What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

Septuple Schick Shaving Show
Part 6: Type I Hydro-magic chrome/silver version

20230320_104802.jpg

This Hydro-magic is a Type I, 2nd variant, style 1 with the chrome head, manufactured from 1958 - '61, according to the Dummies Guide. It was gifted to me by a very generous member here hailing from the Bluegrass State. Many thanks!! I find this version feels better on my face than the Eversharp 500 from the last part, and almost as comfy as the Type I 1st variant used earlier.

It has a Schick blade already in place with about a half dozen shaves on it, and I will be using a Semogue boar in the cherry Owner's Club handle, along with the Canada Shaving Soap. I may be switching up the brushes, as I want to try different brushes with this soap as I reacquaint myself to it.
The Septuple Schick Shaves will be interrupted later this week, as my turn is next in the Atelier Durdan La Faulx passaround and I anticipate that razor arriving by week's end. After using this AC-style razor for a few shaves, I will return the final part of my Schick Show, the Schick Golden 500.

View attachment 1624652

This Hydro-magic is a Type I, 2nd variant, style 1 with the chrome head, manufactured from 1958 - '61, according to the Dummies Guide. It was gifted to me by a very generous member here hailing from the Bluegrass State. Many thanks!! I find this version feels better on my face than the Eversharp 500 from the last part, and almost as comfy as the Type I 1st variant used earlier.

It has a Schick blade already in place with about a half dozen shaves on it, and I will be using a Semogue boar in the cherry Owner's Club handle, along with the Canada Shaving Soap. I may be switching up the brushes, as I want to try different brushes with this soap as I reacquaint myself to it.
The Septuple Schick Shaves will be interrupted later this week, as my turn is next in the Atelier Durdan La Faulx passaround and I anticipate that razor arriving by week's end. After using this AC-style razor for a few shaves, I will return the final part of my Schick Show, the Schick Golden 500.

That looks like a very luxurious shave my friend. Awesome choices! I'm very interested to hear your impressions on the La Faulx, but I'm enjoying the Schick Show too.

View attachment 1624652

Looks like quite the Schick show...:pipe:

My setup for next week...
Schick Type M w/ Schick Injector
Catie's Bubbles 'Tonsorial Parlour'
Zenith 505AK Manchurian Badger

20230324_154441.jpg

I'm really enjoying the Type M razor. Finding the proper angle was very easy. The shaves have been very comfortable. The blade guard is a nice bonus and would make the Type M a nice travel companion. I'll finish the month with this one and it should be another week of drama-free stubble removal.

Be well and stay safe

Here is my shave kit for the coming week.
Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: Semogue Boar
Soap: Zingari Unscented
ASB: Old Spice...cause I'm an Old Spice kind of guy
Wax: Fisticuffs

Hope everyone is well. Just a heads up for next week's shave -- I will be using my new King C. Gillette DE razor. First "new" razor I have purchased in a while. :pipe:
SWS March 25.jpg

Part 7: Type J Golden 500

20230325_104047.jpg

For the final part of the Schick Show, a circa 1959-'64 Schick Golden 500. Per the Dummies Guide, this is a 4th variant, style 1, with the long lever that has writing on it. I currently have four Hydro-magic razors, being composed of a Type I and Type J with the short lever (1954-'58) and the long lever (1958-'61 (Type I) or '64 (Type J)). I expected the pairings to be similar, but was surprised to find them different. To my face, the short lever Eversharp 500 is the most aggressive, and the Type I ('54) and Type J ('58) shave almost the same, very carefree and easy. The Type I ('58) is pretty smooth, but not as smooth as the previously listed pair, but nowhere near as aggressive (or blade forward?) as that Eversharp 500 from ca. 1054. Odd, to say the least. But this has been fun and I am looking forward to both using the pictured 500 above for a few days and excited to move onto a different razor style altogether by the 30th or 31st!

Soap for the next 5 shaves will be the PAA CK-6 Scentsless, and the brush will be changing periodically as I compare the WW Poseidon's Lair badger to other brushes, including my favorite boar, the SOC cherry wood.

My setup for next week...
Schick Type M w/ Schick Injector
Catie's Bubbles 'Tonsorial Parlour'
Zenith 505AK Manchurian Badger

View attachment 1626542

I'm really enjoying the Type M razor. Finding the proper angle was very easy. The shaves have been very comfortable. The blade guard is a nice bonus and would make the Type M a nice travel companion. I'll finish the month with this one and it should be another week of drama-free stubble removal.

Be well and stay safe

My two favorite injectors are the Type I and the Type M. I use the Type M quite a bit, and never had a bad shave experience! enjoy your week with it!

This is the last week of FFFMM for me and I'm looking forward to a switch up. Keeping to SWS is going to be a breeze for the rest of the year after this month!

1679798927407.png

Razor: GameChanger .68P
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Soap: Mike's Barber Shop
Brush: Omega Jade Boar

My impulse control issues aside, I think I can say the Omega Jade is officially broken in now and it only took 60 shaves :) It's got a firm backbone still but is a lathering machine and the ends are finally all split and very, very soft.

1679799266676.png

It was worth the wait.

It may be remembered that this Schick Show started out being 8 parts. But the final razor (by year of manufacture) is a Type M adjustable, made between 1964-'66, making it as close as possible to being a "birth year" Schick for me. I had used it for 7 shaves back in January, so I dropped it to help keep most of the razors in March. My Type M is as D2, H1, G1 by the appropriate Dummies Guide. The translation of the code is as follows: D2 is the adjuster dial with no black dot in the middle; H1 is the handle sticker labeled Schick Adjustable; and G1 is no guard protector level.
20210130_120305.jpg

Type M June.jpg

Type M Side June.jpg

The guard lever is located on the underside of the razor, right below the metal head. In the above photo, it is "on" for shipping purposes.

It may be remembered that this Schick Show started out being 8 parts. But the final razor (by year of manufacture) is a Type M adjustable, made between 1964-'66, making it as close as possible to being a "birth year" Schick for me. I had used it for 7 shaves back in January, so I dropped it to help keep most of the razors in March. My Type M is as D2, H1, G1 by the appropriate Dummies Guide. The translation of the code is as follows: D2 is the adjuster dial with no black dot in the middle; H1 is the handle sticker labeled Schick Adjustable; and G1 is no guard protector level.
View attachment 1627522

View attachment 1627520
View attachment 1627521
The guard lever is located on the underside of the razor, right below the metal head. In the above photo, it is "on" for shipping purposes.
Eric, I believe the Schick Type M that I used last week and will be using this week is the one pictured from June.

D3: Dial sticker with cross in the middle
H3: Handle sticker “Adjustable by Schick”
G2: with Guard Protector lever

Thanks for sending it my way; it's a great razor

Eric, I believe the Schick Type M that I used last week and will be using this week is the one pictured from June.

D3: Dial sticker with cross in the middle
H3: Handle sticker “Adjustable by Schick”
G2: with Guard Protector lever

Thanks for sending it my way; it's a great razor
As I was writing it up, I wondered if it went to you! But my Swiss cheese memory couldn't remember!

Top Bottom