What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

Eric, that's basically what I've been doing for a while now; I use one razor/blade combo during the week and my Feather AC DX on the weekends. By the time I start getting ready for something new, the week is done and I then get a chance to maintain my proficiency with the Feather.

It works out great for me. I pick my setup for the week and don't need to think about it again for another week.

I go back and forth with the brush rotation, but lately I've been using just one for the entire week. Maybe someday I'll realize a rotation of three or four would have been better, but that's probably a good five or six years down the road.

The SWS is probably the best thing that's happened to me since joining B&B... of course there's also the fine group of folks I've met along the way.
:cool:

Good evening! And happy almost 2023!

I'm a new wet shaver, about 4 months in now, and am all fired up after DecemBOAR :). LOL. I was thinking about it and a post by @Rosseforp last month clued me into the SWS and the idea of the Fixed Four. Since then I'm been musing on it...What a good idea. I've purchased more, perhaps, than I should have in my short adventure so far. Seems like a good idea to spend 2023 woodshedding with what I've put in my den.

In the spirit of resolutions, I'm excited to be throwing in on my first SWS on Jan 1. It would be cool to knock out 52 (53?) weeks of them this year.

To kick things off in January, I've got two questions I'm trying to use the SWS to answer and one goal I want it's help with.

1672552378103.png

SWS Week 1/52

This week (starting tomorrow)

Pre: Shower (maybe? Hopefully), The Tube 2.0
Soap: Arko!
Brush: Omega Jade Boar
Razor: Gillette F2 Fatboy
Blade: Gillette 7 'o clock Black (Ninja)
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Balm

The first question is, what do I think of Arko? A month should answer that pretty well I'm thinking. I have some nice soaps I enjoy and I'd been avoiding this question. Time to step up! I can definitively say they didn't forget to put the scent in my puck.

The second question is, am I on Team Fatboy or part of the Slim Syndicate? Two weeks with one, then the other I'm thinking. Or one week each, alternating for four weeks? I'm not sure yet.

The goal is to break in this Omega Jade boar brush I purchased new for DecemBOAR 2022. I have no idea how long this will take. Months, I gather. Years? lol. I'll be bowl lathering 90% of the time I anticipate with this brush and the new lather bowl I won in a holiday giveaway.

Bladewise, I mostly have been using Astra SP's but I purchased a sleeve (well, a tin technically) of these Blacks and have enjoyed them the few times I've used them. Over the 2023 I plan to use these Blacks, Nacet's and Gillette Platinums (all on hand) and maybe some Personna Labs and choose a favorite from those.

I'm excited to be onboard with the SWS for 2023 - I hope your shaves will be as exciting as mine are shaping up to be. Happy New Year!

I'm a new wet shaver, about 4 months in now, and am all fired up after DecemBOAR :). LOL. I was thinking about it and a post by @Rosseforp last month clued me into the SWS and the idea of the Fixed Four. Since then I'm been musing on it...What a good idea. I've purchased more, perhaps, than I should have in my short adventure so far. Seems like a good idea to spend 2023 woodshedding with what I've put in my den.

In the spirit of resolutions, I'm excited to be throwing in on my first SWS on Jan 1. It would be cool to knock out 52 (53?) weeks of them this year.

To kick things off in January, I've got two questions I'm trying to use the SWS to answer and one goal I want it's help with.

View attachment 1581029

SWS Week 1/52

The first question is, what do I think of Arko? A month should answer that pretty well I'm thinking. I have some nice soaps I enjoy and I'd been avoiding this question. Time to step up! I can definitively say they didn't forget to put the scent in my puck.

The second question is, am I on Team Fatboy or part of the Slim Syndicate? Two weeks with one, then the other I'm thinking. Or one week each, alternating for four weeks? I'm not sure yet.

The goal is to break in this Omega Jade boar brush I purchased new for DecemBOAR 2022. I have no idea how long this will take. Months, I gather. Years? lol. I'll be bowl lathering 90% of the time I anticipate with this brush and the new lather bowl I won in a holiday giveaway.

Bladewise, I mostly have been using Astra SP's but I purchased a sleeve (well, a tin technically) of these Blacks and have enjoyed them the few times I've used them. Over the 2023 I plan to use these Blacks, Nacet's and Gillette Platinums (all on hand) and maybe some Personna Labs and choose a favorite from those.

I'm excited to be onboard with the SWS for 2023 - I hope your shaves will be as exciting as mine are shaping up to be. Happy New Year!

Glad to have you joining us! And your questions are exactly what SWS is meant for: a time to really get to know your kit, but still can change it up weekly (or more, see various posts of mine, ha ha!).

Eric, that's basically what I've been doing for a while now; I use one razor/blade combo during the week and my Feather AC DX on the weekends. By the time I start getting ready for something new, the week is done and I then get a chance to maintain my proficiency with the Feather.

It works out great for me. I pick my setup for the week and don't need to think about it again for another week.

I go back and forth with the brush rotation, but lately I've been using just one for the entire week. Maybe someday I'll realize a rotation of three or four would have been better, but that's probably a good five or six years down the road.

The SWS is probably the best thing that's happened to me since joining B&B... of course there's also the fine group of folks I've met along the way.
:cool:

Thanks for input, Benjamin. I am going to do something similar to what you do!

I'm in. First time poster here. I'm using this thread to switch up my habits from using completely different kit every day (except blade) to a fixed razor and soap for a week. I feel like I'd really benefit from using my razors every day for a week to better learn how to use them best. I'm a daily shaver. I also will probably move some razors on soon as I have others I'd like to try. So, if I can't use a razor daily for a week I may move it on.
Glad this is brush exempted (correct?) or it would be less appealing to me. I used a badger brush this morning that I definitely would not want to use all week.
Hope I'm in the right spirit of things here and thank you for a place to work these things out.
This will be my shave for the first week of 2023. The Razor is a 1.65 gap WR2 Wolfman and the B&M soap is omnibus base.
Image1635866443425017231.jpg

I'm in. First time poster here. I'm using this thread to switch up my habits from using completely different kit every day (except blade) to a fixed razor and soap for a week. I feel like I'd really benefit from using my razors every day for a week to better learn how to use them best. I'm a daily shaver. I also will probably move some razors on soon as I have others I'd like to try. So, if I can't use a razor daily for a week I may move it on.
Glad this is brush exempted (correct?) or it would be less appealing to me. I used a badger brush this morning that I definitely would not want to use all week.
Hope I'm in the right spirit of things here and thank you for a place to work these things out.
This will be my shave for the first week of 2023. The Razor is a 1.65 gap WR2 Wolfman and the B&M soap is omnibus base. View attachment 1581465
I rotate my brushes daily too!

@Leverspro, welcome aboard! Yeah, it seems you've pretty much captured the spirit of the group. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Personally, I've found choosing a setup for the week eliminates the anxiety I previously experienced when trying to decide what shaving gear to use from one day to the next. And having one razor/blade combo for the week gave me a chance to make any adjustments to get a better shave. As a result, I discovered most of my shaves got better toward the middle of the week using the same equipment.

View attachment 1581029

SWS Week 1/52

Welcome! Make the SWS work for you! As for Arko...hmmm...not my favourite. Can't seem to get past the scent. As for Slim or Fatboy...in real life I resemble more of a Fatboy, but I am a Slim lover at heart! Give me a Slim any day. Always a great shave. As for breaking in a boar...use it every day for a week, or even better two weeks and most of the board scent is gone. You can try soaking it in a mug of cold water for a few hours as well. Best of luck with your SWS journey!

This will be my shave for the first week of 2023. The Razor is a 1.65 gap WR2 Wolfman and the B&M soap is omnibus base. View attachment 1581465
Welcome! Hope the SWS works for you!

My (mostly) set up for the week.

View attachment 1581475

The brush may change. Can you believe that the knot is a 21mm? Badger knots really open up!

Blackland Sabre level 2
Personna GEM used 6 times already. This is the workday razor.
Different GEM for days off.
Murphy & McNeil Nil Scent
Nice looking kit Eric! That looks like a new unscented soap. What are your thought on it?

I am remiss in my duties this week. I didn't pick a kit! I am still in Christmas mode and haven't moved beyond "anything goes". Next Sunday it will be time to pick a 2023 starter kit!

Lots of new faces in the SWS Clubhouse lately. All are welcome. Its always good to see new members giving the SWS a whirl. Always interesting to see new kit combinations. :pipe:

Nice looking kit Eric! That looks like a new unscented soap. What are your thought on it?
Hi Rusty,

I took advantage of some Black Friday sales and some birthday money to add more soaps to my fairly full soap drawer. So now we need to get back in diet mode!

Murphy and McNeil Nil Scent has been catching my eye for a while now. And I am really liking it. There are so many that are new to me and so many that I have tried and liked that I could probably be happy with most of them as my only soap. You'd think that l might be off my rocker getting so many, given that there's no fragrance, and you may be right!

I'll try and get a group shot of the new additions! And I'll post some thoughts along the way as I try them out.

Top Bottom