What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

This week I started off with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow) which was good but no cigar and moved on to a Bic Astor Stainless, a lovely sharp blade that requires a light touch.

So - the week ahead:
Fatip Piccolo, Arco, the usual brush, a sink full of hot water then a cold water rinse, and finally Nivea Sensitive PSB.
Any blade that I happen to fancy.

Let's all have another week of spectacular shaves!

My kit for the coming week:

Razor: Fendrihan DE / GSB
Brush: Assorted
Soap: Soap Commander Integrity
ASB: Soap Commander Integrity ASB
btw...this soap/ASB combo is a gem...very nice.
I hope y'all have a great week of shaves!

For the coming week, blade exploration continues. I have this stash of loose blades, typically two of a brand, and I am enjoying trying some out. I shoot for 4 shaves before changing blades, longer if the blade is doing well. Soap and razor stay constant. I have my "plenty packs" of favorites, but the clutter of the loosies was getting to me. I decided to work on it and see if any could be keepers (meaning potential purchases). So far, the German Wilkinson Sword gave a great week of shaves, as did Battle Brothers and Viking's Sword. But others, whew, I changed out after 2 or 3 shaves. They shall be unnamed lest they be someone elses faves!

Razor: CB Karve
Blade: Polsilver (I know, how can I not have tried one in three years?!)
Brush: SynBad
Soap: Mike's Natural Soap unscented (the last of the 2016 purchase in andvance of my attempt at the 2017 Restraint)

Looking forward to great shaves and wish the same to you all!

For the coming week, blade exploration continues. I have this stash of loose blades, typically two of a brand, and I am enjoying trying some out. I shoot for 4 shaves before changing blades, longer if the blade is doing well. Soap and razor stay constant. I have my "plenty packs" of favorites, but the clutter of the loosies was getting to me. I decided to work on it and see if any could be keepers (meaning potential purchases). So far, the German Wilkinson Sword gave a great week of shaves, as did Battle Brothers and Viking's Sword. But others, whew, I changed out after 2 or 3 shaves. They shall be unnamed lest they be someone elses faves!

Razor: CB Karve
Blade: Polsilver (I know, how can I not have tried one in three years?!)
Brush: SynBad
Soap: Mike's Natural Soap unscented (the last of the 2016 purchase in andvance of my attempt at the 2017 Restraint)

Looking forward to great shaves and wish the same to you all!
Nice idea. I have a box of assorted blades. One of these days I should dig in and try some different ones. I have been stuck on GSB for a while now.

This week a different razor and synthetic brush. Cheers gents!

ATT S1 atlas (slant)
Feather blades
Proraso green preshave
Proraso red soap, maybe some arko
Fine stout synthetic brush
osma alum
Fine platinum aftershave
Stirling unscented Balm

For the coming week:

Razor: British Gillette Flare Tip Rocket / GSB
Brush: Semogue Boar 1305
Soap: Le Pere Lucien

I hope y'all have a great week of shaves!

Back to my base or standard, or what ever it's called!
Razor: the CB Karve
Blade: Personna Red (the Platinum Chrome)
Soap: Mike's Natural Soap unscented
Brush: various synthetic brushes that I am evaluating as to what I like and is it a keeper. Yaqi Mew Brown 24mm in the Purple Haze handle, SynBad 24mm in the small blue handle that I think is too small, and the RazoRock BC Silvertip synthetic 24mm.

- Karve Diem, M. BOSC

Okay ..... for my first week (here, anyway):

Pre: Stirling Coniferous Oil
Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley C-plate
Blade: 7Oclock Permasharp Stainless vs. Treet New Edge
Brush: RV 2018 Shavemac
Soap: Tallow&Steel Madagascar
Balm: Stirling Port Au Prince

Considering adding a carbon steel blade to my rotation. Testing to see if Treet New Edge makes the cut (so to speak).
proxy.php

Testing to see if Treet New Edge makes the cut (so to speak).
Welcome aboard!
I hope you have better luck than I did with a Treet "Black Beauty" which I started the week with. Shave One was very good - a DFS++. Shave Two the blade had started to blunt and by Shave Three the blade had gone rusty! Treet Dura Sharp is a much better blade imho. The other blade this week was a Derby Premium - good shaves but nothing to write home about this time.
For the week ahead I'll be using my usual razor, soap and post-shave but the blades will be random.

I hope you have better luck than I did with a Treet "Black Beauty" which I started the week with.

I had trouble with the Black Beauty too. Never made it past shave one. But the New Edge made it through my first trial with a sample, so I got a tuck of 10. The question now is whether or not it is worth keeping more than a tuck or two around.

I had trouble with the Black Beauty too. Never made it past shave one. But the New Edge made it through my first trial with a sample, so I got a tuck of 10. The question now is whether or not it is worth keeping more than a tuck or two around.
I tend to the view that it is always worth keeping a tuck or two of anything around, no matter how horrid. There is always the possibility that a new razor or technique might open up the previously hidden beauty of, let's say, a Shark Super Stainless.
Of course once they're gone, they're gone and wouldn't necessarily be my first choice for a new purchase.
I normally buy in very small quantities just for the variety, and sometimes because of the triumph of hope over experience.
But there we are.
"Hope, the last great invertebrate,
Flourishes where nothing else lives."

Considering adding a carbon steel blade to my rotation. Testing to see if Treet New Edge makes the cut (so to speak).
proxy.php
Nice setup. That's a nice looking razor.

proxy.php

Welcome to the club! Nice gear! Enjoy the week.

Ok my M-F plan.

Not completely set in stone as I have some tabac on order. Have never used it so looking forward to trying it out once it arrives. I was always reluctant to purchase because I’m not a fan of scent description however I got a chance to smell tabac before I made the purchase and it doesn’t smell as bad as I believed. Just more of an old school scent. Also have some PdP on the way for holidays.

Cheers gents! Enjoy the week.

Anyway that was long.
1. Razor. Rex ambassador
2. Blade. Polsilver SI
3. Brush rotation of Simpson Duke, Semogue Mistura, and WCS silvertip
4. Soap. MWF and Wholly Kaw. (Tabac will take primary when it arrives)
5. Post. alum and ES balm. Aftershave assortment of TOBS and Fine.

An audible. Some new soap arrived for holidays, early gift. Pre de Provence soap is in my setup now. Lovely soap!

Switched to Astra sp blades for end of week. I know many love them, not my favorite but working okay so far with Rex.

Top Bottom