What's new

Shave more to feel more grounded

So, like you, I've been shaving for as long as I can remember. I remember watching my grandfather shave, and I remember being fascinated by my step dad's injector cartridge. No one ever taught me to shave. I learned on my own. My first real lessons were when I joined the Army at age 17 and that lesson was push-ups if i wasn't clean shaven. I can remember dry shaving with blue plastic disposable BIC while standing in formation before the Drill Sergeant showed up. Ouch. I started wet shaving about 8 years ago and loved it... for a while. I always managed a good clean shave, but even wet shaving got boring after a while.

As I've noted in a few posts lately, I've recently become motivated again and am shaving 6 days a week. One of the more interesting things I've noticed is that the time I spend shaving really grounds me for the rest of the day. I find I am much less irritable in the office after spending 15-20 minutes concentrating and focusing on the shave.

M

member 119848

Nice story, Aaron.
I had ups and downs too in my shaving carreer. But the last 3 years I have been gearing up my shaving arsenal due to the influence of B&B. Now thanks to a good technique, I am able to shave every day without irritation.
Shaving has become a morning ritual that I enjoy, just like a shower and a cup of coffee.
I need to be cleanly shaved in order to feel presentable. Even on sundays, I shave to be presentable to my wife and my kids. I feel like a sharp man when I´m shaved. It empowers me. Just like a suit would empower me in a meeting room.
Now I'm 42. If I don´t shave I look like a bum. A few years ago that what not the case. When a man reaches a certain age, there´s just more work to be done to look fresh and clean.
Shaving is a daily disciplin indeed. But is totally worth the effort.

Maybe it is the concentrating and focus early in the day that causes us to be mindful about other tasks. Good story and points. Thank you for sharing.

Great story! For me, shaving first thing in the AM is part of the routine that sets me up for the day!

It takes a certain mindset to shave with the tools we chose, and I also find if I take that mindset to work it helps a great deal, specially the days I shave with a straight razor, I come out to the world with a “bring it on” attitude, after all, what can be more challenging than gliding a sharp piece of steel that could potentialy kill you! And come out alive and looking awesome, carpe diem my friends, carpe diem!

Yup! Zen? Okay. Shaving with canned foam and a disposable razor would be a task; using a brush, soap, and proper razor elevates the experience... and brings me joy. :)

I think that a lot of us find our Zen with wet shaving. The ritual, the aromas of various soaps and aftershaves, etc.
That was pretty much my feeling. I've really found a new appreciation for the Zen aspect of the process. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been feeling this way.

It’s amazing to me how much the ritual has changed over time. Now I appreciate a good variety of brushes and soaps, not to mention multiple razors. It’s incredible how the experience builds upon itself over time.

If the people in your office had any sense, they'd leave tubs of Proraso and bottles of aftershave on your desk.

For me, it's about results..as I shave at night, and BEFORE shower..(I use a hot wash cloth and soak my face with hot water for about 5 minutes though)

BUT..I do love to have some time to myself, and hating stubble, it does feel good to remove it!! And get compliments from my Lady!

I think the soaps and nice brushes are what do it for me the most. :D

Last edited:
and that's how I quickly drifted away from the boredom of a DE shave to straights. come on over to the darkside, we have shinies. and cookies.

I'll agree and add that my days are the best when I shave, when I don't, I feel like a whole chunk of me was just taken away. Now when I travel for certain events and or what not, I don't shave. But in the office I have to shave everyday, it's part of my day and it's part of me.

I like it, and honestly with the wife and kid, it's literally the only 25 minutes I get.

I shave daily and have since I was a teen. Can't stand beards. Now with artisan soaps, it's like putting on Creed Aventus and getting ready for the day (mentally and physically).

So, like you, I've been shaving for as long as I can remember. I remember watching my grandfather shave, and I remember being fascinated by my step dad's injector cartridge. No one ever taught me to shave. I learned on my own. My first real lessons were when I joined the Army at age 17 and that lesson was push-ups if i wasn't clean shaven. I can remember dry shaving with blue plastic disposable BIC while standing in formation before the Drill Sergeant showed up. Ouch. I started wet shaving about 8 years ago and loved it... for a while. I always managed a good clean shave, but even wet shaving got boring after a while.

As I've noted in a few posts lately, I've recently become motivated again and am shaving 6 days a week. One of the more interesting things I've noticed is that the time I spend shaving really grounds me for the rest of the day. I find I am much less irritable in the office after spending 15-20 minutes concentrating and focusing on the shave.

I feel the same. I've been dealing with depression for ages and for the last few years I just used the clippers to keep stubble low enough so I wouldn't get harassed at work. About 6 weeks or so ago I pulled out one of the few soaps I had left and shaved. Half way through my morning I noticed that the "fog" was starting to lift. Shaved again the next 2 mornings and I felt like a new person.

I'm not sure if it's the sensation of shaving, the scents or just the routine... whatever it is, it's a great anti depressant for me.

Thwack, I have also dealt with long bouts of depression, particularly in winter. The act of making soup is my pick me up. But yeah, shaving is an emotional lift, too! :)

Top Bottom