuma
Aftershave- Avon Oland
result- very nice dfs!

full
Welcome aboard!! Week by week is more manageable for me too, although I still rotate brushes daily! 😃

Keeping solid with the FFFMM setup this coming week.

View attachment 1623305

Razor: GameChanger .68P
Blade: Gillette Platinum (13)
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop (36)
Brush: Omega Jade Boar (54)

There's more on this great shave here, but I feel pretty lucky that I'm not getting sick of what I've picked for the March event :)
Lovely pic. We have crocus' blooming in our yard. Lovely sign of Spring.
On that note, my idea of a "Fixed" shave this week will be to celebrate Spring by using only floral soap and AS all week. Blade will be Astra SP and razors will be only Wolfmans all week.

Top Bottom