What's new

Shave Mac scratchy?

Here is a picture of two of my most expensive brushes. They are classified as luxury. The stainless one is my Muhle Rocca , and the other one is my shavemac Cl3 2 band SilverTip

I noticed that even though being visually stunning the performance on both of these is very scratching. The ShaveMac is a Great for face lathering, but is so dam scratchy!!!

I read on Muhle’s website that they use natural badger hair ( most do lol ) and they don’t treat the tips, or the hairs in general. Maybe that’s why?

I know some enjoy the scritchyness. Put in my opinion I believe the price range of like a YAQI is the most bang for your buck when it comes to high grade badgers. They are soft, hold heat and water Beautifully, and have decent backbone.

One thing I like about the Muhle is that I can un-screw the knot and put in a synthetic Muhle replacement I bought from them.
image.jpg

Here is a picture of two of my most expensive brushes. They are classified as luxury. The stainless one is my Muhle Rocca , and the other one is my shavemac Cl3 2 band SilverTip

I noticed that even though being visually stunning the performance on both of these is very scratching. The ShaveMac is a Great for face lathering, but is so dam scratchy!!!

I read on Muhle’s website that they use natural badger hair ( most do lol ) and they don’t treat the tips, or the hairs in general. Maybe that’s why?

I know some enjoy the scritchyness. Put in my opinion I believe the price range of like a YAQI is the most bang for your buck when it comes to high grade badgers. They are soft, hold heat and water Beautifully, and have decent backbone.

One thing I like about the Muhle is that I can un-screw the knot and put in a synthetic Muhle replacement I bought from them. View attachment 1478830
These are some of my favorite brushes, these are the rest in my collection besides my synthetic tuxedo that is already in my cabinet awaiting for my next shave to be used.
image.jpg

I happen to think the Shavemac 2 band is the best PPR (price performance ratio - a very German thing) in a 2 band at that level. I prefer it over my Simpsons. Ordered a D01 2 band fan, which you definitely wouldn’t like.

I think a lot depends on how you use it. If you're jamming that knot into your face I agree it's scratchy. It's 2 band hair and thicker so it's going to penetrate the skin better. That shavemac looks like it was set a hair deep, too, so it probably has some backbone. I would say don't splay the brush so hard and just use the tips. The hair on those shavemacs is soft so long as you're trying not to puncture your skin with it. If easing up doesn't work then untreated 2 band hair probably isn't for you.

I think a lot depends on how you use it. If you're jamming that knot into your face I agree it's scratchy. It's 2 band hair and thicker so it's going to penetrate the skin better. That shavemac looks like it was set a hair deep, too, so it probably has some backbone. I would say don't splay the brush so hard and just use the tips. The hair on those shavemacs is soft so long as you're trying not to puncture your skin with it. If easing up doesn't work then untreated 2 band hair probably isn't for you.
You’re right it does have great back bone I have to work in a little bit to splay it, how I like it. And I think all of these knots are set the same deep like this if you look at the pictures online

I happen to think the Shavemac 2 band is the best PPR (price performance ratio - a very German thing) in a 2 band at that level. I prefer it over my Simpsons. Ordered a D01 2 band fan, which you definitely wouldn’t like.
I haven’t had a chance to try a Simpson yet.

The Shave Mac is a beautiful brush hands down! I had my eye on it for years before I actually purchased it. Had to wait three months from Germany! But it is a good painter so I might just use it as that, because I got brush burn last time lol. All I’m saying is if I pay for a silver tip I’m expecting soft tips….that’s all, With that price high expected to be happy

The three shavemacs I have the hairs are very soft but i can't splay them very much or else they feel scratchy. Lathering just using the tips is a different feeling all togther.. I have the Beagle with a bulb very similar to your brush. It's a fantastic brush to face lather with euro stick soaps which I enjoy on occasion but it's not the brush I go after if I need.a real luxury shave with a heavy load of artisan soap product. I think it's simply the nature of untreated 2 band hair- although it's the most coveted hair it may not be for everyone.

And maybe the best advice I can offer- price is irrelevant with brushes. Higher priced hair doesn't necessarily mean it's going to feel the best to you.

Last edited:
Badger hair is always a little different from brush to brush. To some extent it’s the luck of the draw. My Shavemac two band is not my softest brush but it’s not at all scratchy or scritchy. The Shavemac three-band silvertip is a softer brush.

I've not found where they define DO-1 2 etc... what does that designation mean or would you kindly post a link?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Your experience is truly odd. I have never heard anyone call a Shave two-band silvertip scritchy. The D01 two band can be quite scrubby. I have sold a lot of brushes with the two-band silvertip, since this knot type came out, and had never anybody complaining about them to be scritchy or scratchy. Badger hair can vary from batch to batch, but as i said, I am using this hair in most of my brushes for 10+ years and have not experienced any or much variation. Have myself quite a few with this hair and they are all the same feeling on the face.
Maybe the other brushes you are using have been chemically/heat altered so they gel, sure, these are feeling soft. Shavemac's hair is not treated at all.

Your experience is truly odd. I have never heard anyone call a Shave two-band silvertip scritchy. The D01 two band can be quite scrubby. I have sold a lot of brushes with the two-band silvertip, since this knot type came out, and had never anybody complaining about them to be scritchy or scratchy. Badger hair can vary from batch to batch, but as i said, I am using this hair in most of my brushes for 10+ years and have not experienced any or much variation. Have myself quite a few with this hair and they are all the same feeling on the face.
Maybe the other brushes you are using have been chemically/heat altered so they gel, sure, these are feeling soft. Shavemac's hair is not treated at all.

I agree, a very surprising and unusual statement that the OP made there.

None of my 8 Shavemacs is “scratchy” and I wonder whether there is an element of confusion between the higher backbone of 2-band brushes and “scratchiness”, in particular as the Mühle Silvertips, one of which the OP also used, have little backbone in my experience.

Be it as it may, I believe this to be the first time I read about Shavemac “scratchiness” and am inclined to consider it an outlier comment.

B.

there is an element of confusion between the higher backbone of 2-band brushes and “scratchiness”, in particular as the Mühle Silvertips, one of which the OP also used, have little backbone in my experience.

I don't know that it is confusion, rather, setting your expectations with a brush that is on another level. My shavemacs have very soft tips, but if i jam those knots into my cheek like youtube shaving experts are doing with huge 30 mm knots and trying to splay the hairs it's going to feel like lathering with an olive tree. I've also read threads similar to this one.

Rudy, with respect you have certainly heard people say they have a scritchy Shavemac two-band silvertip. There was a previous thread in which a number of us pointed out that ours were scritchy and you participated in that thread (and made the same comment there). You may not have had one like this yourself, and you may not believe those of us who said we do, but you cannot say you have never heard anyone say it.

FWIW, my Shavemac two-band silvertip is still scritchy (but I still like it). My D01 two-band is not.

Here is the other thread I’m referring to. It was about 9 months ago.
Post in thread 'Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Question'
Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Question - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shavemac-2-band-silvertip-question.576972/post-11354106

Last edited:
Top Bottom