What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

No photo for this week, but maybe later I'll get one. The plan is very loose for the last 10 days of the month. I am doing various latherings and soakings to break in some new boar brushes in anticipation of DecemBoar here and in another neighborhood, so the brushes for the last 10 shaves this month will be various synthetics. I may use one for several days or a different one each day. The constants will be the blade and the soap. And the razors will most likely be limited to 2 new DEs, as I need to evaluate them with some more shaves.

This past week I have been using the Hydro-magic Schick injector and the Type G. Both are great shavers for me, but the Hydro-Magic worked its magic perfectly on every outing! I am tempted to keep it going, but my eye keeps wandering to these 2 DEs that I need to give more time and attention to, in order to determine if they are just guests in the shave drawer, or permanent residents!

The razors are new items, and only used 3-4 times prior to this week. The Henson Al-13 M was a recent acquisition from the BST, and many folks recommended it to me as I prefer milder razors. There was a recent price hike from $50 USD new to $70, and I was fortunate to find someone willing to sell a used one at a reasonable price. The other razor is a Yates 921. I owned the bead-blasted version, liked it, but felt the razor head didn't glide well for me. So when a polished one appeared on the BST, I sold mine and bought this. Actually not in that order, but you get the idea! The first shaves did have better glide, but not a dramatic difference like I was anticipating. And both don't seem to give the effortless shaves an injector does. So I am evaluating them. I have become hugely smitten by injectors and GEMs. My DEs have been sitting idle, and I want to check them out and see if they get to stay or not. I will always keep my Slim and Karve, but the newbies need to earn their place, so to say. And, Blackland Razors will be coming out soon with the Era, a DE with 10 plate options and it is 3D printed. Price point is $70-$80 USD, per Shane. I am very tempted to do one with 2-3 plates.

Soap: Hub City Birthday Suit
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Red)
Brushes: whatever I reach for, but will be synthetic
Razor: Henson Al-13 M and polished Yates 921, Mid and High plates (only M is polished, H is bead-blasted)

Have a great week! And be safe in the Black Friday shopping frenzies!

Here is my kit for the coming week. I am in the home stretch with this Stirling Barbershop, I am will try to finish it off in the next week or so. It is actually a really nice soap.
Razor: Schick Type G
Brush: Assorted Horse (Yes, I have a couple...)
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
ASB: Stirling Barbershop
Wax: Lucky Tiger
I hope everyone has a great week. :pipe:
SWS Nov 20.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I change straight razors every two or three weeks.

I use ARKO soap sticks and do not rotate soap.

I use a badger brush, face lather and do not rotate.

I use Old Spice A/S and VIBR A/S and rotate OS summer and VIBR winter.

I don’t use preshave.

I may be a minimalist but I enjoy every shave.

I don’t use preshave.

It is the enjoyment that is the key, I believe. This was once a chore, something I'd skip if I could. But now, it is a relaxing time for me, and something I look forward to (most days!). And contentment, another component we can lose if we spend all our time chasing "best."

I don’t use preshave.

When I first "discovered" DE/SE shaving a few years ago, I jumped right into the deep end and started buying a lot of items based on the recommendations of others. I had the disposable income and nobody in my household missed a meal because of my new hobby obsession. I enjoyed the ritual of shaving for the first time in my life as what had once been a chore become a daily period of relaxation. My shaves got better and my skin got healthier. The problem was I was acquiring so much stuff at such a rapid pace that I didn't allow myself to just enjoy what I had available to me. If I could do it all over, I would have no more than a few razors, brushes, or soaps at any given time to allow for both variety and consistency. I probably wouldn't consider myself a "minimalist", but I would have a lot less shaving stuff. As it is, I'm "stuck" with some really nice gear and I'm loving my shaves! Have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow...

Last edited:
Here is my kit for the coming week:
Brush: assorted boar
Soap: B&M soft heart series unscented
ASB: B&M unscented
It seems my synth brushes are gathering dust lately. I am really enjoying boars again. I hope you have a great week of shaves.
20211030_084546_resized_1.jpg

Reactions: bjm
Here is my kit for the coming week:
Brush: assorted boar
Soap: B&M soft heart series unscented
ASB: B&M unscented
It seems my synth brushes are gathering dust lately. I am really enjoying boars again. I hope you have a great week of shaves.
View attachment 1368914

I need to scroll back through our last few weeks and see if you posted thoughts on the Nil with orange lid and this one here. I seem to recall looking for the Soft Heart unscented as it was mentioned somewhere else (Unscented shavers' thread?) but don't recall what I found!

I need to scroll back through our last few weeks and see if you posted thoughts on the Nil with orange lid and this one here. I seem to recall looking for the Soft Heart unscented as it was mentioned somewhere else (Unscented shavers' thread?) but don't recall what I found!
I didn't post a review on NIL (forgot) And I may have posted a review on B&M Soft Heart unscented (I've had it for a while now)...but I can't remember when...or what I said. Bottom line is both soaps are really nice. I would purchase both again and for me that is high praise. :pipe:

If I could do it all over, I would have no more than a few razors, brushes, or soaps at any given time to allow for both variety and consistency. I probably wouldn't consider myself a "minimalist", but I would have a lot less shaving stuff. As it is, I'm "stuck" with some really nice gear and I'm loving my shaves! Have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow...
Yup...without a doubt I would do the same. I have collected so much hardware that I could open a museum (actually I have one in my home). And as for soaps...I have likely tried over 50-75 different soaps and creams. I have used a lot and I have PIF'd a lot...and I have sent quite a few to the showers. I have resolved to get my soaps down to 2 or 3...but I still have to work through about a dozen or so.

My setup for next week...
Gillette Tech (1961 G4)
Gillette Silver Blue
Arko Shaving Soap Stick
Zenith 'Short and Scrubby'

SWS_20211128.jpg

I'm finishing the month pretty much the same way I started. The new experiences with the adjustable razors was better than I had anticipated. Not that I needed more, but I have two additional favorite vintage razors now. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
20211129_223351.jpg

Schick and Sheep week!
The two adjustables have different blades. The cross dial has a Chinese Schick blade while the dot dial has a Japanese Schick Injector II twin blade.

For the last days of November, the Semogue Mistura is being used, then we go Full Boar starting Wednesday!

Stay safe, and enjoy your shaves as we enter The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Update: Mid-week switch of my razor. My EJ 3one6 DE razor has been calling out to me lately from the closet and I decided tomorrow I will pop in a new Gillette Silver Blue blade and use the EJ for the rest of the week. Funny how razors can talk like that...:blink:

Update: Mid-week switch of my razor. My EJ 3one6 DE razor has been calling out to me lately from the closet and I decided tomorrow I will pop in a new Gillette Silver Blue blade and use the EJ for the rest of the week. Funny how razors can talk like that...:blink:
That same thing happens to me frequently, and to combat it I have started choosing a couple or more razors! We reached a compromise by trying to stay in the same style.

Have a great time with the EJ! I know it's one of your favorites :thumbup1:

[Parts of this post have appeared elsewhere on the interwebs. Here is my Journal post from today]

Three days into DecomBoar and I am getting some great shaves! Started the week with the two Type Ms that I have, one is a '73 or later as it has the blade guard lever/button and can load the twin blade. Very nice razors, indeed. During the last pass/touch up pass like being able to quickly dial it down for going against the grain under my nose. I mentioned somewhere that I had read of a guy who keeps his Parker adjustable injector (known to be very mild) nearby for that very reason. I may do this, too, as I really enjoyed who smooth that area can be. This was noticeable when wearing a mask and getting the runny nose syndrome!

Later, the Hydro-Magic Type I came out. This is truly a magic razor for me, even on use 12 of the blade I get an effortless and smooth shave. At this moment, if I could have only one, I'd reach for the Hydro-magic. But I am thankful I don't have to do that and can enjoy all the razors in my greatly expanded collection. Today, the Type G was used. Wow! It is probably just a whisker behind the Type I for me, but it was fantastic. So much so that it may get Ground Hogged tomorrow!

Now let's boar down on the brushes! Three days in and 3 brushes used, all winners so far. Well, the SOC gifted to me by @bjm was a given. That boar is setting the bar for the others to aspire to, if they can be anthropomorphized. For all three, loading and building lather is different from synthetics (which the reader will remember is all EJ used since early 2016). And the lather looks wetter, a little thinner (I think @mrdoug mentions this in his Journal), but nice and slick. This is a something different but pleasant surprise.

20211203_101023.jpg

So the SOC is wonderful. Next was a TGN 24mm knot in the Coho Trotter Handcrafts handle. Soft yet scrubby. I honestly used to roll my eyes
:rolleyes:
whenever I read that. In my experience, scrubby could very well be pokey, and was right next door to scritchy! But this knot was exactly what I said. I would mash it into my cheek, trying to force it to poke me, and to no avail. I almost Ground Hogged it for today. But I didn't, as there are 7 boaring brushes to try! This morning was the TGN 27mm in the Trotter Cascadia Line. This is a taller knot, and exhibits floppiness, which I like. But what a lather eater! I had to reload between passes. It was well worth it, and between warm lather (Crown King scuttle is being used all month to start the building as well as keeping things warm!), the nice knot, the ergonomic handle, and the Type G goodness, I had a wonderful shave!

After today's shave I see (again!) why @Rusty Blade loves the Type G! In fact, I took it down the laundry room/workshop and gave it a gentle scrub after a soak in palmolive dish soap and warm water. I should take a picture; it just shines like it is brand new! Definitely Ground Hog Day for it tomorrow!

Edit: I made it back within the edit window!

Here’s the Type G after its spa appointment.

20211203_132449.jpg
20211203_132522.jpg
20211203_132433.jpg

Last edited:
My setup for next week...
Feather ACS-RB
Dorco BB20 SE
Arko Shaving Soap Stick
Mondial Antica Barberia

SWS_20211205.jpg

While I enjoyed spending last month with my birth-quarter razors, it's time to start working through the Dorco SE blades again. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
Decemboar continues
Soap this week will be Mike's Natural Soap Unscented, one of my original Top 3 soaps.
Brushes will be various boars. My plan is to use each of 7 or 8 once, and then try to use 1 or 2 every week.
Blade will be a Personna GEM.
Razors will be vintage GEMs and maybe the Sabre, for a mid week comparison.

Here's what I have planned for Sunday
20211204_223014.jpg

My kit for this week. The NIL is really an outstanding soap. It even surpasses Stirling Naked and Smooth as my favourite!
20211107_094655_resized.jpg

Reactions: bjm
@Rusty Blade, you realize that being saying that you make my Buy It Now finger start twitching in anticipation of hunting this down!! 🤪

Looks like a great set up!

(on a similar note, Mike's soap showed up and delivered this morning, reminding me once again why this soap will ALWAYS be in the overflowing soap drawer!)

(I think the soaps are taking lessons from the brushes and inviting all their friends over to my place, and I get to pay the bills!)

@Rusty Blade, you realize that being saying that you make my Buy It Now finger start twitching in anticipation of hunting this down!! 🤪

(on a similar note, Mike's soap showed up and delivered this morning, reminding me once again why this soap will ALWAYS be in the overflowing soap drawer!)

(I think the soaps are taking lessons from the brushes and inviting all their friends over to my place, and I get to pay the bills!)
Every day I use this soap I like it more. This is a smooth, rich lather, no scent. The ASB is also really nice -- a little dab is all you need and it has a wonderful face feel. Top drawer material all around. And I must admit, I also like the presentation -- solid yellow, metal can, water resistant labels...nice. I think I could toss all my other soaps and make this my one and only (did I just say that?:eek2:).

Yes...I did.:pipe:

Hunt no further... Bartigan & Stark men's grooming products - https://bartiganandstark.com/

Top Bottom