What's new

Shave of the Week Society (SWS)

Nine weeks!! Congratulations man. That's hero level impulse control.

sci fi mind control GIF
Ha! Not nine weeks with the same kit! Nine weeks with a different razor each week. No hero here.
After this week and the Karve I'm intending a very loose definition of fixed, and will use only SE for a while.

Octuple Fixed Four Schick Shaving Show

Part 3: Type G

20230306_103217.jpg

The Type G has been described by Rusty as God's gift to shavers! Mine is the cream handle, and using the Dummies Guides by BBS, I believe it to be the 3rd variant from 1953 or '54. It was already loaded with a Schick Injector blade from Japan (they come in dispensers of 10 blades) and got its eleventh shave late morning. Wonderful! The brush I received from Paul (mrdoug) and has a Maggard Razors 24mm premium boar knot. What a beautiful thing this brush is! Below is a view of the knot after cleanup. And the soap is a favorite of mine, Stirling Sheep.

20230306_103154.jpg

And because it was a late morning shave, done after dropping my wife off at the infusion clinic, I played music, which almost never happens during the shave. And to really break free, I had a mug of coffee with me!

This was my first Kansas album, purchased in 1977 just before they released Point of Know Return.

leftoverture.jpg
Leftoverture back.jpg

One problem I discovered while shaving and listening to music was finding myself trying to make various sounds to accentuate the music while pulling a sharp blade across my face!

Guido,

You are doing a midweek rotation right? So two rotation per week?

Guido
Guido,

That's exactly right.

Basically, my "first half of the week setup" is used from Saturday to Monday, on Tallow Tabac Tuesday I take a wildcard (I might stick to the razor/blade combo on Tuesday, too, if I have skipped a shave or if I'm just in the mood to do so), the "second half of the week setup" is used from Wednesday to Friday.

It works fine for me this way, since it retains variety but allows me to observe razor/blade combos for three consecutive shaves... in order to find out the fine prints of certain combos. If I then feel the need to prolong the "three day period" it's easy to do, I just continue with the setup.

And, another advantage for me is that a "two setups per week approach" allows me to participate in the "day related events" (Mühle Mondays, Wolfman Wednesday... etc) more frequently.

On Saturday it starts all over again... for me and everyone else who chooses the setup on a weekly basis.

I really enjoy the "SWS" this way.

Cheers,
The other Guido 😎

Last edited:
Here is my kit for the coming week starting tomorrow (Sunday).
Razor: Fendrihan DE
Blade: Personna Lab Blues. (My new favourite DE blade. These blades have it all -- sharp and smooth!)
Brush: Semogue Boar. It is my intention to use this brush exclusively for the next month. I am trying to recreate the old days for me when I only had one boar brush in my den. My boars used to get super soft with regular daily use by developing split ends.
Soap: Le Pere Lucien unscented. This was one of my travel soaps, but since I dont travel much any more I have added this soap to my regular rotation.
ASB: DR Harris Rose Milk
Wax: Fisticuffs
I hope everyone is well. Have a great week of shaves!
20230311_051348.jpg

SWS 11.1/2023

20230311_113756-01.jpeg

Blackland Ti'Bird SB
Tallow Speick /AS
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)

My Speick soaps lives in the bowl pictured. I'm not a fan of the rather thin Speick shaving sticks thus I grated three of them (150 g) into this large bowl... 👌
Looking forward for some nice shaves with this setup.

Have some great shaves and a sunny weekend, y'all!
Guido

SWS 11.1/2023

View attachment 1619161
Blackland Ti'Bird SB
Tallow Speick /AS
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)

My Speick soaps lives in the bowl pictured. I'm not a fan of the rather thin Speick shaving sticks thus I grated three of them (150 g) into this large bowl... 👌
Looking forward for some nice shaves with this setup.

Have some great shaves and a sunny weekend, y'all!
Guido

Super Speick Bowl!! What a great idea!

Here is my kit for the coming week starting tomorrow (Sunday).
Razor: Fendrihan DE
Blade: Personna Lab Blues. (My new favourite DE blade. These blades have it all -- sharp and smooth!)
Brush: Semogue Boar. It is my intention to use this brush exclusively for the next month. I am trying to recreate the old days for me when I only had one boar brush in my den. My boars used to get super soft with regular daily use by developing split ends.
Soap: Le Pere Lucien unscented. This was one of my travel soaps, but since I dont travel much any more I have added this soap to my regular rotation.
ASB: DR Harris Rose Milk
Wax: Fisticuffs
I hope everyone is well. Have a great week of shaves!
View attachment 1619133

Great looking set up, Rusty! I love the Semogue brush I have, it is most likely my favorite boar.

Octuple Fixed Four Schick Shaving Show

Part 4: Type I Hydro-magic

20230220_120112.jpg

The razor used for Part 4 will be my Type I black handled Hydro-magic, short lever with no writing on it, circa 1954-'58. It started with a Schick blade on its sixth use. This is my favorite injector razor. Why? It is so smooth and efficient. Brush is a Klenzo B1126 handle with the outstanding Maggard Razors 20mm Super High Density 2-band badger knot.

And today a new member of the Suds Squad was welcomed!

20230311_112042.jpg

This morning the Ethos Tibu Sabuni arrived and I actually went down the the mailbox so I could shave with it! It worked pretty darn good. I scooped out close to Frank's recommended amount (1/2 tsp) and loaded in a bowl while carefully wetting the brush. I forgot that he'd written that it can take a bit of water and you need to do it over time, but as I don't read before doing things, I discovered it for myself!

As I sit here writing this, my face feels great, better than usual! But one mustn't be too hasty (see Treebeard post above). It could be the whole routine or it may be that Frank has made something magical! (Given my affinity for Tolkien, let's go with magical!) I am looking forward to using this soap and combo for the next 4 shaves, at which point it will be onto Part 5 of the Octuple Fixed Four Schick Shaving Show.

Top Bottom